Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1978 - 1996 Big Bronco (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum44/)
-   -   Do you think a shortened Excursion could become a new Bronco? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/60607-do-you-think-a-shortened-excursion-could-become-a-new-bronco.html)

shadetree351 11-21-2000 02:52 PM

Do you think a shortened Excursion could become a new Bronco?

If there is a chance of "bringing back the Bronco", it will have to be with something which Ford has in current production, as far as engine and platform are concerned. There is some growing interest in Ford coming out with a shortened, 2 door version of the Excursion which could become a new full-sized Bronco. This could even have a small rear door, like the extended cab pickups are using, to access the back seat. The shortened wheelbase would make this vehicle able to make tight turns like it often needs to on the trails. If you are in favor of such a move, please respond to this message either in the usual way or by sending a response directly to shadetree351@home.com You might also think of this as a wishlist of how you would like to have it equipped. I have recently established a connection with a 4X4 Super Duty engineer at Ford who would very much like to see the Bronco brought back. He needs the ammunition from us to help accomplish this. So far I have sent him nearly 200 messages from folks who are interested in seeing Ford bring back some form of the Bronco, whether it be a full size version or the earlier, smaller version. If you would like to participate in this noble cause, please respond either to this message board or with a message directly to me. The message can be long or short, but the more specific and detailed, the better.
Thank you for your response.
Shadetree 351

odinmurphy 11-21-2000 03:51 PM

At one of the SEMA shows when the Excusion first came out they had an excusion with a removable back on it like the Bronco. Now, this had 4 doors, but theis truck looked good. If they were to bring the Bronco back in "SuperDuty" sheet-metal, I would like to see them give the option of the V-10 matched with the 4.10 gear ratio.

Just my thoughts

thanks

Murph

bigmhoff 12-01-2000 02:46 PM

While we're dreaming, how about a full convertible, like a 1971 Chevy Blazer!! Man on man, with a V-10!! And a weather-proof interior!! I would buy one as soon as I could!!

1995 Bronco Eddie Bauer- 351ci- 4" Pro-Comp lift - 33" BFG All-Terrain KOs on black AR wheels- Front & rear Maniks- K&N FIPK- Dynomax 3" catback- Awia Head and changer.

AlM 12-01-2000 06:13 PM

yo guys!

check out:
http://www.blueovalnews.com/

here is what they say:
"BRONCO
We've received a couple of comments concerning the next generation Explorer. First, a two door version will not be produced - that is wearing the Explorer nameplate. It is very likely that the next generation two door Explorer will be graced with the Bronco nameplate. . .which makes a lot of sense since the original Bronco's were much smaller than the F-Series. We've also heard that since Chevrolet will introduce a convertible Blazer next year, Ford might just follow suit. The two and four door Explorers will share similar components; however, will have different body styles."

In another Big Bronco BB forum a dude asked for opinions on the next Bronco and said he would forward them to his employer, Ford.

How about a bare bones 4x4 with man case...heavy duty interior cooling (without air)..like the aircraft individual nozzles.
"dunkable" engine/intake and ignition with an optional useable snorkle
PTO for a hydr or mech winch..for front and rear
washable interior
roof rack/rear carrier options for all our stuff
on board air
good seats, please1
more to come..
Have a great holiday gang!

bigmhoff 12-04-2000 03:49 PM

An explorer!?! BLAH! (oh, by the way, I didnt mean to say man on man in my above post, but man oh man, like saying wow, not I'm a homo.)

shadetree351 12-04-2000 11:14 PM

I agree completely. I do not think Ford would ever call an Explorer a Bronco. The Explorer just isn't strong enough. You can modify it by lifting it & giving it bigger tires, but the truck simply isn't strong enough to bear the Bronco name. It would be a disservice to do so. My indications from Ford are that this would NOT happen.
That said, please, folks, post some more messages here, or write to me directly at shadetree351@home.com The more you post, the more I can send on to Ford.
Thanks for these posts, guys. Now put some more up.
Shadetree 351

AlM 12-05-2000 05:41 AM

yes, hope not!

chrisl 12-05-2000 12:04 PM

Shadetree,

I'd love Ford to produce a new Bronco...I have a'93 that I love..loved it since the day I first saw the 'newer' Broncos. I'd buy another if given the chance.

Ponyman

swenson 12-05-2000 05:36 PM

I know I've already given my opinion on the topic, but I think a resurrected Bronco should live up to its original off-road heritage, circa 67-77. It should aim to compete with the Jeep TJ, a true off the lot four-wheeler, not some prissy sport ute that's meant to pamper its occupants. Solid axles(Dana 44 or better front and rear) on coils, manual T-case with only I-6 and V8 options and removable soft-hard tops. Give it a factory style rollcage like the TJ, and throw in some offroading tools like a Hi-Lift and winch. Sell it for around $20K and I think they'd have a winner.

bucket 12-06-2000 12:07 PM

The auto makers are making their profits on the luxo-SUVs, like the Tahoe, Expedition, etc. These vehicles are great road vehicles with all the comforts of a luxury car. They are fair(?) off-road vehicles, but most people buying them aren't like us. They rarely see serious off road work. Thus, these vehicles fit the bill for most, and with all the features etc. they are $$$expensive$$$ and profitable. I own a '79 XLT Bronco, and am restoring / rebuilding the engine now. I would absolutely love to see Ford revive the Bronco, if they made it for off roaders. Keep the Expedition for the luxo-SUV, and make the Bronco a more bare-bones, 4x4 with manual hubs, dana 44 front, NO push button 4x4 selector (NP205 would be best), 9" rear, room for 33's... The '78-'79 Broncos were built right, except they had to detune the 351M/400 engines with all the primitive/early smog stuff. Re-release this vehicle, and use the 5.4L engine. Bottom line is, there is a market for a more serious full size 4x4 SUV.

broncoman 12-06-2000 03:53 PM

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-Dec-00 AT 04:56 PM (EST)[/font][p] My thinking on this is if Ford wants to build the bronco it will have to use an existing platform to modify for Bronco duty.
Shortening the excursion would be ideal for heavy duty use but it would be a big ##### Bronco with an engine bay big enough for the v10 or powerstroke and probably quite expensive. Lots of aftermarket possibilites and easy to lift. It would be the ultimate Bronco but feasible selling to the masses??
Shortening the expedition is probably not a bad idea. A good size vehicle with good power. Not the easiest or cheapest to lift with the IFS but lots of aftermarket possibilites as well.
With the new explorer comming out soon thats wider and more powerful it too is a possible Bronco platform. I know it has the rear axles going through the frame for better interior room and same Torsion bar setup up front (I think) but maybe replacing the rear susp to a solid axle (perhaps front as well) and lifting it up at the same time might make it a more suitable off-road candidate. Add larger tires,2 fewer doors and other mods geared towards the off-roader. Its a good size, has descent fuel economy and has a v8 engine. Drop in the 5.4l and your rocking. Some very interesting possibilities and good marketability. A good size to challenge the jeeps thats for sure.

Just my thoughts resulting from a slow day at work.

mafman 12-08-2000 09:08 AM

This will never happen. You're looking at a stubby, plush version of the Excersion or Expedition at best. A vehicle that is more at home on a slalom course than on the trials. Independent front suspension, extremely low approach/departure angles due to insurance companies whining and moaning and a low center of gravity for the same reason.

The Bronco is gone. Find your used one before they're all trashed.

shadetree351 12-09-2000 12:03 AM

I like response #10. Folks, please send more. Think of using engines, etc. that Ford is already currently using. Thanks for all the great responses. Keep 'em coming.
shadetree351@home.com

jnholland 01-07-2001 05:52 PM

I know alot of you are probably not going to like this, but if you ever get in one, I think you will change your mind. Since Ford now owns Land Rover, how about bringing back a version of the Defender, which is no longer sold in the US, as the new Bronco. I think it would be a hit for the real off-roaders.

shadetree351 01-07-2001 10:34 PM

JNHolland,
Go to the Early Bronco Conference and click on the post called "Does this picture intrigue you?" In it you'll see a picture of the new Defender SVX (Special Vehicle X). It's a new version of the Defender 90. Ford may start importing the Defender 90 in 2003, hopefully including the SVX. It won't be a new Big Bronco or even a new Early Bronco, but it may help inspire a new Early Bronco. I agree with you that the Defender 90 needs to be imported again. Also check out the pics of computer altered Excursions that are posted at "Does this picture make your blood boil?" right here in this conference.
Shadetree 351