Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Remote start advice (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/603007-remote-start-advice.html)

johnw 04-15-2007 08:53 PM

Remote start advice

I have a 2005 f250 xl. I would like a remote start, and have heard many discuss the Viper. As you can see from the type of truck I own, I don't want lots of options (alarm, auto this, auto that). I just want to press a remote start button and the truck start. Any advice???? John

ReAX 04-15-2007 10:31 PM

Directed bought out design tech, but there should be some stock around. Designtech had a couple of start only models.

RAM7880 04-15-2007 11:39 PM

Try www.Directed.com , I have the Valet 561r, its pretty basic.

gross30 04-16-2007 07:52 AM

Astro Start, great options if you need them etc. Or just the basic. Mine is installed with an alarm and works great.

philips 04-16-2007 08:31 AM

I had Ziebart put one on my 2004 just after I bought it for around $250. I am satisfied. Philip.

PHWLEE 04-16-2007 07:17 PM

Your local alarm dealer should have just a remote start. I had one installed in one of my other vehicles. Works nicely. My truck does have the Viper and it has the remote start feature too, which I use all of the time during the cold and it works real nicely.

07 F250 Aggie Mobile 04-19-2007 11:33 AM

Viper Works Great!

New to site...just had the Viper installed in March from Best Buy. I love the functionallity becuase it will do some "neat" things such as remote up/down of power windows and the remote start. The "catch" is that for every pair windows you want to control, you have to purchase an additional module. I only bought one and I can remote down and up the two front windows. As for the remote start....there was some problems. It was the first 2007 that they had installed and it took longer than expected. Also, after it started, it would run for 10-15 seconds and shut off and try to restart itself and would repeat this cycle. I called back and was informed that I had to order another module that basically sends a false tach signal to the Viper which allows the remote start to function properly. Long story short, after it was all installed and properly configured, I love the Viper and the remote start capability.

Zip 04-19-2007 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by gross30
Astro Start, great options if you need them etc. Or just the basic. Mine is installed with an alarm and works great.

I have one of these as well. I am happy with it. I have no alarm but did have a starter interupter installed (a must have to keep truck from leaving yard again)
Nice basic starter that does what it is supposed to do.

PHWLEE 04-19-2007 11:53 AM

Anything is always better than nothing.

wiingnut 04-19-2007 05:59 PM

I have a code alarm remote start from code-alarm the dealer installed. Love it! Makes those cold mornings more tolerable

Lawheelsdirect 04-19-2007 06:21 PM

I would also suggest crimestopper. There products are very reliable..

edjunior 04-20-2007 11:21 AM

The code-alarm is what I have also, and it's great. It can be as stripped down as you need it, or loaded up. Works great.

johnw 04-21-2007 10:40 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I am like others and the older I get the more I like a warm truck in the morning. John

jdadamsjr 04-22-2007 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by johnw
I have a 2005 f250 xl. I would like a remote start, and have heard many discuss the Viper. As you can see from the type of truck I own, I don't want lots of options (alarm, auto this, auto that). I just want to press a remote start button and the truck start. Any advice???? John

Good Luck with your decision, Have had remote starts for the last few vehicles and probably will never have another without one again :)

Only thing the next one will have to have is a two way signal to at least tell me if I was in range to start... you might consider it since you are not always in line of sight to see the lights blink or the horn to chirp acknowledging the signal was received...

Green_Dually 04-22-2007 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Lawheelsdirect
I would also suggest crimestopper. There products are very reliable..

Thats who i switched to (model 2016fm) and love it.I had the ultrastart before this one.
I only have one problem with the unit i installed and having a hard time to get the answer.But thats a different topic.