Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1978 - 1996 Big Bronco (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum44/)
-   -   Engaging 4WD with auto hubs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/60213-engaging-4wd-with-auto-hubs.html)

fast_eddy 11-26-2001 10:17 AM

Engaging 4WD with auto hubs

I have a '96 Bronco XLT with auto hubs and the shifter on the floor 4WD. My question is: Can my 4WD be engaged while moving, and if so, up to what speed is it safe to do so? I have a friend that does it with his push button 4WD, but I didn't know how different mine was with the shifter!

Thanks!!!

AlM 11-26-2001 12:21 PM

Yo,
The Ford Owner's Guide does not specify a max speed for shifting between 4hi to 2 hi or vice versa. I haven't exceeded 50 mph in these shifts yet due to road conditions and traffic.
Here is the info from my 96's (man Xfer case) Ownwer's Guide (manual)
"To shift from 4H to 2H:
Move the transfer case shift lever straight
forward to the 2H position. This can be done at
any speed. To disengage the automatic locking
hubs, operate the vehicle in 2H in the opposite
direction for approximately 10 feet (3 meters).
For example:
If you were driving the vehicle forward in
4H, the automatic locking hubs will
disengage the next time the vehicle is driven
in reverse in 2H for approximately 10 feet (3
meters).
If you were driving the vehicle in reverse in
4H, the automatic locking hubs will
disengage the next time the vehicle is driven
forward in 2H for approximately 10 feet (3
meters).
— Operating in 2H with the hubs locked
increases fuel consumption, noise, vibration, and
wear. For prolonged 2H operation on dry
pavement, disengage the automatic locking hubs."

so, to drive on a snowy road which has "dry" areas here and there, just start off in 4 hi and move the Xfer case lever up to 2 hi when you encounter a stretch of "dry" road. The hubs will remain locked. Then shift the lever back to 4 hi when it gets slippery/snowy again.
Do you need an owner's manual?
if so, get it here for free (dnload) from Ford:
https://www.ownerconnection.com/FormsLoginSSL.asp?Make=Unbranded&Model=default&L=4 9&N=840
or see the attached file

Flash 11-26-2001 07:44 PM

The correct answer for your setup is NO. You do not have shift on the fly. And be glad of it. If you 4 wheel much, the less automatic crap the better. Yours is like mine. You must stop, put it in neutral, engage the transfer case to high or low, then put it in gear and go.

honney 11-26-2001 11:16 PM

Sorry Flash, I gotta disagree. To the original poster: the info cited from the owner's manual is correct. You can pull it into 4hi at any speed you choose. Because you have auto hubs, they'll engage automatically when the front d/s starts spinning (thus causing the front axleshafts to spin). IOW, just pull the lever!LOL NO need to stop or put it in neutral unless you wanna go to 4lo.
To drop out of 4hi, just push the lever back down, again at any speed you choose. The hubs will remain locked (no big deal) until you back up 10 feet as cited from the owners manual. Very simple.
If you wanna learn something about your truck, go climb under it right now (in 2hi) and spin the front d/s by hand, watch for the axleshafts to turn. Within a few revolutions or less you'll hear the hubs engage and you won't be able to turn the d/s anymore. No big deal but it'll familiarize u w/the workings of your front end.
As I've said before these systems are extremely simple and pretty much the only way you can screw them up is to drive on dry pavement for extended periods in 4hi. BTW, manual t-case in a 96? SCORE!-the push-button sucks for reliability.

Mr Baja 11-27-2001 01:08 PM

I enjoy my automatic push button 4WD on my 92. I use it with 4hi&lo often enough and have not had a problem yet. Everyone else says it sucks, unreliable, crap. What problems do they think I will inevitable encounter? Any hard evidence? Or is it just a "STICK" thing ;)

honney 11-27-2001 01:16 PM

The shift motors have proven themselves to be very unreliable. My only hard evidence is years on 3 different mailing lists and 3 BBS's such as this. The motors are expensive and becoming harder to find in 'yards. If you like it, that's good, I'm glad to hear your truck works well for you.

adelyser 11-27-2001 01:35 PM

I also have the push-button 4WD, and it has worked flawlessly. I now have 140,000 miles on my '94. The automatic locking hub on the passenger side did blow out, but a new set of Warn Premiums fixed that. I have heard more problems with the Ford Automatic hubs than the push-button 4WD, across the entire line of Ford 4X4's.

Aaron D.

AlM 11-27-2001 05:36 PM

i believe I read the post incorrectly; he asked, "... have a '96 Bronco XLT with auto hubs and the shifter on the floor 4WD. My question is: Can my 4WD be engaged while moving...?"
Flash is right, if Eddie meant can he engage 4 hi (or 4 low) when starting in 2 hi and while the bronco is in motion. If so, Flash is correcto mongo! He can't engage 4x4 with the manual xfer case in this case.
I posted how he could switch between 4 hi and 2 hi and back and forth after he starts out in 4 hi. Sorry!

fast_eddy 11-28-2001 10:23 AM

Okay...I'm still confused since I've had a couple of different answers on this. So if I am driving along in 2HI, I just can't grab the shifter and switch to 4HI. I have to actually come to a stop first, right? But if the hubs are already engaged, then I can switch back and forth between 2HI and 4HI at will? I appreciate any clarification on this!!!

adelyser 11-28-2001 01:19 PM

You can engage 4HI while either at a stop or moving. Just pull the lever from 2HI to 4HI. If you want to engage 4LO, you must stop and put the tranny in neutral first. You can go between 4HI and 2HI all you want, stopped or moving. It is called "Shift on the fly".

Aaron D.

adelyser 11-28-2001 01:22 PM

Sorry, I forgot about the hubs. If you have automatic locking hubs, then it doesn't matter. You can still shift into 4HI from 2HI while moving, the hubs will lock when you engage 4HI. If you go back to 2HI, your hubs will disengage the next time you reverse your direction. Then when you want to use 4HI again, pull the lever, and the hubs will again lock if they are not already locked.

If you have manual hubs, you will want to lock the hubs before using 4WD at all. You can leave the hubs locked, and shift between 4HI and 2HI as desired. Driving in 2HI with the hubs locked causes no damage, just more gas comsumption.

Aaron D.

honney 11-28-2001 04:16 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 28-Nov-01 AT 05:17 PM (EST)]>so, Flash is correcto mongo! He can't engage 4x4 with the
>manual xfer case in this case.
>I posted how he could switch between 4 hi and 2 hi and back
>and forth after he starts out in 4 hi. Sorry!

I'm not understanding what's said here, but Adelyser is right. U can shift into 4hi anytime you please, moving, stopped, upside down, sideways, whatever. You don't have to start off in 4hi. Push button or manual shift t-case is irrelevant, it all works the same. Push button just has a motor which mimics the movement you accomplish by manually pulling a lever on manual t-cases.
Like I said, auto hubs will automatically lock - they just won't last LOL! Manual hubs you'll have to lock yourself, but no harm is done if you put the t-case in 4hi with manuals UNlocked, it just won't do you any good. And as already said, no harm is done driving w/the hubs locked but t-case in 2hi.
Again, these systems are very simple. The ONLY rules to PREVENT POSSIBLE DAMAGE are don't drive in 4wd on dry pavement and don't try to shift into 4LO while moving (don't worry, it won't let you but you might hear some cool grinding noises which are disconcerting). ANYTHING else you wanna do, go for it, you're not gonna hurt a thing. Ignore all the taboo.

AlM 11-28-2001 05:45 PM

"To shift from 2H to 4H:
Stop the vehicle and move the transfer case shift
lever straight back to the 4H position, the
automatic locking hubs will engage when the
vehicle is driven. When the automatic locking
hubs are engaged, shifts between 2H and 4H
may take place at any speed."
from 96 bronco's Owner's Guide (man Xfer case; auto hubs)

honney 11-29-2001 08:02 AM

I'll be damned! I stand corrected. Thinking Ford had included this only in later owner's manuals realizing that their 3-bolt auto hubs are even weaker than the original 5-bolts, I checked the owner's manual for my '90 - it says the same thing! So, I guess that's rule #3 to prevent possible damage. Of course a far better rule would be "convert to manual hubs ASAP." I've seen two Fords reduced to the strap on the same trail ride because of the autos.

Franklin2 11-29-2001 10:16 AM

I don't see how you could shift into 4hi while moving, when the front axles and front driveshaft are just sitting there not turning. Something would have to get them going before you could engage them. Once you get the auto hubs engaged, they will turn the front end themselves, including the front driveshaft. So THEN, you could shift back and forth. There's one other way to prove this. Start out in 2hi and pull the lever back very lightly. You will hear this nasty scraping sound. I am not sure, but I think this "shift on the fly" pushbutton stuff, is totally different. Isn't that servo motor engaging and disengaging something in the front differential? And on the newer system, the axles turn all the time.