Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pennsylvania Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum182/)
-   -   Greeting from Scotland...near PA. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/599375-greeting-from-scotland-near-pa.html)

Quiff_boy_Elvis 04-05-2007 02:51 PM

Greeting from Scotland...near PA.

Hello,
I am 36 and live in Scotland and am seriously considering importing a yellow 1956 v8 F100. Valorie front end, custom interior.

I saw it on EBay (off now) and am getting closer (very close) to purchase.

I paid for an inspection and was intrigued by the report summary. I know pretty much nothing about vehicles nor engines, but figure this might be an entertaining place to start(!) The report says:
"Oil pressure went off the gauge. Twin electric fans fitted to radiator."
and
"The trucks condition is best described as a 'driver' maybe leaning towards 'clean driver'. Generally it is clean but it is not without issues and it is somewhat amateurish in its execution. Much of the truck is fiberglass which really goes to value." --He is looking for $20k to buy it, which is quite a few of your American bucks... But it is appraised at $14k tops!

So, I am slightly worried about the oil pressure. Unsure about the implication of two electric fans. And wonder if the statement about the fiberglass means I should stay well away...

I want to drive it at weekends as I tootle about doing DIY and ferrying kids.
I'm getting 3 x 4point belts and windshield wipers put in (if I buy it).

Learned friends, what do you think?

And, why I've posted here is that the truck is in Greensburg. Anyone know / recognise it? http://picasaweb.google.com/Quiff.boy.elvis/F100/

The trouble is, I cannot see the "amateur-ness" in the pics --clearly the inspector is trying to tell me something, but I'm not smart enough to see it...

Any hints?

acheda 04-06-2007 09:25 AM

Twin electric fans are one way to efficiently cool a rectangular radiator and are not necessarily a bad thing. Oil pressure "off the guage" is not much help without a real number - your appraiser is more interested in writing poetry than in providing you the service you paid for. Fiberglass could be nice, if well-done, but could be a nightmare if the parts are cheap and start failing. If I were a buyer, I'd stick to an all-steel body.

I think the "amateur-ness" is the last straw. This is the problem with buying something from pretty pictures - they only show the good points. I can imagine a lot of kludge-type stuff that would be a pain to put right IF you were a mechanic. In your case I would steer clear. If the front suspension splice has problems, you really will have problems.

Quiff_boy_Elvis 04-06-2007 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by acheda
Twin electric fans are one way to efficiently cool a rectangular radiator and are not necessarily a bad thing. Oil pressure "off the guage" is not much help without a real number - your appraiser is more interested in writing poetry than in providing you the service you paid for. Fiberglass could be nice, if well-done, but could be a nightmare if the parts are cheap and start failing. If I were a buyer, I'd stick to an all-steel body.

I think the "amateur-ness" is the last straw. This is the problem with buying something from pretty pictures - they only show the good points. I can imagine a lot of kludge-type stuff that would be a pain to put right IF you were a mechanic. In your case I would steer clear. If the front suspension splice has problems, you really will have problems.

Thanks for your help. I think I am probably going to go with it if I get a good price. Seems like there's plenty of people on this side of the pond that have plenty of experience, so if there's going to be problems, I guess I'll just have sell a kid or two...

Thanks again.
QbE

soondg 04-06-2007 11:59 AM

Hello Quiff, Hopefully a member from that part of the state could do a drive by for you and check it out.

Quiff_boy_Elvis 04-06-2007 12:03 PM

Well, there's at least a bottle of finest single malt up for grabs...

Thanks,
QbE

soondg 04-06-2007 12:12 PM

About you selling your kids, I'm not interested. In fact I just finished telling some of mine that I would be sending them back to their ancesteral home for a vacation, hoping they get lost in the moors.