Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ford vs The Competition (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum17/)
-   -   Best Heavy Duty - GM, Ford, Dodge? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/598697-best-heavy-duty-gm-ford-dodge.html)

GNR 04-03-2007 06:30 PM

Best Heavy Duty - GM, Ford, Dodge?

I'd like to hear from those that have experience with more than one maker (newer the better as I am looking at new trucks).

Aside from engines/tranny's who makes the best, toughest, most reliable Heavy Duty? Who has the best build quality (running gear, body, paint, interior)?

I have asked aside from engines and tranny's as I have researched that area and think I have a pretty good handle on it. In general I think all have pretty good gassers (I prefer Ford and GM). No secret that Ford's diesel has had some difficulties.

Thanks.

hofuf 04-03-2007 07:13 PM

I don't think Ford makes a heavy duty-they make a SUPER DUTY. :-D

BigF350 04-03-2007 07:13 PM

I think as a gasser - the V10 is the best (and only) HD engine available, with the fact that the 8.1 isn't offered anymore...
Transmission wise... apart from the fact it doesn't have 6 ratios (and the infamous snap ring debacle), the Torqshift has earned itself the reputation of the strongest transmission available in a 3/4-1 ton (having said that, the 6speed Allison isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination - just more $$$ if you need an overhaul)
Differentials are all much of a muchness... unless having an LSD that actually operates as an LSD matters (GM's locker is a nifty unit).
Frame wise - Ford gets the honour there.

Interior comes down to personal preference, and the trim level you are interested in, but its pretty hard to top the KR interior (if thats your thing - give me hose out vinyl).

Paint - honestly don't know here...

Electrics and other stuff - my experience with MOPAR products in this department leads me to recommend you to give them a wide berth. I can only hope they have improved. However my experience with Fords vaccum assisted hubs has been less than impressive too...

The biggest stumbling block is the diesel engine. They jury is still out on the 6.4 (and it probably will be for a bit).
I honestly have faith... but faith don't count for much when you have spent 60k on a new truck, only for it to leave you on the side of the road after less than 10000miles.

Want a diesel that is known to be the best, toughest and most reliable HD. Find an 07 SD.
Want a diesel that is the best, and could be the toughest and most reliable... Take a punt on an 08 SD.

But in honesty, all 3 make pretty impressive units. Drive them, price them, and see what you think (and report back!!!)
If you want a bare as bones work truck, one that you don't care about its ride (or much else for that matter!!!)
A Cummins with stick.
The Chevy with a Duramax and Allison drives better than it should, and you will walk away impressed.
However my opinion is that even with 07's Ford had the best truck available. The 08's have moved the goal posts even further.

edgl 04-03-2007 11:54 PM

Gee, another "whats better" thread. I don't think you are going to get a non bias opinion here. Everyone here will tell you a Ford is the only way. Whats the purpose of asking such questions here?

GNR 04-04-2007 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by edgl
Gee, another "whats better" thread. I don't think you are going to get a non bias opinion here. Everyone here will tell you a Ford is the only way. Whats the purpose of asking such questions here?

Where should I ask it?

SMIGGS 04-04-2007 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by edgl

Ford vs the competition, what's the confusing part of this for you?

GNR,

You posted in the right area.

GNR 04-04-2007 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by SMIGGS
Ford vs the competition, what's the confusing part of this for you?

GNR,

You posted in the right area.

Thanks SMIGGS. I know I'm in the right place. Just returning the favor.

93RangerXL4x2 04-04-2007 09:08 PM

Ford own 54% of the Superduty market.

edgl 04-04-2007 10:07 PM

This Board is biased for Ford, and everyone knows it. Not a bad thing, but don't tell me that he will get a honest answer. I have been here for awhile, and know what answers he will get. I have an 06 F350 dually, and love it. I had a Chevy 3500 with a 454, single rear wheel. It went over 160,000 miles with very few problems. I needed a dually, and I liked the Ford, so that is what I use as a work truck. My current truck just turned 30,000 miles, and not a single problem. That new Torqueshift transmission is really a great tranny. The only way for somone to find out what truck is for them, is to drive them all, and see what feels right to them. Most of the newer American trucks are really good, and what feels good is what you get. My F350 SD has a utility body on it. I needed a pick-up for home use, and I got an 06 Silverado 1500 work truck. It has rubber floors, and no frills. It works great for my home use. I like the big 3 trucks.

93RangerXL4x2 04-05-2007 05:05 AM

Fords Professional Grade. Fords Caterpillliar on a job site.

Musclecar_Fan 04-05-2007 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by 93RangerXL4x2
Ford own 54% of the Superduty market.

Actually they own 100% of the Super Duty market. They are the only company that makes "Super Duty" trucks. Dodge and GM use Heavy Duty. :-D

All joking aside. All of the big 3 make a good Heavy Duty truck. It's personal preference in the market today. The Cummins engine is a real pull factor for Dodge owners. Cummins powered Rams are capable of towing prettymuch anything you want. They're good for many many miles as well.

V10_Cougar 04-05-2007 10:27 AM

But I also heard ISB are not better than V8 Diesel. This is coming from a Diesel mechanic that works for Peterbuilt.

93RangerXL4x2 04-05-2007 03:55 PM

Fords are good, anything you want 2.

DMAX-HD 04-05-2007 04:29 PM

I got my 03 Chevy D/A in 02 well over 100k miles - no problems. I had a Powesstroke 7.3 prior to that also a good truck with no probelms.

duramaximizer 04-05-2007 07:57 PM

Don't have much experience with ford other than friends relatives and hear say. I would put the 06 duramax allison up against any on overall reliabilty of the entire package. The 07 should be much of the same. DPF being the only new thing for 07.

Dodge has the new 6.7 that I believe is not near as close to the 5.9 as I had once thought. It is built like the 400 small block. It has no sleeves and liners I think it is all one piece. There is a name for it, but I don't recall it off the top. It also has no room for water to go between the cylinders so they build up more heat but also should be stronger in that spot. Do some research, but I think GM has the most carry over from 06 to 07.

I won't go into body style.

On gassers, the new GM 6.0 out pulls the V10 with a trailer hooked to it if I read correctly. The 6 speed tranny has a lot more beef, and seems to have a lot of the same features as the allison. Grade braking etc.