Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Alaska Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum152/)
-   -   Still Sledding? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/597065-still-sledding.html)

53fatfndr 03-30-2007 11:21 AM

Still Sledding?

Well, I went for my last ride yesterday. Typical spring conditions here, hard pack most of the day then real soft and "corny" in the afternoon. If I were to head up north a little more north, towards the McCall, Idaho area, I could probably ride up until early May. Anyways, looks like my season is done, but I'm assuming you guys probably ride until early June :)

This year started off good, then we had a dry spell, then it got good again with a few more storms. Hopefully next year will be better. How was your guys season?

B-one 03-30-2007 02:40 PM

yup, still sleddin here. i went just yesterday for an 'after work' ride.

springtime riding up here is the best in my opinion.

gt250 03-30-2007 06:40 PM

The weather here is in the 30's today, clear and sunny perfect for going to the mountains. I have rode as late as the end of April

53fatfndr 03-31-2007 05:07 PM

I like spring sledding for the fact that the snow is alot more packed and dense making it easier to hill climb. But, I still like a decent amount of powder. Both snow conditions have their pros and cons. I wouldn't mind trailering a few hours north to get another sledding trip in this year, but I don't think I'm going to find the time.

Ak68F250 03-31-2007 10:11 PM

Took the 4 year daughter out for a spin on the 800rmk. She calls it hers all she wants to do is go fast on it. Temp 30s but good snow on the river.
Do have relatives in McCall. We can ride till end of April or May depending on the river conditions. We like to ride on open water up here.

mlb4966 04-06-2007 12:40 AM

I agree spring time riding is the best. Dropped over on the Copper River a few days ago and some nice powder down there.

Week before that we rode from Thompson Pass, Tsaina River, Tsaina Glacier, Tonsina Glacier, Tonsina Lake, Tonsian River with a lunch break at the Tonsina Lodge then returned the same way. River was starting to show signs of breakup so that might be the last trip that way.

2 weeks ago we tried Thompson Pass to Eureka but the Nelchina Glacier is just not really do-able right now.

Still plenty of snow on Thompson Pass but some of the mountain passes are showing the winds that we had for 2 months straight. It's bad when you climb to the top and wish you had your 4-wheeler for some of the trip.

gt250 04-06-2007 01:43 AM

just got a report yesterday, snow is going qiuk up in the hills. i dont get back into town till next week. Still hoping to get one more ride in somewhere.

mlb4966 04-25-2007 02:59 PM

Well me and my oldest went riding this weekend. Not bad and the last few days we have been getting new snow above 2000. With that said I did go ahead and put the machines away for the season. I just have to many things to accomplish before vacation. Still need to get some fuel stab and run that through along with a grease job.

gt250 04-26-2007 07:59 PM

I did'nt get my last ride in this year, Oh well hopefully I'll have time next year.