Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.4L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum169/)
-   -   Regeneration? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/596984-regeneration.html)

bkcowboss 03-30-2007 05:01 AM

Regeneration?

I have seen this term thrown around quite a bit, just hoping someone can make sense of it for me. thanks in advance. Also a laymans description of the new exhaust requirements if there is one would be great

kimminau2 03-30-2007 09:56 AM

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but simply put when the DPF (deisel particulate filter) gets dirty it does not filter properly, therefore the PCM adds some fuel to the exhaust stroke which raises the exhaust temperature and burns the DPF clean. This process is called regeneration.

bkcowboss 03-30-2007 01:56 PM

hence the bad gas mileage during the regen process. Thanks for the clarification

Bobmarlin 03-30-2007 04:04 PM

How often does regeneration occur? Once a day? Once a week? Once a month? I have not read anywhere how often to expect it. I sure do want a nice 09 when they hit the floor next year. Hopefully the wife does not threaten the old "Lorena Bobbitt Treatment" for my new truck problem...

66stang351 03-30-2007 04:48 PM

I think the official statement was every 100-600 miles.

tn mac 03-30-2007 08:48 PM

I believe it depends on the way the truck is used, and weather it is driven in the city or the hwy, if used a little harder it doesnt regen as often, as I understand it.

kimminau2 03-31-2007 12:17 AM

I have a little over 2500 miles on mine now. I know of only 1 regen which just occurred. If it did it earlier (which it probably did) I was unaware of it.

rollerstud98 03-31-2007 01:36 AM

what does it sound like during regen?

bamacommander 03-31-2007 07:38 AM

The truck regen process has a part of its filtering system that gets up and over 2000 degrees. This is not a good idea. I think you will see other issues like field and grass fires. Stay tuned because Chevy and Dodge use similiar systems. Thank you Washington and all those tree huggers who made this possible.

CanadaGuy 03-31-2007 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by rollerstud98
what does it sound like during regen?

Here's a tad of info from a previous post...
ISSUE:
2008 F-Series vehicles equipped with the 6.4L diesel engine are equipped with an oxidation catalytic converter (OC) and diesel particulate filter (DPF). The function and operation of these parts may cause some customers to perceive an issue with their vehicle.

ACTION:
Review the Operating Characteristics with the customer.

OPERATING CHARACTERISTICS

Diesel particulates in the exhaust are trapped by the DPF. Regeneration is the process by which exhaust temperatures are increased so the particulates are combusted.

The frequency and length of regeneration will fluctuate as both are determined by the drive cycle. For most drive conditions, regeneration frequency will vary from 100 - 600 miles (161 - 804 Km) between occurrence and last from 10 to 40 minutes. The first regeneration does not require 100 miles (161 Km) and may occur at any time. The length of regeneration is usually reduced if a constant speed above 30 MPH (48 Km/h) is maintained.

The following is a list of normal operation while the vehicle is in regeneration, and do not require repair. If you are not sure if the vehicle is in regeneration, IDS can be used to monitor the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) PID.

Engine idle speed can be 1100 to 1200 RPM in park/neutral with foot off brake.
High idle speed drops to within 50 RPM of normal idle when the brake pedal is touched, PRNDL is actuated, or clutch is actuated.
White smoke in cold ambients is normal and the amount will be increased during regeneration.
Powertrain power is limited to 325 horsepower (HP).
Engine responsiveness may be slightly different than normal operation.
During initiation of regeneration, exhaust smell may be noticed - especially on new vehicles.
Powertrain sound will be different including air induction noise (including flutter on deceleration or engine shut down), exhaust noise, and changes in engine radiated noise.
During regeneration, exhaust temperatures are elevated.
The following is also normal and may be observed by a technician using a diagnostic tool. It is not likely that a customer would be aware of these:

The throttle body is only active during the regeneration process and during shutdown.
EGR is not operating during regeneration.

Stalwart 03-31-2007 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by bamacommander
The truck regen process has a part of its filtering system that gets up and over 2000 degrees.

ER . . . NO! If the exhaust temperature got that hot your turbos would fail. The filter needs temperatures around 1000 degrees to burn the soot. This is an acceptable temperature for the turbo components and is common during moderate/heavy pulling in any Diesel truck.