Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   TorqShift Tranny dealer flush service and price? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/596678-torqshift-tranny-dealer-flush-service-and-price.html)

2005X 03-29-2007 09:57 AM

TorqShift Tranny dealer flush service and price?

I have found and read several older post's on the topic, and called 3 local dealers this morning to inquire about the service. One could not get me into their "truck schedule" for over a week, I said "even for a flush, the truck is running fine..." Yea, that backed up. So, down to 2 dealers.

One guy kept telling me there is no filter exept the one in the pan, and they flush with the "correct friction modifiers" - I know you don't need them with Merc SP and asked again, you sure that's for a 2005 model with TS tranny? Maybe their techs know better, but with frustration (esp since this is the dealer I bought from) I hung up and called the third.

This one know about the SP (correct) fluid and the external filter, but said they don't normally change them for the 30k service, suggest wait until 60k. After looking at some pics here, I want it changed and may just do it myself after they do the flush. Now, the price: $179 + tax (9.25% in TN) for just the flush, no filter. Wow, I do my own oil and fuel filters, so have not called for prices lately, is this about normal?? I know it's a lot of SP fluid, but ouch. Just thought I'd check before heading out this afternoon. Thanks!

labrown 03-29-2007 10:07 AM

I got mine done at a local transmission shop for about $130. They dropped the pan, and changed both filters. About 6qts. of SP.

firesoutmatt 03-29-2007 10:08 AM

Thats a good price for a flush . I would do it and be done with it. SP is about 5 qrt depending where you get it. Takes about 18- 20 qrts for a complete flush .

Thats 100 bucks just for the fluid.
The filter is only a couple bucks and should be changed with the flush.

firesoutmatt 03-29-2007 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by labrown
I got mine done at a local transmission shop for about $130. They dropped the pan, and changed both filters. About 6qts. of SP.

They didn't flush it ??
Just changed fluid in the pan ??

2005X 03-29-2007 10:38 AM

good point

Originally Posted by firesoutmatt
Thats a good price for a flush . I would do it and be done with it. SP is about 5 qrt depending where you get it. Takes about 18- 20 qrts for a complete flush .

Thats 100 bucks just for the fluid.
The filter is only a couple bucks and should be changed with the flush.

I knew the fluid is costly, but had not really added up 18 quarts if I purchase it. I guess I'll go thru with it, and if they don't change the filter or want a lot $$ for it I can do that myself at home later. Just seems odd that it's not included in their quoted price for the tranny flush.

They are a little higher the the others, but it's worth $15 more just since he knew what he was talking about on the phone for a change!!

Will let y'all know how it turns out...Geoff.

southbound35west 03-29-2007 10:42 AM

i just had my 2006 flushed, it was $180 and took about 18 quarts........i changed the external filter when i got home........ford wanted like $40 more to change the external filter. i will have them change the filter in the pan next time i go around 65k.

Powerstroke_wannabe 03-29-2007 11:28 AM

Yep. Similar price on my recent flush, around $190 including tax. However, their 30K tranny service didn't call for replacement of the external filter. They said it wasn't required. I opened up my owner's manual and showed them where it specifically says to replace the external filter as well as the fluid. They went ahead and changed the external filter when they did the flush but charged me an extra $40 for the filter. I didn't have time to do the filter change myself, so I'm not complaining. But I'll take care of that part of the flush on the next go around.

texcan 03-29-2007 11:53 AM

When I took min in last year, I took the 2 filters with me and had them change them out and flush the system with 18qts. The bill was $125. Has it gone up that much? I told them I wanted my old filters and when I got home I cut them up to look at, they needed to be replaced!

2005X 03-29-2007 06:12 PM

Here's the damage...

$179 + tax + $11 for an environmental fee, forgot to mention that to me over the phone = $210 total(TN sales tax is painfull). Didn't put up a fight since he was the only 1 of 3 dealers that knew their stuff. However, I asked how much more for the filter, $55 (45 filter, 10 install), I passed on that, can order at least 2 filters online for $40 or so, will do that next week.

I think I may go the route discussed in another thread, which is just drain the pan and do the filter every 15k miles or so, rather than flushing at 60k.

Geoff.

WishIhada7.3 03-29-2007 06:19 PM

but then your still just mixing old and new fluid together...just better to get rid of it all at once IMO.

a-rod 03-29-2007 06:21 PM

My filter change and flush was $220.00

oldgoalie 03-31-2007 06:54 AM

When I had mine done last year it was right around $200. Dealer changed the external filter too.

Powerstroke_wannabe 03-31-2007 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by WishIhada7.3
but then your still just mixing old and new fluid together...just better to get rid of it all at once IMO.

Agree with Wish. I'm not real happy about $200 for a flush but how much does a new tranny cost? I'm more comfortable insuring all the fluid gets replaced with new/fresh fluid every 30k miles so I'll stay with this flush interval.

Ray Hamel 04-01-2007 05:32 AM

Somewhere on this site I read that there is a thermostat in the super duty trans. system and in order to remove all the trans. fluid a flushing machine capable of heating the fluid should be used (in order to open the trermostat).

I have asked four different service departments about this but they just blink their eyes and shrug their shoulders.

I am coming up to my first fluid change and would like to know how confused I may be.

Thanks for any info. on this subject.

npccpartsman 04-01-2007 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by labrown

Then they did it very incorrectly since just dropping the pan and changing the filters won't help you much. This tranny needs to be flushed and simply dropping the pan won't get but 1/3 of the old fluid out. They obvioulsy didn't know what they were doing or they just wanted to screw you (which they did). There's no way to get all of the fluid out of the torque convertor (about 8 quarts) without flushing.

Ray---There is a procedure in the tech folder for changing the filters and fluid the correct way, however you are right.....there is a thermostat in the system that really needs heated fluid for it to open and get through the whole system. For what a new tranny costs (or the price of an overhaul kit) the flush is well worth the money.