Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Automotive Discussion (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum135/)
-   -   Evolution of the ford truck (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/596266-evolution-of-the-ford-truck.html)

captain p4 03-28-2007 09:13 AM

Evolution of the ford truck

Someone posted a picture a while back that had all the different body styles and changes through the years of the Ford trucks and I can't seem to find it anywhere, does anyone know where it is or what I'm talking about?

thanks..

wendell borror 03-28-2007 10:00 AM

No but they have a poster like that at my ford dealer, shows all the different p/u's and changes from the model T untill the present F-150, it would be a cool poter to have.

jimandmandy 03-28-2007 10:53 AM

I dont have a picture or link, but a comment. It seems that before WWII, pickup trucks were basically passenger cars with a bed. It wasn't until after WWII that they were a completely separate chassis and body from the cars.

Jim

tjc transport 03-28-2007 04:14 PM

not quite. the model TT was all truck.
and the TT was in production way before anyone thought WW2

Originally Posted by jimandmandy
I dont have a picture or link, but a comment. It seems that before WWII, pickup trucks were basically passenger cars with a bed. It wasn't until after WWII that they were a completely separate chassis and body from the cars.

Jim

DaMole 03-28-2007 07:50 PM

http://www.autotrend.com/pic/9339.jpg

I found this one but I dont think it is the one you are looking for but it is neat looking.

captain p4 03-28-2007 10:04 PM

cool, yeah something like that is what I was looking for, do you know if there is a bigger version? thanks!

Mil1ion 03-28-2007 10:12 PM

What size ?

Full Wall Size ?

I have only seen them about 40" x 30" at dealership's

captain p4 03-28-2007 10:51 PM

A full size poster would be great if I could order it somewhere, but I was just looking for a little bigger picture so I could make out the years and such. That one is two-three generations behind though, haha.

NumberDummy 03-29-2007 04:21 AM

Classic Motorbooks International has full sized posters of nearly everything Ford made, from the A Model of 1903 to Zephyrs. Yes, there were two Model A's..1903-5, and 1928-31. The Zephyr's were the original Lincolns from 1935-42, not the Mercury versions from 1978-83. The Zephyr name was dropped by Lincoln in 1946-48, though the cars were identical to the 1942 version.

Back around 1909, International offered a high wheeler truck. It was nothing more than a buckboard on wheels, and the wheels were just that, wooden wagon wheels with hard rubber attached.

In 1925, Ford offered the first purpose built light truck. It was basically a Model T roadster with a pickup bed in place of the the "turtle back" the roadster had. So Ford does get credit for the first light pickup, but Dodge (Graham) offered a 3/4 ton pickup the year before. Very few were built. In 1935, Ford pickup trucks/panels broke away from the car bodies and offered unique sheet metal and frames. In 1940-41, Ford trucks mimiced the 1939-40 passenger car style, but the sheetmetal doesn't interchange.

First COE = 1935 Studebaker. While previous trucks like FWD's, Nash Quads and Packards offered a flat front end with the driver sitting high above, the engines were further back on the frame. Most of those early trucks used worm drive. Try finding parts for that set up today.

FWD gets the credit for the worlds first 4 wheel drive truck. They were built in Wisconsin. FWD = Four Wheel Drive. The Nash Quads were the 2nd 4WD truck. Quad = 4WD. Nashes were also built in Wisconsin (Kenosha).

7700Rob 03-30-2007 11:04 PM

C3MY-17906-AA

Bill, you're a walking Automotive encylopedia. I was only in the business a short time, worked with a feller who'd been in it since the 50's. Always interesting to hear the history only a parts guy would know. Thanks!!

:-offtopic sorry.

angus 03-31-2007 01:36 AM

I happen to have an extra copy of that poster... I'd be willing to swap it for a '57 truck grille.