Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Flathead V8 & Flathead 6 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum57/)
-   -   Flatty with no spark (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/594918-flatty-with-no-spark.html)

48' fordster 03-24-2007 08:57 PM

Flatty with no spark

I got a 49 flatty 6 with no sparks at the plug. what should i do? and what plugs should i buy?

Snowking 03-24-2007 10:15 PM

I would turn your key to the one position, take a current tester and see if you got electricty at the coil. That will narrow down what's wrong greatly

48' fordster 04-09-2007 05:14 PM

Ok so i still have no spark!! Just replaced the coil and i am getting electricity to it but i m not getting spark to the plugs? what now? could it be the condenser?

dffay 04-09-2007 06:32 PM

Break out the dwell meter and see if you have correct dwell angle and gap at the points. I would look also to see if it is consistent dwell due to distributor shaft wear. You might try hotwiring it (temporarily) also so you know you have voltage to the distributor.

Snowking 04-09-2007 07:02 PM

Also check the. contact and cleanliness between the rotor and the coil wire plug on the distrubutor cap.

kotzy 04-09-2007 09:52 PM

Spark is created when the points open, if you take a screwdriver and break the points from the closed position do you get spark? If not run the driver down against the plate while it is layng against the movable point, and move it away from the arm, did it spark then. If so the points are oxidized and not allowing a circuit to ground thru their contacts. They can be cleaned by running a point file thru them, dont't go crazy as they are only flash coated with tungsten or platinum. If all this fails I would guess you have a bad condenser, which can be checked with an ohm meter. No continuity between the lead and the can. Hope you can understand this and it helps.

Snowking 04-15-2007 01:03 PM

Any spark yet? any results?

48' fordster 04-16-2007 06:22 PM

Just put in the new condenser and rotor and still have no spark. What could be going on? could it be the ignition? still havent tryed to hotwire it.

mtflat 04-17-2007 09:49 AM

Just for the record, this is stock 6V positive ground, right?

If you have power at the coil (-) terminal, your ignition is probably fine. That's where the coil's power comes from.

You have to determine if you have power at the points. Check the ground wire on the opposite side of the coil (+) terminal, and follow it to the bottom of the distributor. Often times the wire frays inside the distributor and grounds out the moving plate. This causes a no-fire situation at the plugs. All the plugs.

Be sure to do what Kotzy said....but turn the ingition key to 'run' first.

sosotwo 04-17-2007 09:14 PM

I had that same problem with mine wire grounded out under the advance mechanisim
new peice of wire ran great

48' fordster 04-18-2007 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by mtflat
Just for the record, this is stock 6V positive ground, right?

If you have power at the coil (-) terminal, your ignition is probably fine. That's where the coil's power comes from.

You have to determine if you have power at the points. Check the ground wire on the opposite side of the coil (+) terminal, and follow it to the bottom of the distributor. Often times the wire frays inside the distributor and grounds out the moving plate. This causes a no-fire situation at the plugs. All the plugs.

Be sure to do what Kotzy said....but turn the ingition key to 'run' first.

Ya this is a Stock 6 volt + ground

I will try all that this weekend because all this week i have driver's ED! Really really boaring!! but i will keepo you all posted this weekend

thanks for all the help

Alec

mtflat 04-18-2007 10:41 AM

Enjoy driver's ed! I know the classroom stuff can be a drag, but hang in there. I took it 37 years ago and still tell stories from the practical driving experiences. There was Ron, who used to wrap his hand around the top of the wheel - couldn't make a turn very fast without unwinding himself. And Cindy who just could never find 2nd gear in the stick shift car. We'd sit and wait for her car to go first whenever we saw she was driving. 1st to Rev, over and over and the car would start moving only to lurch to a halt amid the sound of metal grinding against metal. (never buy a former d e car) And my instructor ......... ah, you get the idea.

48' fordster 04-22-2007 06:55 PM

ok out in the shop now working on the Flatty. right im going to clean the points more because i have checked and i have current going to every thing but the plugs

48' fordster 04-22-2007 07:28 PM

alright just tried to start her up again and still have no spark at the plugs, jsut replaced the points and then tried again still no spark. then we tested the voltage at the coil we have 6 volts from ther battery to the coil. and .39 volts from the coil to the distributor body, is this normal?

mtflat 04-22-2007 11:14 PM

You should have about 4.6V out of the coil. Something isn't right. Does the coil have an internal resistor? Or happen to have any other resistors wired into the ignition system?

If not, I'd check your grounds and connections between the coil and dist. Have you checked under the points - that is, under the plate(advance mechanism) for a bare wire?