Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Offroad & 4x4 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum63/)
-   -   hockey puck lift? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/594608-hockey-puck-lift.html)

BigOle'Ford 03-23-2007 11:46 PM

hockey puck lift?

I saw a truck running down the road yesterday that was sitting pretty tall for an average ranger and decided to take a quick look while i was sitting in the some parking lot anyways. Looked good, sounded good (owner ended up coming out) and then I realized what I thought were lifting blocks (body lift) had NHL embossed on the side of them. This seems like a cool idea, but is it safe? Im questioning it pretty good in my book, I know pucks are pretty daggum hard but I mean for a body lift? yall know anything about this?

Nick

75F350 03-24-2007 12:40 AM

Not a big fan of the body lift concept, but would imagine the hockey puck idea is a bit whacky. Given the thickness of the puck, only 1 inch, it might take a few to obtain the desired lift. The things are not cheap, at around $7-$10 each, it would cost more to do than an out of the box body lift.
Pucks are made from vulcanized rubber so they would be strong enough, but I am not sure if it would be worth it.

BigOle'Ford 03-24-2007 09:49 AM

Ive actually got a buddy who was real heavy into hockey and has got a ton of NIB pucks laying around the house. He use to be a coach but has since quit. Im only going for 3 inches here, if I stacked three together, gorilla glued them, and then drilled them for the body bolts it wouldnt be safe? This is kind of peaking my interest.

Nick

confederate_mudder 03-24-2007 12:03 PM

If your going to do a body lift atleast spend the 100 bucks and get one that is going to hold up and be safe. never try to go the cheap route when lifting thats what kills people.

MBBFord 03-24-2007 12:11 PM

I've heard of the hockey puck body lift before.
It works fine, but it's still a body lift.
Now if you start stacking them, then that's just retarded.

hatchet 03-24-2007 12:28 PM

if you want a body lift just go buy one there cheap like $100.00 and come with everything you need.i wouldnt use hockey pucks unless you want alot of problems.

captain p4 03-24-2007 12:33 PM

I'm kind of surprised you guys went this easy on him, don't try to go cheap on the already cheap route. If you HAVE to do a body lift at least do THAT right.

unrulee 03-24-2007 01:16 PM

If you want a body lift :-(, buy one. Don't use hockey pucks that's not what they are intended for. I've heard that it doesn't take long for them to break down and start to crumble, creating a dangerous situation, and more work. My 2 cents.

FordPickMeUp 03-24-2007 03:01 PM

An old buddy of mine used hockey pucks and guess what happend when he was out in the woods on a trail.the pucks broke loose and the truck slide right off the frame.hes lucky he didnt get hurt real bad.like said before dont use them buy a body lift they run about $100.if you dont have the cash for a body lift now wait and save up it will be worth it.~peace~

:-headbang <~~~cool thing :-missingt

BigOle'Ford 03-25-2007 09:33 PM

just saw something that peaked my curiosity thats all. I apprecaite the heads up though.

Nick

FE352 03-25-2007 10:46 PM

LOL!!! I love it! Been playing hockey for so many years, never even thought about that.. I wouldnt do it, but it would peak my interest lol. FordPickMeUp, how could the body slide off the frame... wherent there bolts to hold at least close to the frame? Hhhhmmm man if you ever wanted to make the untilmate Redneck Museum do it! lol Thats funny right there, i dont care who you are! Git-r-done!

unrulee 03-25-2007 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by FE352
how could the body slide off the frame... wherent there bolts to hold at least close to the frame

It would probably be a momentum thing. Body mounts/hockey pucks are so deteriorated that when the guy goes off road the sudden shift of weight on an off camber situation causes the body to suddenly shift to one side causing the bolts to shear off.

FE352 03-25-2007 11:53 PM

i thought about that.. but i like to be smart arse ;) lol i still think if there was a redneck museum, like the one in Black Hawk, CA, but for rednecks lol

84blackmagic 03-29-2007 12:11 AM

lol wow you guys are harsh on the cheap guys.. lol im a redneck.. where i live not everyone can afford nice suspension lifts.. and so on and so fourth... ive done the hockey puck lift on one of my vehicles before.. i didnt have any problems and i beat the crap outta it... but i prefer suspension over body lift... if its a truck your just gonna beat and not see the high way.... hockey pucks are the way to go if you have a bunch laying around... if its a road truck... spend the $100 and buy one

wiingnut 04-29-2007 10:18 AM

75f350 Where are you buying your hocky pucks at? I get them for $.75 to $1.00 a piece! I must admit if I was gonna do a body lift it sure wouldn't be with pucks. I have about 2 hundred pucks laying around the house, I'll sell them for $4.00 a piece. Any takers? But in 75f350's defense souvenir pucks are every bit of $ 7 - 10 a piece.