Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum168/)
-   -   Storage tanks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/593098-storage-tanks.html)

Phydeaux88 03-20-2007 10:21 AM

Storage tanks

Can BD be stored in plastic Tanks?
Can #2 be stored in plastic tanks?
I think that is what I see getting buried at gas stations these days.

If the answer to the above questions is yes, can the translucent chemical storage tanks be used? or should I get the black ones that are identified as "water" storage?

NOTE these are for storage only not for processing.

fabmandelux 03-20-2007 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Phydeaux88
Can BD be stored in plastic Tanks?
Can #2 be stored in plastic tanks?
I think that is what I see getting buried at gas stations these days.

If the answer to the above questions is yes, can the translucent chemical storage tanks be used? or should I get the black ones that are identified as "water" storage?

NOTE these are for storage only not for processing.

I've been using chem storage tanks for years for settling and storage tanks.
As long as there HDPE plastic your ok, altho I've gone to steel for safety now.

kennedyford 03-20-2007 09:14 PM

Ive got the same plastic chem totes that Don has. Mine actually had bio in it as well as caustic in the other ones. Its all good.

Tom D 03-21-2007 10:05 AM

storage tanks

Originally Posted by fabmandelux
I've been using chem storage tanks for years for settling and storage tanks.
As long as there HDPE plastic your ok, altho I've gone to steel for safety now.

If you don't use plastic separation tanks and have switched to metal, how do you monitor the separation process and know when the bio and glycerine have finished separating?

fabmandelux 03-21-2007 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Tom D
If you don't use plastic separation tanks and have switched to metal, how do you monitor the separation process and know when the bio and glycerine have finished separating?

I usually make 250 gallons at a time, and put it in my main settling tank. The biodiesel suction line goes in from the top to a point above where the glycerol has settled. I pump from that line untill it runs out, then drain the glycerol from the bottom.

I used a sight tube the first time so I would know how short to cut the suction tube, then removed it for safety reasons.

Murphy2000 03-21-2007 10:09 PM

Its ok to store biodiesel in plastic containers when the situation is favorable and temporary.
If you are going to set up a permanent storage tank, it most definetly should be steel for safety reasons. (as fabman has suggested)

Biodiesel as well as any other fuel, should never be stored in plastic 55 gallon drums as a permanent solution. While we home-brewers and small producers push some of these limits for cost savings, its important to know it is NOT proper to store biodiesel in plastic drums. (for long term any how)

As a side note, you should also label all your storage containers with the proper hazards label.

Tom D 03-22-2007 10:43 AM

storage tanks

I usually make 250 gallons at a time, and put it in my main settling tank. The biodiesel suction line goes in from the top to a point above where the glycerol has settled. I pump from that line untill it runs out, then drain the glycerol from the bottom.

I used a sight tube the first time so I would know how short to cut the suction tube, then removed it for safety reasons.

Thanks Don. How do you know when it's time to draw off the biodiesel? Do you just wait 12 hours or do you have a way of visually checking?

fabmandelux 03-22-2007 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tom D
Thanks Don. How do you know when it's time to draw off the biodiesel? Do you just wait 12 hours or do you have a way of visually checking?

Mornin Tom. I just let it set overnight. I have multiple tanks, so the next day I can start another batch while draining the bio, and glycerol.

I got concerned last year with the possibility of fire, so when we started building the new ranch processor we did not use any plastic at all. I do use plastic totes for temporary storage, and to power the remote irrigation pumps.

I would not use plastic for any processor, but it just tickles me no end to listen to the strident cry of the "appleseed" fanatics bemoaning anyone who would use plastic for a processor, but if you look at 90% of the appleseeds out there................They use plastic hoses and sight-tubes!!!

Murphy2000 03-22-2007 02:48 PM

I would not use plastic for any processor, but it just tickles me no end to listen to the strident cry of the "appleseed" fanatics bemoaning anyone who would use plastic for a processor, but if you look at 90% of the appleseeds out there................They use plastic hoses and sight-tubes!!!

Plastic processors are dangerous and should be made illegal to sell.

But your comments about the appleseed are unfounded.

While the appleseed is far from perfect, it is one of the safest processor designs available for the equivelent cost factor.

As for the plastic hoses and sight tubes.. you made it sound as if there are multiple problems to be concerned about when in fact its only 1 sight tube and that can be valve isolated after the system is running.

The biggest problem with appleseeds is that they don't drain completely because of the dished bottom and location of drain port.
The other problem is that to build anything larger than a standard sized 40 or 50 gallon water heater starts to become very expensive very fast.

The appleseed is cheap to build because 40 and 50 gallon water heaters are cheap. Go try to buy a 75 or 100 gallon water heater and watch what happens to the price.

Conclusion: The appleseed has its place. It is meant for someone wanting to make 30 gallons a week for personal use at a cheap price.. It has flaws but safety isnt one of them.