Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   3.8 & 4.2L V6 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum50/)
-   -   Dreaded Timing Cover Leak (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/590949-dreaded-timing-cover-leak.html)

GaJim 03-14-2007 06:38 PM

Dreaded Timing Cover Leak

Hi folks, this is my first post here and I’m looking for some help on my ’97 F150. 4.2 concerning the dreaded timing chain cover leak issue. Just so you know, I bought this truck new, it has about 148,000 miles on it and the only problems I’ve had to date is to change a coil pack and rod the radiator. I do all of the maintenance on my five Fords myself, on time, every time. The timing chain cover has leaked onto the ground for about 4 years now, but it has never been a problem, other than the obvious, adding coolant every once in a while. My daughter has had this truck at college for the past two years and it is only driven about 6000 miles per year for the last 3-4 years.

Last week, the truck wouldn’t start. She tried jump starting it, didn’t want to even turn over. I went up to the school to check on it over the weekend. It turned over and started for me. But, there was a lot of white smoke and a REALLY loud knocking sound coming from the engine. I shut it down right away. After poking around, the sound seems to coming from the front of the engine, down low (possibly the timing chain/timing chain tensioner?). I towed the truck home over the weekend.

Here’s the thing, I’ve been reading several of the threads here today and am worried that the engine may now be shot. From the threads I’m reading, others seem to report that this engine seems to leak coolant like a sieve in several places. The timing chain cover, the intake manifold, the head gaskets, etc. The only place I have noticed a coolant leak is around the timing chain cover. There is no coolant in the oil pan that I can find (I pulled the dip stick yesterday and have been very vigilant watching for water in the oil every time I change the oil). There is some smoke coming out of the tail pipe, even after the engine warms up, but none of the smoke ever smells like coolant. It always smells like gas, as in a “too rich” mix in the injectors.

So where do I go from here?

1) The timing chain cover has to be removed and resealed. A lot of work, but it must be done.

2) The increadibly loud “knocking” sound could be caused by the timing chain tensionor, from what I’ve read here today. That would have to be repaired. This noise is what worries me the most. This could also be from a main baring going out, right?

3) Test the compression on each cylinder to see if there is an intake manifold leak or a head gasket leak.

4) Look for water in the cylinders.

5) Drain the oil just to make sure there is no water in the bottom of the oil pan.

These aren’t necessarily listed in order, but am I on the right track here?

This is a great truck, even after 10 years. Paint is great, interior is great. It’s got a lot of life left in it. Even if I have to drop a long block in it to the tune of about $1500, I’ll do that. I’m just trying to eliminate all the other stuff first, before I put out that kind of money.

This is my first day here on this site, and I’ve only looked at a couple for dozen threads so far, but I’m very impressed. The Admins, Moderators and Members make this an enjoyable place. I’m a Moderator on a site called Airstreamforums.com. It uses the same software as here and the folks seem to share similar values. Nice place. (The staff can edit any of that out that they deem appropriate, not a problem).

Thanks for the help folks.

Jim

BlueOvalFitter 03-15-2007 04:20 AM

Your lower intake gaskets have failed and has let coolant into a cylinder or cylinders,which has resulted in hydro-lock.You most likely have bent a rod.Be ready to install a new engine.Here is some good reading;
http://forums.treemedia.com/fb/showthread.php?t=224

GaJim 03-15-2007 07:11 AM

Well, that's not good news. Thanks for help and the link. I'll spend some time over there during lunch.

Jim

GaJim 03-15-2007 12:31 PM

Well, I had a long post typed out and lost connection to the server. Lemme try again.

That was quite a thread. I guess I should feel lucky that I got 150,000 miles out of mine before it died. SOme of those folks only got 60,000 before theirs died.

Anybody want to offer any advice on buying a new/remaned engine? What to look for, who to buy (or NOT) buy from? I have a buddy that works at LKQ, his price is $1700 for a reman. Is it possible to buy a short block these days?</O:p>

Thanks in advance for the help.

<O:p</O:p
Jim

BlueOvalFitter 03-15-2007 06:33 PM

Ford offers a real good short block and a good long block.Check this site too;
www.rhinoengines.com