Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   Super Cab Camper Special vs Super Camper Special (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/589156-super-cab-camper-special-vs-super-camper-special.html)

czaroc 03-09-2007 10:16 PM

Super Cab Camper Special vs Super Camper Special

ok, maybe this is a dumb question but...

Is a super camper special the same thing as a camper special with the super cab?

I put a deposit down today on a '76 F-250 super cab camper special 2wd. It's in fantastic shape, inside and out, for under $1000. I pick it up tomorrow.

BUT

It doesn't have the fancy spare tire mount in the fender, it's mounted up under the bed. It has 2 gas tanks instead of 3. They are both side-saddle type.

The tags all say camper special and the VIN checks out.

Hoping to get a little insight into exactly what I'm buying.

Thanks!

Jermafenser 03-09-2007 11:33 PM

No. Since it was a F-250, you bought a regular camper special. Only F-350s were Super Camper Special with the spare tire in the bed fender. The Super Camper Special was just a tougher version of the Camper Special. They had the same options.

Nighteyez 03-09-2007 11:43 PM

Didn't the Super Camper Specials also have a different wheelbase so the tire would fit between the cab and rear wheel opening?

Mil1ion 03-10-2007 12:37 AM

Yes... see the currently active SCS thread for a picture of it.

see post #5 on this thread.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...ed-camper.html

73f350sc 03-10-2007 12:38 AM

Well,
They didnt have the same options exactly but they were close. Yes, they had a longer wheel base and the fancy side compartment for the wheel but they also had a wiring harness built in for a slide in camper on the driverside frame rail. They also had a different suspension setup (carrying capacity) as well as a stouter rear end.

You are buying exactly what you said you are buying a Super Cab Camper Special... a Super Camper Special as mentinoned above would be an F-350 and would have the Super Camper Special badging.

A Camper Special may or may not have a side tool compartment however where the wheel compartment would be. Super cabs really nice though especially the Camper Specials...the rear seat folds down flat to make an almost twin size bed which is super cool.
-Chris

Nighteyez 03-10-2007 12:51 AM

BTW, Welcome to the site! Hope you find your stay here enjoyable, and I know you will find it informative :o

Dsep 03-10-2007 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by 73f350sc
Well,
They didnt have the same options exactly but they were close. Yes, they had a longer wheel base and the fancy side compartment for the wheel but they also had a wiring harness built in for a slide in camper on the driverside frame rail. They also had a different suspension setup (carrying capacity) as well as a stouter rear end.

You are buying exactly what you said you are buying a Super Cab Camper Special... a Super Camper Special as mentinoned above would be an F-350 and would have the Super Camper Special badging.

A Camper Special may or may not have a side tool compartment however where the wheel compartment would be. Super cabs really nice though especially the Camper Specials...the rear seat folds down flat to make an almost twin size bed which is super cool.
-Chris

Does your 73 say Super on the paperwork or on the badging anywhere?
Ithought maybe Super was used only on the ex cab versions or did they take the Super off the badging or paperwork after a certion year? Or was it an F250 to an F350 thing? I do know you dont see very many of any year
anywhere.

Accually, I dont remember seeing SUPER on any of the camper specials.

I just listed a true 79 F350 Camper Special REG CAB in the classifieds and it dont say super anywhere on the paperwork or badging, Hmmmm? Were the lights on top the cab an option also, or was they an F250/F350 thingy?
Maybe it was a certion model/yr that got the Super is kind of what I am thinking? Mine is a Lariat.

Lots of mysterys about these Camper Specials thats for sure.

However, mine does have the camper special badginig on front fenders.
Maybe it was a year and/or model thing and/or F250/F350 thing is where the super came in play?
Educate me please!
Thanks, Dan

czaroc 03-10-2007 10:41 AM

Well thanks everybody for the info. I'm giddy as a school girl this morning; I've been looking for a supercab for a while. The camper special part is just a bonus. :) I was crossing my fingers that I've found a famed super camper but I guess not. no biggie.

There is a toolbox on the passenger side too. I love that. My 76 singlecab f150 doesn't and it's impossible to stow anything because of the gas tank behind the seat.

Another tidbit. I thought the supercabs had a bench seat in the back. This one has those silly sideways seats that fold up against the sides. I never really saw those until the 80's trucks before. Wish it had the bench.

Dsep 03-10-2007 10:58 AM

So, does it say super anywhere? or is it a ex cab? Does it say (camper) special on the buildsheet that could be tucked behind the rear of the front driver side upper seat panel? Or is it badged on the front fenders as a camper special?

I guess what I am thinking is that everyone calls these super camper specials... when they should be called supercab camper specials is where the mystery could be that confuses some folk? Lots of different options for different yrs/models I guess?

I would also think all camper specials would have the side spare tire storage area... so to have the extra fuel tank... maybe I am wrong? I would like to see some pics via email if poss...

I have a few more ?s if you got any time.

Thanks, Dan

Vinford 03-10-2007 12:14 PM

Only Super Camper Specials have the spare tire in the box.
With the door opening on the outside of the box.

NumberDummy 03-10-2007 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dsep
So, does it say super anywhere? or is it a ex cab? Does it say (camper) special on the buildsheet that could be tucked behind the rear of the front driver side upper seat panel? Or is it badged on the front fenders as a camper special?

D4TZ-16720-D Nameplate, Super Camper Special-Front Fender

Mil1ion 03-10-2007 01:12 PM

I may as well put this on this thread too.

http://www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion...perspecial.JPG

http://www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion...erspecial1.JPG

http://www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion...erspecial2.JPG

cjstang32 03-10-2007 03:02 PM

All 73-79 F-350 2wd regular cab pickups had a 140" WB (instead of 133) and the spare in the right bedside regardless of whether they were a camper special or not. There's a 79 F-350 Trailer Special on Ebay with the spare in the bed side right now if you'd like to take a look.

Sometime in the late 70's Ford dropped the Super from the F-350 Super Camper Specials. I've got two 79s, one 8900 GVWR and one 9900 GVWR and both just say Camper Special.

NumberDummy 03-10-2007 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by cjstang32
All 73-79 F-350 2wd regular cab pickups had a 140" WB (instead of 133) and the spare in the right bedside regardless of whether they were a camper special or not.

\

Sorry, you are incorrect.

Wheelbases 1973/79

117 / 133 / 137 / 140 / 155 / 161 / 164.5

Only the Super Campers had a 140 inch wheelbase.

Source:1973 Ford Light Truck Parts Catalog; General Information Section; Drive Shaft Application Section; Frame & Exhaust Systems Section; Fuel System Section; Sheet Metal Section; Exterior Moulding Section.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Spares were only installed into the right bed sides of Super Campers, because the bed sides are longer than standard to accomodate the side mounted spare.

Camper Specials do not have right side mounted spares. The spares are under the truck at the rear, except on Crew Cabs.

Super Camper Specials are not the same as a Camper Special, never were, never will be.

cjstang32 03-10-2007 03:56 PM

Sorry, you are incorrect.

My wheelbase reference was to regular cab F-350 pickups w/ 8' beds only. I apologize for not making that clear. I assumed it would be obvious since we were talking about camper and super camper specials. As for my comment about all f-350 regular cab 2wd pickups having the spare in the bedside, not just camper specials, please see the link below. You'll notice this truck is not a camper special or super camper special:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1979-...QQcmdZViewItem

As for camper specials and super camper specials never being the same, my 79 F-350 camper special (no Super anywhere to be found) has a 140" wheelbase, spare tire in the bedside, 9900 lb GVWR, and 12.00 x 16.5 rear tires. So tell me, what's the difference between my truck and the earlier models designated Super Camper Special?