Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bronco II (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum34/)
-   -   Stock tube bumper.. anybody? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/588876-stock-tube-bumper-anybody.html)

RomerB2 03-09-2007 01:33 AM

Stock tube bumper.. anybody?

I have a 90 BII that had the offroad package of some sort that they offered back then, and I was out 4-wheeling a little over a year ago and tore off a part of my dual tube rear bumper (aluminum). Does anybody know where I could get another one like it? When I get time, I'll find some pics of it to throw up here. So far, my B2 is the only one that I've ever seen with this rear bumper (it has the Ford logo on it, I know it's stock).. anybody know anything on these? Thanks.

kernel-panic 03-09-2007 08:42 AM

Er, uh, that is an aftermarket bumper with a Ford logo on it. Ford never offered tube (especially aluminum) bumpers stock, that I ever remember seeing, anyhow. I know that James Duff offers different tube bumpers, as does some other vendors, maybe JC Whitney or Broncograveyard or LMC Truck, not 100% sure. I know finding the tube bumpers or push bar add-ons is a pain in the butt... which is why I'm probably going to end up fabricating my own plate bumpers.

RomerB2 03-09-2007 09:32 AM

I know it is stock, it was sold like that on the truck, and was included on the package for the truck. I've researched it a little bit, and it turns out to be pretty rare, as the package was only available on 90 BII's and for half of the production year. I've been looking at going ahead with the aftermarket Duff bumper and painting it silver.. maybe black.

kernel-panic 03-09-2007 09:55 AM

IMO, if that was truly the case, then most OEM part vendors would sell them, I would think... however, the possibility that it is a dealer-installed option might be more accurate. Documentation?

Parts Guy Wyatt 03-09-2007 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by kernel-panic
Er, uh, that is an aftermarket bumper with a Ford logo on it. Ford never offered tube (especially aluminum) bumpers stock, that I ever remember seeing, anyhow. I know that James Duff offers different tube bumpers, as does some other vendors, maybe JC Whitney or Broncograveyard or LMC Truck, not 100% sure. I know finding the tube bumpers or push bar add-ons is a pain in the butt... which is why I'm probably going to end up fabricating my own plate bumpers.

FOTZ17906C REAR BUMPER TUBULAR ALUMINUM (KIT)

Obsolete, but there was one from Ford at one time.

Ed

rebocardo 03-09-2007 02:09 PM

> So far, my B2 is the only one that I've ever seen with this rear bumper

Your tube bumper was an OPTION. I know, I happen to see it when I was double checking the Dana 28/Dana 35 stuff in another topic because Ford did not list the Dana 35 for the 1990.

To quote from the 1990 Ford Sales Data:

Sport Trim Package - includes

* Bodyside spats
* Black Front bumper
* Black tubular rear bumper
* Rear stone deflector

It also included a Brush/grill guard.

Ordering code was #563 for all black, you could also order it in a Chrome.

frankenbroncoII 03-09-2007 08:23 PM

ford did make stock tube bumbers front and rear with grill guard and a "roll bar" with off road driving lights. i have only seen 3 trucks in my area with this factory set up. i doubt it possible to find a good oem replacement unless you find one in the bone yard by chance. have you though about taking the bumper to a shop that works aluminum and just have that one fixed?

RomerB2 03-10-2007 10:49 AM

Yea, I also have the black front bumper and the brush/grill guard in aluminum. I would like to have it taken to a shop and have them fix it but for some reason I have a feeling it wouldn't look the same. Part of it tore off that tore something else off, and basically the whole thing's ruined. I think I'm just going to go get a Duff rear bumper. Thanks for the help, maybe I can find one somewhere for a lot cheaper than the Duff bumper.

RICHARDMURPHY1 01-20-2011 06:30 PM

TUBULAR FORD BUMPER

I THINK I MAY HAVE THE STOCK FORD TUBE BUMPER YOU SPEAK OF LAYING AROUND. IF INTERESTED CALL OR TEXT MY CELL AND I'LL SEND YOU A PIC OF IT, THANX, 405-201-4657

mdr617 01-21-2011 03:40 AM

They actually offered this option farther back than 1990, i have a 1988 Ford Bronco II 4x4, with the XLT off-road package, with the brush guard, fog lights, rear double tube bumper, front and rear molded stone guards, and 4.10 or 4.11 gears...i forget witch ones, and limited slip front and rear. From the research i have done, this option started in about 1986, and yes it is a rare option to find on a bronco II. Im not sure if the 4.10 gearing and limited slip was part of the package, but mine came with it. If you search these threads, a couple months ago i was also looking for a rear bumper like yours. And it is more of a "nerf" style bumper than tube, only because nearf bars are the same diamiter and tube bumpers are made of just that...small diamiter tubes. There was a guy selling one on e-bay that i bought, it was NOS, never opened, in a warehouse for 15 years the guy said, still in the ford box, wrapped in ford plastic. There was also a guy on craigslist selling one, but it was used and missing the plastic caps on the end, and had a small dent on it. It might still be on there, i havent checked. Well, i am glad to see that someone elso has the stock off-road package on a bronco II...around where i live, i havent seen any. Good luck with it.

fordtrucksj 03-25-2011 01:57 AM

I picked my front and rear bumpers with James Duff. Durable and practical and do wonders for approach and departure angles. Here is a link of what mine look like...I painted them flat black. BroncoII.org Stables - Page 18

mdr617 03-25-2011 03:08 AM

not too bad, looks good

mdr617 05-30-2013 08:31 PM

Hey guys, Its been a while but the 88 Bronco II project is back. Anyways, my 1988 Bronco II came stock with the off-road package and the above mentioned rear dual tube bumper in black. I had located a NOS black rear tube bumper, still in the original ford box. I will be selling this bumper on e-bay if interested. It will fit rangers and bronco II.

mdr617 05-30-2013 08:37 PM

Oh...the part number for this is F37J-17A958-A, and it is a Ford part number. The instruction sheet states that it is for a 1993 ford ranger, and has all mounting hardware, bolts, brackets and end caps still in the bags. I took this bumper out and test fit on my 88 Bronco II. It looks like it is the same size but the ends are slant cut rather than flush. Also, a slightly longer mounting bracket will need to be used to work. I was going to cut off my original bumper brackets and weld them to this bumper.