Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Paint & Bodywork (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum67/)
-   -   What is the best wax/polish? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/583713-what-is-the-best-wax-polish.html)

New To Ford 02-23-2007 09:36 PM

What is the best wax/polish?

Gentlemen-
What is the best wax or polish to use on newer trucks ('05 screw)? All opinions are appreciated. Thanks

NumberDummy 02-24-2007 06:10 AM

Meguiars Gold Class Carnuba Wax, or Meguiars NXT polymer. A clay bar kit is recommended. Be aware that most waxes/polymer finishes won't last through two trips to the car wash. Likewise not only will dish soap strip off the wax, but will harm the finish.

Keep any silicone based waxes, silicone spray or paper towels far away from painted surfaces. Silicone will strip off the clear coat, and paper towels are made from recycled paper, and will scratch the painted surfaces and glass.

68murc 02-24-2007 07:40 AM

I agree with the Meguiars Gold Class, I've been using it for years, and always liked it. It's a liquid without any 'grit' in it, so it won't etch your paint. My dad sent a car out to get painted, and he had waxed it with my Meguiars. The body shop had to sand the car to bare metal, because the wax had penetrated into the original paint and was causing 'fisheyes' in the new paint.

New To Ford 02-25-2007 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by NumberDummy
Meguiars Gold Class Carnuba Wax, or Meguiars NXT polymer. A clay bar kit is recommended. Be aware that most waxes/polymer finishes won't last through two trips to the car wash. Likewise not only will dish soap strip off the wax, but will harm the finish.

Keep any silicone based waxes, silicone spray or paper towels far away from painted surfaces. Silicone will strip off the clear coat, and paper towels are made from recycled paper, and will scratch the painted surfaces and glass.

What do you think of the Dupont product ( http://www.carcare.dupont.com/produc...e=app&prod=Wax ).....it contains silicone resins, will that hurt the clearcoat? It says that it is clearcoat safe. What exactly does the silicone do?

Indy_Gearhead71 02-26-2007 04:43 PM

Silicone doesn't necessarily damage the clear coat in any way, in fact when you add a fisheye eliminator to clearcoat before spraying it, you're actually adding a small amount of silicon to offset the effects of contamination. I've always stuck with a good carnuba wax or something with a heavy teflon count in it. The wax I've been using for about the last 20 years is a product by Ardex called Flint wax. It's a paste wax that spreads well and when worked in with an orbital buffer shines and shines and shines, plus it has very good UV protection and resistance to typical road grime and the like. It's extremely durable and a good coat will last a while. Definitely stay away from all dish detergents as mentioned above because they will strip any and all wax off the car, and personally I won't ever take a car I own through a car wash, just because I don't care what anyone says, it will leave scratches in the finish.

edgescreambeauty 02-27-2007 12:55 AM

Go with anything Meguiars. They make good products.

brucewolff 02-27-2007 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by edgescreambeauty
Go with anything Meguiars. They make good products.

What he said, 100%.

Americanmadeford 02-27-2007 01:01 PM

Best wax would be Einszett Glanz. It's a synthetic, "profesional" wax that beats consumer waxes... Hands down....

However, unless this is a show truck, or you dont want to wax it but once a year, an "over the counter" wax will do. I recomend Zymol. NXT Generation is all marketing IMO.

Drew2010 03-16-2007 09:12 PM

I use Wizzards. No one i know has heard of it but its amazing. They have a spray wax and its great too.

www.wizardsproducts.com

big J.V. 04-01-2007 12:42 AM

Whatever products you use make sure the do not contain petroleum distillates, using one of those products you might as well pollish you paint with motor oil. Stick with any thing that is carnuba based.

NumberDummy 04-01-2007 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Indy_Gearhead71
Silicone doesn't necessarily damage the clear coat in any way, in fact when you add a fisheye eliminator to clearcoat before spraying it, you're actually adding a small amount of silicon to offset the effects of contamination. I've always stuck with a good carnuba wax or something with a heavy teflon count in it. The wax I've been using for about the last 20 years is a product by Ardex called Flint wax. It's a paste wax that spreads well and when worked in with an orbital buffer shines and shines and shines, plus it has very good UV protection and resistance to typical road grime and the like. It's extremely durable and a good coat will last a while. Definitely stay away from all dish detergents as mentioned above because they will strip any and all wax off the car, and personally I won't ever take a car I own through a car wash, just because I don't care what anyone says, it will leave scratches in the finish.

Do you remember when all the car manufacturers first went to water based paints and clearcoat? This was back in the early-mid 80's. And guess what happened.

Within a few years, the paint began to fade badly, and Ford, GM and Chrysler were finally....after much hoopla, forced to repaint thousands of vehicles...What was the cause..was it the paint?

Nope, it was the wax people were using.

In late 1987, Ford came out with a letter to its dealers. Part of what I remember stated: "We have determined that B4A-19534-A Custom Auto Wax should not be sold to owners of vehicles with clearcoat water based paints. The silicone contained in this product is not suitable for use with this type of paint, and will harm the finish.' 'We will soon have a newly reformulated wax and will inform you when it becomes available."

It wasn't till 1991 that Ford finally got around to offering the non silicone wax, part number F1AZ-19534-A. So if Ford Motor Company said silicone was harmful to the finish, that's good enough for me.

Regardless of whatever wax you use, two trips to the car wash, or a couple of drops of dish detergent will strip off all the wax your vehicle has. Everything I own is garaged, gets dusted several times a week with a CA Duster, and rarely sees water. After all, rust never sleeps.

Swift193 04-01-2007 03:01 AM

What is the best wax/polish?

Amen ND. Mine hasn't been wet except to get washed. Had to have the garage door rebuilt to go up higher so I could get the truck in. 2007 F250 Supercab SB psd Lariat 4x4. But I now have the grin!

Regardless of whatever wax you use, two trips to the car wash, or a couple of drops of dish detergent will strip off all the wax your vehicle has. Everything I own is garaged, gets dusted several times a week with a CA Duster, and rarely sees water. After all, rust never sleeps.[/QUOTE]

Indy_Gearhead71 04-01-2007 08:48 AM

Yep, I remember when that happened. I also remember the problems they had with peeling which were originally claimed to be related to the same issue. After research by the paint manufacturers though it was found that there was a delay in the application of the basecoat to the etching primer which was causing the delamination. Granted, I won't use anything silicon based, not even tire or interior dressings because I paint for a living and hate the crap. You're also talking about a huge difference in the quality and makeup of modern paints vs those of almost 20 years ago.

Indy_Gearhead71 04-01-2007 08:50 AM

One of the biggest tips of advice I can give to anyone is that you do wax your car on a regular basis and keep it clean. It's one of the most important things an owner can do to preserve the life of the body of the car because let's face it, most cars aren't built worth a crap anymore and rust wayyyyy too fast.

NumberDummy 04-01-2007 09:10 AM

Off topic, but related. Never ever use silicone based dustings sprays on antique furniture. Not gonna mention any names of any lemon fresh scented products like...Uh, you know...but read the ingredients on the label first. Silicone can penetrate the old French Polished (shellac) finishes and cause it to craze. It's no good on varnish either.

Back on topic..never use any silicone sprays on door weatherstrips where overspray could get on exterior paint.