Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   3.8 & 4.2L V6 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum50/)
-   -   Another V-6 collant leak (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/580005-another-v-6-collant-leak.html)

magoo50 02-14-2007 02:41 PM

Another V-6 collant leak

I rescued my son from the interstate this morning when his 2001 F-150 overheated. I was able to trace the leak to a small (approx 5/8 in) metal tube that is in the forward part of the intake manifold. It appears to be a heater hose supply/return but I could be wrong. The tube is leaking on the back side where it exits the maniflod and sprays several small streams when under pressure. I called Ford and apparantly this "tube" is force fit into the manifold rather than screwed in. I was told in order to fix this leak I would have to replace the entire manifold to the tune of $710.00.
That is a load of C--p. I suspect if I had the manifold in my lap I could figure out a way to thread a new pipe in like Ford should have but---It isn't in my lap. My question is, has anyone run into this before? Has anyone tried using JB Weld or something like it to repair this problem? By the time I get answers I may be able to report on that myself. HAs anyone else modified the maniflod to accept a screw in replacement? I thought I would find a rusted up coolant system but it is really very clean. This has been the only coolant leak so far. Any comments?

BrianA 02-14-2007 06:46 PM

Find the supply to the intake and the return from the intake. Trace the two lines back to the origin and replace with a new line effectively short circuiting the loop (i.e. bypass the intake manifold).
You might be able to butt the two ends together with a very smaller piece of copper tube.

My 2000 was done this way and ran thousands of miles with no ill effect seen.

magoo50 02-14-2007 08:17 PM

Thanks Brian, Am I to assume this is a water jacketed intake manilfold? If not what would I be by passing exactly?

BrianA 02-14-2007 08:34 PM

Correct.
For reasons I do not know, coolant is circulated through the intake.
I have heard to warm the intake air.
I have heard to cool the intake air.
I have heard to cool the intake manifold.
I do not really know.

I just know mine was bypassed by the mechanic when I had my lower intake gaskets replaced and I could never tell any difference in any aspect of engine performance or MPG.

magoo50 02-15-2007 06:10 AM

That is interesting. I believe you about by passing the manifold and that will be the first thing I do. You have my curiosity though and I am wondering why in the world they went to all the expense to cool/heat the intake. Does anyone know the engineering behind it?

magoo50 02-16-2007 08:14 AM

JUst a follow up to anyone interested. I pulled the intake to clean the leak and found it to be too bad to repair with JB Weld. So I did what Ford should have done in the first place and threaded the manifold to accept a fine thread copper tube I made up. Worked like a charm. This is not real easy to do when laying on the engine but sure beats pulling the maniflod.

99F150 02-23-2007 08:54 AM

Not to sound stupid but, is the manifold al? My 99 was and if so won't this cause a corrosion from dissimilar metals? and make the problem worse.

magoo50 02-23-2007 10:55 AM

Probably will so I will be replacing it with an aluminum tube. I was using what was at hand. The repair did come out ok though.

99F150 02-23-2007 11:37 AM

Good, I was thinking of my water heater at home. The sears installer did not use dielectric fittings between the Hard copper and water heater and it caused the tank to leak.