Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Chips & Tuners (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum46/)
-   -   Can dealer detect chips? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/579432-can-dealer-detect-chips.html)

sawboy 02-12-2007 09:38 PM

Can dealer detect chips?

I have a question for everyone. I have a 2007 F350 Dually with the 6.0. I would like to do some upgrades. In reading thru the posts it seems the order is as follows:

1. Bigger intake box / filter
2. Gauges
3. Exhaust
4. Chip / Programmer

I like what I have read about SCT. My question is can it be "un-chipped". In other words, if a problem develops with the truck, can the dealer detect the presence of a programmer? Or is there a way to hide / remove it? I don't want to install go gast stuff and be on the hook for $$$ repair bills.

I have a 65 Pontiac that is plenty fast and expensive enough already!

Stalwart 02-14-2007 04:10 PM

If you purchase a programmer, they often store the stock info so you can put it back to stock BEFORE you take it to the dealer for service.

ReAX 02-14-2007 07:04 PM

However, if the dealership reads the logs/DTC close enough, they may see out of spec data. I have only heard one internet rumor about them doing so, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Yes, you can return to stock and you should return it to stock whenever you carry it to a dealership. Dealerships could update your PCM and if the tuner doesn't recognise you new calibration it will not allow you to program it.

Johnny Langton 02-16-2007 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by sawboy
I have a question for everyone. I have a 2007 F350 Dually with the 6.0. I would like to do some upgrades. In reading thru the posts it seems the order is as follows:

1. Bigger intake box / filter
2. Gauges
3. Exhaust
4. Chip / Programmer

I like what I have read about SCT. My question is can it be "un-chipped". In other words, if a problem develops with the truck, can the dealer detect the presence of a programmer? Or is there a way to hide / remove it? I don't want to install go gast stuff and be on the hook for $$$ repair bills.

I have a 65 Pontiac that is plenty fast and expensive enough already!

So-you're wanting to alter the OEM calibration on the truck,and if/when you break it-you expect the manufacturer to repair it even after you've altered it from the way they built and warranty it?
That's fraudulent,and is exactly why so many honest people are having trouble getting their legitimate warranty claims done without hassles.
If you want to modify it-pay for it when it breaks. If you don't want to pay for repairs-then don't modify it until the warranty is expired. Starting in '08 on the Focus and all of the 6.4L Diesel trucks already have parameters in place to count the number of times the PCM has been reflashed/changed,and there's no known way at the current time to get around it. It's coming on all new vehicles-the manufacturers are fed up with paying for repairs caused by people that break their vehicles after modding,and then bring them back into the dealership like they've done nothing wrong.
JL

sawboy 02-16-2007 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny Langton
So-you're wanting to alter the OEM calibration on the truck,and if/when you break it-you expect the manufacturer to repair it even after you've altered it from the way they built and warranty it?
That's fraudulent,and is exactly why so many honest people are having trouble getting their legitimate warranty claims done without hassles.
If you want to modify it-pay for it when it breaks. If you don't want to pay for repairs-then don't modify it until the warranty is expired. The new '08 model Focus and Diesel trucks already have parameters in place to count the number of times the PCM has been reflashed/changed,and there's no known way at the current time to get around it. It's coming on all new vehicles-the manufacturers are fed up with paying for repairs caused by people that break their vehicles after modding,and then bring them back into the dealership like they've done nothing wrong.
JL

Wow! Put the coffee down and slowly back away............

Johnny Langton 02-16-2007 01:55 PM

Wow! Put the coffee down and slowly back away............

I don't drink coffee...I also don't expect Ford to pay for repairs when I've modded my vehicles.
JL

sawboy 02-16-2007 02:00 PM

Johnny, thanks for not answering the question I asked. Your opinion is just that. Unless you can answer the question I have asked, I respectfully ask that you refrain from responding to this post. You obviously have no interest in answering the question, but rather you wish to push your opinion on me. I neither asked for your opinion, nor do I want it. You see, opinions are like butt-cracks. Everyone has one, and they all stink.

Have a great day, and GOD bless.

rsylvstr 02-16-2007 02:07 PM

:-duel1 step away from the computer!

rsylvstr 02-16-2007 02:08 PM

:-duel1 step away from the computer!

Johnny Langton 02-16-2007 04:46 PM

Johnny, thanks for not answering the question I asked. Your opinion is just that. Unless you can answer the question I have asked, I respectfully ask that you refrain from responding to this post. You obviously have no interest in answering the question, but rather you wish to push your opinion on me. I neither asked for your opinion, nor do I want it. You see, opinions are like butt-cracks. Everyone has one, and they all stink.

Have a great day, and GOD bless.

Your question was answered-you just seem to be too stubborn to read the post and comprehend what was said.
JL

sawboy 02-16-2007 06:08 PM

Your right, it was answered. Just not by you. You just wanted to express your "still" un-needed opinion, and call names.

I will respond no further to your ramblings. Your intelligence is sorely lacking for any real exchange of views (thus your need to call names). It is this lack of intelligence that scares me. It is folly to argue with an idiot, for they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Bye Bye Troll, and good luck with your "Protect Ford Warranty" march!

rsylvstr 02-16-2007 06:16 PM

Your right, it was answered. Just not by you. You just wanted to express your "still" un-needed opinion, and call names.

I will respond no further to your ramblings. Your intelligence is sorely lacking for any real exchange of views (thus your need to call names). It is this lack of intelligence that scares me. It is folly to argue with an idiot, for they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

:-X24 :-X24

ReAX 02-16-2007 07:20 PM

Now that's entertainment!

PS, the magnuson moss act will keep your conscience clear aslong as the tuner didn't cause the problem. http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm

Johnny Langton 02-16-2007 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by ReAX
Now that's entertainment!

PS, the magnuson moss act will keep your conscience clear aslong as the tuner didn't cause the problem. http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm

The Magnuson Moss act does not protect for engine damage or trans damage due to calibration changes that increase the power output of the vehicle and/or the trans shift schedule and firmess. Those items are not designed to handle more power than stock(we all know they will,but that's not the way the laws are written)and Ford does NOT have to honor any kind of powertrain warranty on the vehicle when you modify those things. The Magnuson Moss act does help prevent the dealer from refusing to repair suspension if you had an exhaust kit on it,or items such as that.
JL

Johnny Langton 02-16-2007 07:55 PM

You call me a troll,and one of your first posts here is to talk about hiding mods that will void a powertrain warranty.
Pot,Kettle.
Go ahead and mod it,break it,and see how much response you get from the dealers when they find signs of those mods.They're looking for ANY reason to void powertrain warranties on diesels right now,and they know what to look for.
JL