Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   3.8 & 4.2L V6 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum50/)
-   -   Hydrolock question (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/577471-hydrolock-question.html)

scottrcr22 02-07-2007 01:38 PM

question about this hydrolock

my aunt has a 98 f-150 with this great problem i think. it has 120,000 miles on it. she parked it and went out to start it and would not start. i replaced starter after testing it was bad.put on new starter and it turned about half way and stopped. it was not until last night i typed in 4.2l on ask. com did i learn of this problem. my question is what is my next step. i planned to pull out spark plugs and see if there is antifreeze in there. i also, while i was changing the starter turned the motor over by hand it was easy at some points and very hard at others. i am very familiar with engines as i used to race and i no nothing of the hydro-lock. any help would be appreciated. please email me with any info you can help with . thank you in advance

BrianA 02-07-2007 07:03 PM

Welcome to FTE.
Glad the Web lead you here and hope you like it.

The 97 and early 98 model runs were prone to premature lower intake manifold gasket failure, and in some cases, timing chain cover gasket failure.

I'd do what you mention:
Pull all the plugs and check the cylinders for fluid. You can probably tell by inspecting the plugs.

If the plugs are in, it will be harder to turn at some places. When you move the engine thorough a compression stroke, it will be a hard to turn over by hand.
Try turning it over by hand with all the plugs out.

Get back with more info and we'll try to help.
Thanks.

scottrcr22 02-08-2007 08:20 AM

hydrolock

thaks brian. i am aware of the compression stroke. it was very hard. this truck has 120,000 and there is no way it has that much compression. i am going to get the truck towed to my house this weekend and i will pull the plugs. i just wanted to make sure this is my next step. thank you i will keep you informed on my progress. thanks again

BrianA 02-08-2007 09:27 AM

10-4.
Keep us posted. I'm interested to hear what you find.

Thanks!

scottrcr22 02-11-2007 09:35 PM

bad news

hey brian. i pulled out the plugs. 2 of them on the passenger side are soaking wet with anti freeze and 1 on the driverside is a burnt green color. i started unhooking stuff to pull the motor. not looking forward to it as it is 18 degrees outside and i do not have a garage. any suggestions on what to do while it is out? already broke a bolt in block for power steering bracket, a heater hose , and the plug wires. also what gasket numbers do i need? any help would be greatly appreciated. wanna come pull the motor ? ha ha thanks in advance.

BrianA 02-12-2007 08:02 AM

Sounds like fun :-X07

Not sure of the gasket part numbers. I suspect you could get what you need at a local AdvanceAuto, or NAPA, or similar place.
Also, you might want to browse through the FTE Sponsors. I know a few of them would have what you need.

Regarding your question: "any suggestions on what to do while it is out?"
Nothing other than just finding out what all is bad, getting replacement parts and then getting it all put back together. Not much more you can do really.

Let us know what all you find bad.

Good luck and thanks for checking in and keeping us updated.