Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Virginia Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum147/)
-   -   Would you use Wheel locks in Norfolk??? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/576662-would-you-use-wheel-locks-in-norfolk.html)

The Kingfish 02-05-2007 06:13 PM

Would you use Wheel locks in Norfolk???

We just put 4 new BFG T/A AT KOs on our 1999 F-150.

It will be parked sometimes overnight on the street in Norfolk.

What steps would you take so that your new tires did not get stolen and sold for crack?

Are those wheel lock lug nuts any good?

Thanks!

BoltBuster 02-06-2007 05:10 AM

yes, there is Crackheads everywhere now of days

SuperSnake 02-06-2007 04:00 PM

When you buy your locks for your wheels hide your key in a place different than your glove box or console it's the first place a theif will look after they bust out your glass. I knew a fellow who bought wheel locks and cut off one end of a 4 way lug wrench and had the key welded on.

BoltBuster 02-06-2007 08:18 PM

Most if not all wheel locks can be defeated by a socket just larger than the lock lug. hammered on tight and use of a breaker bar. but this does slow the dumb thief's down or detours them long enough that they will move on to an easier target or plan ahead next tome through your street.

The Kingfish 02-07-2007 04:52 AM

I checked for a set at Auto Zone and Adavance Auto, neither had them for a 99 Ford!!!

Any suggestions?

SuperSnake 02-07-2007 08:14 AM

Go to a Tire store the same place you bought your wheels and tires from they will have them.

Tomcat7742 02-07-2007 04:22 PM

I would have wheel locks on any set of wheels that you do not want stolen not matter where I lived. Leaving your truck overnight in Norfok is the same as leaving it in Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Suffolk or Hampton. I'd be more worried if I had left it in Downtown Portsmouth overnight.

Lees Tires and Rims should sell wheel locks. They are located on Azalea Garden Rd. next to the Little Creek Rd. intersection.

The Kingfish 02-07-2007 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tomcat7742
I would have wheel locks on any set of wheels that you do not want stolen not matter where I lived. Leaving your truck overnight in Norfok is the same as leaving it in Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Suffolk or Hampton. I'd be more worried if I had left it in Downtown Portsmouth overnight.

Lees Tires and Rims should sell wheel locks. They are located on Azalea Garden Rd. next to the Little Creek Rd. intersection.

What locks do you think are the best?

BTW, you must be a navy pilot . . . right?

Tomcat7742 02-07-2007 06:52 PM

Not a Navy pilot (just an enthusiasts) and have no clue who makes the best locks. My rims are stock and have never really worried about putting locks on :)

When are you leaving your truck down here? Maybe I can buy you a beer or something.

The Kingfish 02-08-2007 01:09 AM

I'm an old Ghent boy from way back, just moved out of the big city and up to the family farm about ten years ago. My wife still works there because she's close to retirement. I KNOW Norfolk and that's why I wants me some wheel locks!

Tomcat7742 02-08-2007 05:56 AM

Haha, I've lived here 90% of my life, I just don't think it's that bad. Portsmouth, Hampton and Newport News are much worse IMO. The only place in Norfolk that I would worry about would be Berkley or Bay View around Tidewater Dr.