Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Montana Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum130/)
-   -   Billings Exhaust Shops? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/576365-billings-exhaust-shops.html)

fastmover 02-04-2007 11:55 PM

Billings Exhaust Shops?

Hey,

I have a 70 f250 highboy with a 390 that I am having the engine rebuilt and need some exhaust work done. Can you recommend a good exhaust shop that can do some work on my truck?

I am not sure if I am going to have new manifolds put on with dual exhausts or get headers with the system. I guess it depends on cost.

Thanks,
Karl

Matts72 02-06-2007 12:32 AM

390 manifolds are very restrictive. I've got a few trucks with 390s in them and highly recommend headers.

Depending on what you want, you can usually buy a couple good mufflers on Ebay or Summit/Jegs and have them fabricate a system for you. I did my own exhaust on the last two trucks I've done swaps on... but I highly recommend Terry Collette at Silent Knight Exhaust or Mufflers, Tires, and More off of Grand avenue by Albertsons. Silent Knight is on Central and about 10th I think... I know its on Central on the south side of the road.

New manifolds are most likely unavailable or very expensive. Even used manifolds are hard to come by and pretty expensive.

fastmover 02-06-2007 01:21 AM

Thanks for the info Matt. Can you recommend a brand of headers and mufflers.
Thanks,Karl

fordfan428 02-06-2007 09:28 AM

I have hedman's on the 74 and really like them..The mufflers are just some off brand that seem to be holding up well..Tirerama on central did mine many years ago, did a really good job then..Can't comment now..

It says your location is Ca, I am guessing it isn't updated or you just can't find a good exhaust shop down there..LOL..

fastmover 02-06-2007 12:17 PM

I grew up in Billings and went to Billings Senior. I moved to Ca 10 years ago for work. My brother lives out near Shepard and has had the family pickup we've owned since it was new (1970). I am now getting it, but it needs a new exhaust system and the engine rebuilt before I drive down here. I figure I should get as much work done on it there to save from paying sales tax in California.

It has a 360 now, but I am going to get it rebuilt to a 390. Then I will need the headers.

Thanks,
Karl
Thanks, Karl

Matts72 02-06-2007 10:53 PM

I work at Tire Rama in the heights, and my boss won't let us do exhaust, but the Central store still does exhaust work, you might give them a call.

Flowtech makes a good set of headers... I have flowtechs on my 4x4 and Sanderson's on my 2wd.

I just put a Magnaflow Stainless on my 79 and love the sound... I'll never put glasspacks on again... they are nothing compared to the sound of a nice Magnaflow. I paid about $90 for my muffler from Jegs.

fastmover 02-07-2007 12:39 AM

Thanks for the info. I will call and get some price quotes from these places.
Karl

fastmover 03-29-2007 04:41 PM

Update

Hi,
I am getting my 390 rebuilt now (we thought it was a 360, but were wrong). The next step is finding a good muffler/exhaust shop. I plan to put on some headers and Flowmaster 50 mufflers on them.

Some of you recommended the following muffler shops back in February:
Terry Collette at Silent Knight Exhaust or Mufflers on Central and about 10th
Tires, and More off of Grand avenue by Albertsons.
Tire Rama on Central

Are these still good shops. Any others?
I am flying up to Billings in May to get my truck from my brother. I appreciate all your help in getting me information for fixing up my truck.
Thanks,
Karl

fordfan428 03-30-2007 04:17 PM

Can't be of anymore help with the muffler shops since it has been a very long time since Tire Rama did mine but was wonder how you are getting the 390 rebuilt..Stock?..Not quite stock?..

fastmover 03-30-2007 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by fordfan428
Can't be of anymore help with the muffler shops since it has been a very long time since Tire Rama did mine but was wonder how you are getting the 390 rebuilt..Stock?..Not quite stock?..

Pretty much stock for now. I am going to get a hotter cam put in for when I go to a 4bbl carb and new intake.

I am also replacing the exhaust manifold with headers and dual exhaust.
I was pretty happy with the power before.

Matts72 03-30-2007 04:51 PM

I would stick with Silent Knight exhaust. They are a good reputable shop.

fastmover 03-30-2007 09:37 PM

Thanks. I will go with them. Now I am thinking do I want the pipes to go straight out the back or to bend to the sides behind the wheels????

fordfan428 03-30-2007 11:50 PM

I went just in front of the rear wheels..Looked good to me..

fastmover 03-31-2007 08:55 AM

ford fan, I think exhaust in front of the wheels looks good too. How noisy is it in the cab having your exhaust that way?

fordfan428 03-31-2007 01:26 PM

To me it sounded fine but it may be more noisy then straight out the back..Having a balance tube between the two exhaust banks installed also?..