Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Alaska Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum152/)
-   -   Anchorage For Surgery (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/576245-anchorage-for-surgery.html)

arctic y block 02-04-2007 06:55 PM

Anchorage For Surgery

Well a Nuroligist in Anchorage (after several trips to Seattle) finaly found that my neck is broke as close to the brain stem as possible. I leave on the 7th for immediate surgery. I hope to have a chaperon to go with me. But only have tomorrow to get that set up. This Is the first of several spinal operations they have planed. I simply ask that you pray and keep me in mind. And hope I get a surgeon with a steady hand. If I get to stay at the same hotel I will have access to the boards so will keep in touch.
Some of you may remember my last trip when we got struck by lighting 400 feet of the runway. I hope that was a once in a lifetime thing as It was as close as one can get to going down. Thanks to everyone that prayed the last trip and thanks for your support on this one. You know the worst thing will be not being able to type after the surgery till I can get my hands back up to the key board. But hey my chaperon can. Be like a voice to text program that can type and spell better then me. It would read like a foreign language without my spell checker.

Thanks to all that know what I am going through.
Tricky

arctic y block 02-05-2007 11:41 PM

Just a quick update. I won't be able to get out for a week so I got some more time to get stuff together. And try and get Mommas careto shift right. Plus at least another load of fire wood. So this is good as long as I don't fall. They want to put me in the local hospital to keep me from doing any more damage but had all no smoking rooms so I had to decline. Carl, Capt, Bill I would like ta know ya are in this with me as i am scared as heck and am looking for some support.

arctic y block 02-16-2007 06:48 PM

Well just a quick update as I just got back home. The DR there showed me where two disc have already cut through the outer protective membrane in my neck. And are starting to do nerve damage to the spine. He wanted to do surgery then but the Insurance has to clear it. So I will be going up on the 8th of March (2 days after my birthday) to have the two disc replaced with bone. Than a steel plate screwed to three vertebrae. Both our daily drivers are down as of tonight. So regardless what they say I am not to do. I will be in the shop tomorrow trying ta get one going. The only thing in the yard that will make it to town is my 90 W250 Big Block. And as always it is out of gas. All and all we had a good time in Anchorage and I think I am getting ta like the place.

arctic y block 03-15-2007 10:23 AM

Well still no surgery. Between the Basket Ball tournaments (filling the seats on Alaska Air) and the snow keeping the bush plans on the ground. It will be two more weeks before I can try fore Anchorage again. My Dr. wants to Medivac me to Seattle. Might do that. The rain has got to be better than all this snow. HAAAA

oneminizut 03-15-2007 03:19 PM

I would medivac if it's possible brother. Broken close to the brain stem.... Jesus, you need to get there the fastest way you can and if waiting for a bush plane takes longer than the heli than I'd say medivac. I didn't know how serious it was. We're all pulling for you though!

arctic y block 03-15-2007 03:30 PM

Thanks John. I will be OK for the two week wait as long as I'm careful and wear the neck brace.

oneminizut 03-15-2007 03:38 PM

Oh, funny story... I live in a kind of high crime area, even though were pretty close to the stix. So I usually carry my .45 on me and I forgot that Jared was gonna be at my place at 5:30, so I hear a loud knock and immediately think it's trouble so go to the door with this automatic out of my trousers. Poor guy! What a way to be welcomed to someones house. He was cool with it though, said he knew that after all Pierce County WA isn't the safest place in the world. But man, now I feel bad... but he doesn't even seemed phased. I just thought it was funny cause I do dumb things like that constantly.

arctic y block 03-15-2007 03:41 PM

No wonder ya don't have any friends John. HAAAA I do the same thing with my S&W M19 357. lol
Around here in the winter. Packing heat means ya got a propane torch with ya to thaw stuff out.

oneminizut 03-15-2007 03:45 PM

God, I'm laughing but your right. If it's not my wife telling me to stop looking so menacing when I walk, It's me pulling guns out on innocent people. That's why I have soooo many friends, I'm just a real people person I guess. BTW, I'd love to see that .357

I've been thinking of a revolver, but I dont know what caliber I've seen bigger than a .45 in these parts. I don't know, I just guess I like old westerns too much and my auto's look kinda funny after seeing clint eastwood gun down so many cowboys.

arctic y block 03-15-2007 03:51 PM

Well the only thing around here to be scared of is Black Bear, Wolves, And a couple drunk neighbors.

oneminizut 03-15-2007 03:56 PM

God, I was laughing so hard I nearly fell off my chair. I got nothing compared to black bears or wolves, but I have plenty of drunk neighbors... They tend to stay away from me though. I think it doesn't take long to build a reputation in an area:)

arctic y block 03-15-2007 04:01 PM

Ya they don't bug me anymore either. Guess they figured I was no fun. Haaaa. Gonna lay down for a bit John. Damn meds. I'll check in later Bud.

oneminizut 03-15-2007 04:03 PM

Yay MEDS!!!

I take em' everyday so I don't do bad things:)

Okay, always enjoy talking to you Arctic (Alaska)

Ultramagdan 03-15-2007 09:52 PM

Take care and I hope it all works out. Flying out of Alaska isn't always a piece of cake.

oneminizut 03-15-2007 10:20 PM

Arctic, I think you should know that I'm frying up a big fat cheesburger in front of the vegetarian wife and she's gagging! LOL!

God, that must have been at leat a 1/2 pound of meat. MMMMM Good. Go to hell with those vegetables wifey!