Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   Whistling Noise When Cold Outside (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/575824-whistling-noise-when-cold-outside.html)

04F150SC 02-03-2007 05:08 PM

Whistling Noise When Cold Outside

Hello everyone,
I am a owner of a 2004 (new style) F150 Super Cab-4.6 (67000 miles). Today I was going to the store and I heard a pretty noisy whistling noise coming from the engine. The noise would be on and off, on and off. You could press the pedal and the noise would get louder or softer (if I put the cruise control on, there would be no whistle). The noise could only be heard when going at a faster speed (50 mph). It has never done this before. Today it was only about 5 degrees here-the coldest it has been all year. Does this noise have to do with the coldness, or something else? Any help would be great. Thanks!
Joe

great white 02-04-2007 02:38 PM

Same here, current temp 2F. I get the same "whistle" nosie at speeds between 40mph and 50mph and a tach reading of 1900 to 2000rpm. I had read on previous post that it could be the intake were it connects up to the fender well. Tried to reseat mine problem still exists. I had read on previous posts that alernator is suspect. Other posts say tensioner. I have had experience with tensioner going out (98 Expedition) and the nosie is not the same. My only other thought is power steering pump.

The weird thing is I cannot duplicate when vehicle is stationary and I bring the idle up to 1900 - 2000 rpm.

This does seem to be a common problem. I want to fix mine but its just to darn cold to get under the hood.

Big-Red-Lariat 02-04-2007 07:46 PM

just took mine to the dealer for this, and they told me there is a TSB calling for a belt upgrade...they ordered a belt.
I dont see the TSB online...does anyone know the number?

kevincw 02-04-2007 07:52 PM

The cold weather whistle is the coolant overflow tank TSB. The fix is that the dealer puts two stop leak / lube pellets in the radiator. All fixed.

BOSSMAN302 02-04-2007 07:52 PM

I work at a dealership and just started having this problem when the cold weather came. we have 4 f150s and 1 explorer doing this. have tried belt and tensioner, disconnecting the alt and driving still there, we even called ford and there suggestion was to seal off the air cleaner, we did this but the noise was still there. Also changed the throttle body but that didn't fix it. I personally think it is in the intake but have not proven this yet. If anyone has truly fixed this problem we would love an answer to this problem. thanks in advance.

WVF150VIANC 02-05-2007 10:09 AM

Yep, mine's doing it as well. Mine also does it first start of the day. It's really starting to get aggravating.

04F150SC 02-05-2007 12:48 PM

Well, if anyone finds a solution to the problem, please post it. Thanks for the advice so far.
Joe

Doogie S 02-05-2007 01:20 PM

From what I have read in other forums, it is the alternator that is causing the whistle.

However, if the belt is removed and the truck is driven and the noise still exists, then that kind of kills that idea.

Mine whistles at 1800 to 2000 RPM range only at -12 Degrees C or colder and only when driving down the highway or around town. It cannot be duplicated in park or neutral.

It would be interesting to see how others have fixed the problem. The ones that I have heard being repaired have all been alternators...

Doug

04F150SC 02-05-2007 03:48 PM

Did the whistle go away when the weather warmed up? The reason I ask is because this is the first time I have had the truck in this cold of weather..
Joe

great white 02-05-2007 04:32 PM

Here is what I tried today. Temp's today hovered around 5 degrees. Anytime I reached that magical 1800rpm to 2000rmp range the whistle was there. As the engined warmed to normal operating temps (mid range on gauge) whistle was still there. As I was on the highway I could set my cruise control around 68 mph (1900 rpm est) and the whislte was constant. While in cruise mode I tried the following:

Heat off = no change
Lights on = no change
Radio off/on = no change
AC on = no change
Wipers on = no change

This symptom is range specific. Today I noticed for the first time when the vehicle hit that 1800rpm to 2000 rpm range, in any gear the whislte would return.

So before the end of my trip on the highway today I thought I would try something different. I brought the vehicle up to 80 mph and let the vehicle coast thru the 1800rpm -2000rpm range (in neutral) and there was no whislte.

I am leaning towards intake, but not sure of the fix. I would think if it was an alternator when I turned on the AC while in crusie I would have noticed a drop in tone, I didnt.

As for problem going away in warmer temps, it would seem my boundry for whislte / no whislte is 25-30 degrees outside temp.

Definately one of those frustrating issues ........................

WVF150VIANC 02-05-2007 04:40 PM

Mine does it above freezing temps, but has been much worse during this cold snap. Like I mentioned in my earlier post, mine does it right after first start of the day, in PARK. I noticed if I barely touched the gas pedal while idling/warming up, it went away. It also goes away after accelerating past 70 MPH when driving.

Air intake intaking air where it shouldn't be?:-D

Ferguson65 02-05-2007 07:07 PM

Mine just started this today. My mom's 03 explorer does it, and also a coworker's 05 F150. I doubt it's intake related due to the fact that mine has an airaid MIT, and his is bone stock. It happened at about 2100 rpm every time I heard it, went away when it warmed up. I drove it today because I was dropping it off for service tomorrow, so I just added that to my list. Also noticed that it will only happen with a load on engine, very noticable on hills.

kevlm 02-05-2007 08:26 PM

my '04 f150 does it also when it's cold. Usually it only does it when the vehicle is moving and RPMs are at the 1750 to 2000 rqange. Tonight, after work, I was sitting in the parking lot waiting for it to warm up. The dreaded whistling began so I opened the hood to try to locate where it was coming from. Air intake, belt or whatever. It was definately coming from the front of the engine. It was hard to pinpoint with the moving belt and the different pulleys, but I'm pretty sure it was the altenator. Bringing it in for the 30000 service on the 19th and will tell them my findings. If it is that and they fix/replace the altenator, and that ends the noise, I'll post back then.

Red Star 02-05-2007 08:51 PM

I noticed same thing tonight.

-6 F here in Milwaukee. I got out of college, started it up and I head whistling noise for few seconds. I left truck running for few minutes until it warmed up. Then started driving, heard whistling noise again (low speeds, maybe 15-20 mph) for few seconds, and that was it, I didn't heard whistling noise again. I drove as fast as 60 mph tonight, but didn't heard whistling noise again.

2005 SuperCab 4x4 4.6L, 4,100 miles.

kfx400_1124 02-05-2007 09:29 PM

I've had the whistling going on for about a year, only when it is cold, like 30 or below, noticing it more now that it is well below zero, mine when went away with warmer weather. Also went I let off the gas the noise went away. So thats my story.

'04 fx4 Scab 5.4L w/ roushcharger

04F150SC 02-06-2007 01:16 PM

Same here, if you let off the gas, the noise goes away.

VFR_Man 02-06-2007 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by 04F150SC
Same here, if you let off the gas, the noise goes away.

In that case, it just about has to be in the intake tract, right? What would be common between a truck with an OE intake and one w/ the Roushcharger? It looks like the throttle body is reused, and it's the only component that seems common in all of these instances everyone has listed.

Is there some feature in the throttle body that could whistle given the right air density and velocity? If the whistle is there, you may be SOL for ever eliminating it.

You about need a temperature and humidity controlled room with a dyno to really get your arms around this one.

Doogie S 02-06-2007 02:21 PM

I'm not entirely sure it's the intake. I have the complete Airraid MIT intake system and it does it. Sounds like some of the posters have the stock intake system and a co-worker has a 04 FX4 with the scaled down Airraid jr. intake system and it does it.

I had a whistle through the intake when I originally had the K&N Intake system installed, as it has a throttle spacer that relocates the throttle body up a bit to increase the size of the plenum. According to K&N this is a known issue and they credited me my money back because of it. The sound is also different, as it happens at different levels and was pretty much constant regardless of RPM range.

The sound definitely goes away in warmer weather and only occurs, at least on mine, when the temp falls below -8 degrees C, 1800 to 2000 RPM and when the vehicle is in motion.

Doug

05F150CabinetMaker 02-06-2007 05:55 PM

I have the same problem, loud squealing noise from powersteering pump in morning when cold. Also when driving down highway or interstate loud whistling/squealing noise. Brought it to dealer today and didnt make any noises for mechanic (of course). Basically he told me I was an idiot and not to worry about it. I think it is NOT normal! A 2005 F150 with 14000 miles it should make NO noises of this volume reguardless of tempuature. Very frustrated and annoyed!

AB328 02-06-2007 06:33 PM

I have a 2004 FX4 5.4 engine, I live in Northern, MN where it has been getting down to -30-40 below F. My truck does the same thing. I had my alternator changed the first winter I had the truck and the sound went away. However, the sound came back with this recent cold snap. I actually had another, "redesigned" alternator put in today and so far so good. The dealer did not have a reason as to why the alternators whistle/squeal when cold?? I will keep you all posted if this seems to work. It is supposed to be -15-20 tonight so it will be tested in the morning.

REDFORDFX4 02-06-2007 06:46 PM

Have 2004 Fx4 Screw And Also Does This,only Does When Like 20 Degrees Or Colder Also In Mn.
Had Read On Other Posts Last Year About Same Thing And Said It Was The Cooling Fan In The Transmission?
As Long As I Keep It Below 2000 Rpm Til Gets Warm Usually Pretty Good.

jdwheels 02-07-2007 08:09 AM

I park inside, so the engine is at around 40 degrees when I leave in the morning, the squeal starts right away, so in my case, I feel its the air intake, or someone else said they hada PVC valve that was the problem. In any case I have not found my "cold air whistle" yet.

Doogie S 02-07-2007 09:08 AM

I guess the only good thing is that we are heading into spring and the noise will be gone come April for another year...:)

Doug

Ryan50hrl 02-07-2007 03:08 PM

Same thing....bone stock 5.4 in a 2005....dealer supposedly can't replicate it.

SCRWDRVR 02-07-2007 03:41 PM

Mine just did this for the first time yesterday but I think this is the coldest its been since I bought the truck (around 9 degrees in the morning) I have to do some more checking on this, it definetly sounds like air flow not a part I think.

obx h2o boy 02-08-2007 09:53 AM

Just had this happen to me this morning. Temp in the garage: 23F Temp outside 12F.

I noticed the squeal comes on around 1600rpm. After 20 minutes of driving it went away. I thought I had noticed it once or twice before, but this was the 1st time the noise consistantly repeated itself until 20 minutes of driving. It is un-nerving.

96sherm 02-08-2007 12:42 PM

well...i'm supprised that someone else hasn't already suggested it but, rumour has it that its your idle air control. a ford famous it seems, i've got the same problem in an '02 s'crew 4.6l. in the 97-03 forum there's a thread about it with pictures...guys have cleaned/replaced it and the noise goes away...for me...it just drowns out the wife....:-yeahrigh :-X02

bob schulz 02-08-2007 02:10 PM

Same whitsling noice here. Throttle position sensative. I can make it whistle by modulating the throttle ever so slightly at about 34 mph with a 3.70 rear end, 4.2L engine, '04 F-150. Previous bulletins that I've read referenced the idle-air bypass flow circuit, specifically the bent nylon hose, to be replaced in the 5.4L engine with a nipple/hose assembly kit #2L1Z-9W548-AA.

I don't know if any of this information is correct as I have not been in for my next oil change. No driveability problems, I think it is merely an air hose or valve problem, possibly connected to age and temperature.

Never heard the noise until this January with 24,000 miles. Later Dudes.

04F150SC 02-08-2007 06:01 PM

Today the temperature reached 20-25 degrees F. and there was no noise. Previously there was. Others have said this means it could be the alternator (cold temperature-whistles, warm temperature-everything sounds normal). Any thoughts/comments?

VFR_Man 02-08-2007 06:24 PM

I don't think that rules out anything in particular. If it's an alternator whistle, the bearings must be happier with the warmer temps. If it's an intake whistle, the warmer air temp has reduced the air density and changed the air flow dynamics or something else to eliminate the whistle.

It's still a mystery.:-X20

96sherm 02-08-2007 10:15 PM

if its bearings, the whistle should be constantly there. as the rpm's increase, then the whistle should as well. the whistle being described is intermitant, happening only at certain rpms...i figure that eliminates the bearings...

rmartens24 02-09-2007 08:48 AM

I am bringing my 04 F150 into the dealer tomorrow to get the whistle noise checked out. When I spoke to him on the phone he mentioned that he has dealt with this problem on other trucks and it has been the alternator. They are going to have the truck all day, so hopefully they find the problem. I will post the fix once I get the truck back.

WVF150VIANC 02-09-2007 12:03 PM

Does everyones sound just like a coaches whistle? That is exactly what mine reminds me of.

rmartens24 02-09-2007 12:05 PM

That's what mine kind of sounds like. It's a high pitched whistle that starts out quiet and gets louder and than back down again...kind of like a siren.

WVF150VIANC 02-09-2007 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by rmartens24
That's what mine kind of sounds like. It's a high pitched whistle that starts out quiet and gets louder and than back down again...kind of like a siren.

Yep, same thing. I wonder sometimes, in these forums, if we are all talking about the same thing when we try to describe noises to others.

I'm going to try to get mine into the dealership next week. While there trying to find the referee under my hood, they can also replace these junk rotors...again.

markstanfield 02-10-2007 06:34 AM

Mine sounds like a turbo whine...comes and goes. I thought it was a vaccum leak at first

03Kodiak 02-10-2007 09:26 AM

Same thing on my 1998 4.6... 188,000 miles... Leaning towards dirty IAC, as it has a consistent but not so smooth idle...

bocody 02-11-2007 04:16 PM

Thought I'd weigh in on this too. I have an 05. It just started doing this when it got really cold(single digits, teens F). Once mine warms up the noise goes away. It usually happens just before it shifts to a higher gear. Hoping to find an answer here to have some ammunition when I go to my dealer, who is next to worthless.

FX4Screw 02-11-2007 04:29 PM

The fix here is to replace the alternator. I had mine replaced on my 2006 FX4 and it's quiet now. Hope this helps!

rmartens24 02-12-2007 07:32 AM

I brought my 04 FX4 into the dealer on Saturday and he confirmed that it's the alternator. They replaced it and it fixed the problem. I had the constant noise the whole way to the dealer, which is about 80 miles. The way home there was not a sound.