Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Attempted F250 Theft (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/572570-attempted-f250-theft.html)

madjak 01-25-2007 08:25 PM

Attempted F250 Theft

A buddy and I went to Home Depot on the West Loop in Houston at lunch. My truck was broken into and almost stolen.
Two Spanish guys drove up in an orange van with "Escalantes" written on the side.They jumped out and pushed the passenger side lock out and then entered the cab and destroyed the ignition switch. They got spooked and left when they they realized there was an older lady in a van watching them.
The older lady relayed this info to her husband when he returned from shopping and he relayed to us what had happened when we came out of the store. We were probably in the store for 20 minutes or less. I called the police and they came, very quickly, and I filed a police report.
Had the truck towed to MacHaik Ford for repair......cost of repair is $465.00 plus towing and I have $500.00 deductable, so the repair is all mine.
Police officer said they have had several incidents at Home Depot"s and Wal Marts with auto thefts.
Be careful out there if you are in Houston. Don't park in the fringe areas like I did, trying to protect my truck from door openers
Jack

Jack

mongo75 01-25-2007 08:39 PM

In Texas, don't ya'll have the right to concealed carry? One of only a handfull of states with any ba!!$ still left.

redford 01-25-2007 08:53 PM

I think they issue carry permits at birth there!

Banksforddiesel99 01-25-2007 11:39 PM

dang Houston just seems to be a place where theft occurs often, i know Bearhunter had his truck stolen from a Military base last July.

Cuda444 01-26-2007 12:19 AM

More than just concealed carry... don't you still have the right to defend your property with whatever you MAY be concealing?! Granted a truck is replacable... but drawing down on someone would probably make them think twice... *Shrug*

david.brady 01-26-2007 12:41 AM

In Colorado no permit is "required", so they say. I have my .40 S&W under my seat so it wouldnt do much good. Thta just erks me though, thieves. I hope the alarm system I have in my truck will work like it is supposed to and alert me in the store, I'd leave my cart where it sat and be ready for some azz whoopin'!!! :-X01

Lonewolftx 01-26-2007 07:08 AM

Life in Houston . . .

Well across town a man and a women were driving their F350 and two Hispannics drew down on them, shot the guy (driver) and pushed him out of the truck, and kidnapped the women who they released the next night at a local corner gas station/store.

Houston is the 4th largest city on the US of A so these are not surprising events, only dissapointing to those of us who live here.

Mongo75 & Cuda444 - You would have to have your gun, be there when they are taking your truck, and be close enough to hit them (and nobody else) in order to stop the theft. Chances are they wouldn't be looking at taking your truck if all these things were happening, they would just move on to the next one.
Life in the BIG CITY . . .

Leader 01-26-2007 07:16 AM

Isn't the damage caused from an attempted theft covered under the comprehensive clause in your insurance? Most that I am aware of don't have a deductible on Comp.
Mongo... MOST states now have CCW's
David... A permit to carry counseled is required but not to carry open or in your vehicle in CO.

madjak 01-26-2007 07:22 AM

Leader,

I called my insurance and they said I had $500.00 deductable but you bring up a good point. I will call them back this morning and find out if this can be cosidered a comp claim?

Thanks,
Jack

Zip 01-26-2007 07:33 AM

Yea it does look like I got off a little eaiser than you did. I can't see any damage but will look pretty close once it gets light. I am just going to have to replace ignition and door locks.

madjak 01-26-2007 07:45 AM

Gunar,

I feel very blessed that they were spooked off.... another 30 seconds and they would
have been driving off with my truck and it would probably been in Mexico by today.

Jack

RedBoat 01-26-2007 08:52 AM

madjak, dont feel too bad my 86 ford f-150 was broken into 6 yes 6 times in the West oaks mall area over the course on 3 years. they were never able to get it due to a Ravelco plug. With the purchase of my new F-250 I put a Viper 5900 alarm with the remote paging, so at least if I am in a store and the pager on the remote goes off I might be able to get to the truck before they drive off and hopefully the siren going off will draw a little attention (doubt it but I can humor myself). That Home Depot on the west loop is a ruff area!! My mom had her purse jerked off her arm in that same parking lot going into the Home Depot about 6 months ago.

redford 01-26-2007 10:58 AM

Has anyone ever tried to hook a train horn up to an alarm?

madjak 01-26-2007 12:10 PM

Does anyone know of a good alarm system or is it better to go with a hidden "kill switch".
Next time I may not be so lucky and I know the insurance would try to lowball me on what they would pay if it was stolen.
Thanks for help guys,
Jack

JGRNAUT_7.3L 01-26-2007 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by redford
Has anyone ever tried to hook a train horn up to an alarm?

Haven't done it myself but was at the boat ramp one day when somone set off the alarm on the truck next to me and there train horn was connected and boy did it give me a good jolt, so I guess it can be done.