Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ranchero & 1961 - 1967 Econoline (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum43/)
-   -   Need help identifying brake rotor for Ranchero (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/57194-need-help-identifying-brake-rotor-for-ranchero.html)

bbtkd 07-17-2002 10:37 AM

Need help identifying brake rotor for Ranchero

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 17-Jul-02 AT 11:39 AM (EST)]Hello - I have a 1973 Ranchero which apparently does not have the factory disc brakes on it. I had a rotor go bad, so I ordered a new one. But it was incorrect. The ones that are on it are 10 3/4" while the ones specified for it (and years around it) are 11". The inner bearing is also larger on the ones that are on the vehicle. I need to try to identify what vehicle mine came off of, since they are apparently not factory.

So - I am looking for the year and model of Ford which took 10 3/4" inch front disc brake rotors. Numbers on the rotor are "1120" and "816028". Not sure if those are Ford numbers or aftermarket. With the low mileage of the truck (~50k), I suspect they are Ford originals. Thanks!

blu93gt 07-17-2002 06:01 PM

sounds like the spindles have been changed.

if nobody comes up with an answer, i'd try taking the old rotor to a friendly auto parts store and match it up. you'll pretty much have to do that anyway, just to be sure.

something else to look at is the grease seal. when i got new grease seals for my mustang, i took the old seals to the store just to be sure (it helps!) they looked them up in the computer, got me the new ones, and they looked the same. when i put them on, they just dropped right in. they shouldn't do that!

i took a closer look... the O.D. of the new ones were VERY slightly smaller (less than 1/16th inch) than the old ones. went back and got the right ones.

the point is that ford made rotors with VERY SLIGHT differences, so the answer you get here could be ALMOST right... when you go to match them up, look very closely!

bbtkd 07-18-2002 09:18 PM

>sounds like the spindles have been changed.
>
>if nobody comes up with an answer, i'd try taking the old
>rotor to a friendly auto parts store and match it up.
>you'll pretty much have to do that anyway, just to be sure.
>

I actually left the rotor with the parts store so they could search. They measured and then called the warehouse and had them measure a few, but no go. They checked several years of Ranchero. Someone on another forum seems sure that from 1974 on the Torino came with either the 10 3/4" or the 11" depending I suppose on engine size. So I'll try that next...

bbtkd 09-29-2002 07:55 AM

>>sounds like the spindles have been changed.
>>
>>if nobody comes up with an answer, i'd try taking the old
>>rotor to a friendly auto parts store and match it up.
>>you'll pretty much have to do that anyway, just to be sure.
>>
>
>I actually left the rotor with the parts store so they could
>search. They measured and then called the warehouse and had
>them measure a few, but no go. They checked several years
>of Ranchero. Someone on another forum seems sure that from
>1974 on the Torino came with either the 10 3/4" or the 11"
>depending I suppose on engine size. So I'll try that
>next...

End of the story: I eventually got a rotor to match the old one, but the brakes never seemed to be quite right. The new rotor kept getting loose on the spindle, and on left hand corners I would hear metal on metal. I finally took it in - and it was determined that a previous owner had upgraded to heavy duty rotors but those rotors did not match the standard duty spindles. I ended up putting two correct rotors on and all is well...

6t8 10-06-2002 09:45 PM