Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum27/)
-   -   Are autolite sparkplugs the same as motorcraft? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/568708-are-autolite-sparkplugs-the-same-as-motorcraft.html)

Ibarria 01-15-2007 06:28 PM

Are autolite sparkplugs the same as motorcraft?

I went to autozone today to buy a set of 4 sparkplugs for my focus, looking for platinum motorcraft spark plugs, and they told me to just get the autolite platinum sice motorcraft and autolite were the same.. is that true? also.. if you have the chance to change the tranmission and differential fluid,would you use motorcraft or some other synthetic brand (mobil1)
Mobil1 differential fluid is cheaper than the motorcraft and I was told that with mobil 1 I wouldnt need friction modifier, in the other hand motorcraft is way more expensive, and besides the oil I would have to add the friction modifier (an extra $10) ??

suggestions? please?

slc10844 01-15-2007 07:01 PM

Motorcraft and Autolite are not the same. Autolite and Fram are subsidiaries of the Honeywell Corporation. Motorcraft is not. Check your owners manual. If the Mobil 1 fluid meets the Ford specs for you application you can use it. Mobil products are some of the best around.

Ibarria 01-15-2007 07:49 PM

SHOOT.. if autolite is the same as fram, then I will NEVER buy an autolite product, it is known that fram is one of the worst brands in the market :P

thanks for your replay slc

Johnny Langton 01-15-2007 09:06 PM

Honeywell manufactures the Motorcraft plugs for Ford and to Ford's specs. That's why the autolites look the same-they're made in the same way,but to a slightly lesser tolerance/quality than the OE Motorcrafts.
JL

aagitch 01-15-2007 09:43 PM

I'd stick with the motorcrafts. Honeywell owns prestone, fram, bendix, autolite but like JL said there's a little bit of difference. Denso made plugs for ford in the past but don't know if they still do.

Ibarria 01-15-2007 10:55 PM

how about oil? should I use Mobil1 and no friction modifier for less money or buy motorcraft and friction modifier and spend a couple tens ($10) more?

thanks

aagitch 01-15-2007 11:09 PM

I used mobil 1 synthetic for my fluid changes. It's just as good if not better than the motorcraft fluid and less money. It will meet or exceed ford's requirement.

Ibarria 01-15-2007 11:15 PM

I thought that the 5.20 and 10-30 syn-blend motorcraft was good, until I saw a graph of tests performed in almost all oil brands, motorcraft was the last one in almost every test, 1st was amsoil, second Mobil 1

MisterCMK 01-15-2007 11:51 PM

Autolite spark plugs = Motorcraft spark plugs

hookd 01-16-2007 06:17 AM

yep if you can't afford the best (amsoil) go with the next best thing (mobil 1) as far as the spark plugs I just know what I have read on here and for the most part everyone sticks with motorcraft

Bob Ayers 01-16-2007 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by hookd
..yep if you can't afford the best (amsoil)..

Amsoil products have an inflated price because of the MLM structure, not
because they are any better.....Matter of fact, only 2 of Amsoil's oil products are API certified......just my $0.02

MisterCMK 01-16-2007 07:54 AM

I use Napa brand oil which is manufactured by Ashland (Valvolene). 152k on the 5 liter mustang and 176k on the 4 liter Explorer on dyno oil. Works for me. :D

2000Expy 01-16-2007 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Ibarria
how about oil? should I use Mobil1 and no friction modifier for less money or buy motorcraft and friction modifier and spend a couple tens ($10) more?

thanks

What do you want to use friction modifier for?

2000Expy 01-16-2007 08:56 AM

Do a search on Amsoil posts, did you Bob? Can't wait to pounce? I'd say you've given more then your 2 cents around here on Amsoil. Frankly I think your Amsoil talking points are tired and shallow.

Anyway, since you don't need to change your spark plugs that often, I would just go with Motorcraft. If you change your oil according to your owner's manual, I would use Motorcraft. You can get those at Walmart.

MisterCMK 01-16-2007 09:53 AM

It doesn't matter if you use the Autolites or the Motorcraft plugs. They are the same!

As far as oil filters go, make sure that the Motorcraft filter you get from Wal-Mart is one of the Purolator made filters. Rumor has it that Fram is manufacturing the Motorcraft filters for sale in Wal-Mart now.