Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Competition (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum187/)
-   -   6.9 performance parts search (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/567661-6-9-performance-parts-search.html)

jusnuts 01-12-2007 11:54 PM

6.9 performance parts search

Hey i'm new here and i'm looking for some performance parts. I have a 6.9 and i'm looking for a performance cam that's ment for a turbo setup. larger injectors and forged pistons that are a little lower compression.

cookie88 02-21-2007 07:29 PM

Does the truck already have a turbo? You might be better served just turning up the fuel a little as opposed to messing with the cam profile.

Why do you want to lower the compression? Is this going to be a competition engine? Low compression diesels are very difficult to start.

Banksforddiesel99 02-22-2007 03:31 PM

with a 6.9, your better off pulling that thing out, and dropping in either a 6BT cummins or a newer 7.3 PSD. You will never get the power out of that thing that you will get out of one of these two. You will have a difficult time breaking the 200hp mark with a 6.9. It will be ALOT cheaper and better in the long run if you swap something else in there. That 6.9 will never be fast.

Dave Sponaugle 02-25-2007 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Banksforddiesel99
with a 6.9, your better off pulling that thing out, and dropping in either a 6BT cummins or a newer 7.3 PSD. You will never get the power out of that thing that you will get out of one of these two. You will have a difficult time breaking the 200hp mark with a 6.9. It will be ALOT cheaper and better in the long run if you swap something else in there. That 6.9 will never be fast.

I beg to differ with that statement.
I also lowered my compression, cranked the boost up over 20 PSI and am well satisfied with the way it runs and pulls.

cookie88 02-25-2007 08:11 PM

How low is low compression? I assume you kept it high enough to start it on the glow plugs.

Ever been on a dyno Dave? I'd love to know what kind of power you can make with a 6.9..........I had the crazy idea the other day that I might try to transplant a 6.9/early 7.3 into my bronco.

Banksforddiesel99 02-25-2007 10:57 PM

how much is satisfied dave? me? im not satisfied till my truck will at least spin the tires when i floor it at a dead stop.

cookie88 02-26-2007 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Banksforddiesel99
how much is satisfied dave? me? im not satisfied till my truck will at least spin the tires when i floor it at a dead stop.

My truck did that stock. Just rev it to 3200 or so and side step the clutch.....she'll light 'em right up. 8D

I've spent way too much money on it since then and I'm still not completely satisfied......but I am out of money so it'll have to do. :-missingt ......of course, I do have that 6.0 intercoler in the garage......and I suppose I could put the water injection system back on.......dammit, here we go again. :-headbang

Banksforddiesel99 02-26-2007 07:05 PM

im not talking about reving it up and dumping the clutch, im talking about, if you a 6 speed, have it in gear and floor it and having the tires spinning. same way with a auto, have it in gear, floor it and having the tires to just roast.

greythorn3 04-23-2007 04:34 PM

roast the tire

I roasted my tire on my 6.9 all the time.. open differential and no bed helped.. but i think that one tire was really easy to spin.. i also had the type of tire that is hard plastic that you can get a million miles out of.. and im sure the asphalt had some loose dirt on it.. but it was really easy to do.. and mines totally stock.. on ULSD with POWERSERVICE in it..

ray