Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   New Jersey Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum143/)
-   -   Stalled project - how to restart? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/563665-stalled-project-how-to-restart.html)

mrfox0246 01-02-2007 11:51 AM

Stalled project - how to restart?

Greeetings from northwest NJ! Happy & safe new year! I've had a '54 F100 for about 10 yrs. Initial work in first year included getting the cab solid again (new patch panels) installing disk brakes up front, installing a 70 something Ford 9" rear, lowering all 4 corners (reversed eyes, teflon inserts, leaf removal, etc.), bought a wiring kit from Mid-Fifties but haven't completed it (should have inv3ested in a Painless kit). Lots of phases started, but need someone who'se done this to suggest what to do next; in what order. Have a bone stock 350/350 motor, no interior, no radiator. Should I paint the truck now, or wait, etc. etc.
Thanks for any suggestions
Rich

F100Central 01-02-2007 04:05 PM

You need a chearleader to get going again!

You'll have to plan the truck out because only you know the details that you're going to put into the truck. Finishing the big things let you move onto a lot of little things.

I would break it down into smaller jobs:
  1. Body Cab, doors and front end - If you can do all of the body parts at once go for it. I did the front end and then the back because I didn't have much room. The cab only goes in one place basically, so the bed will fit regardless. Put the body back on the frame and make sure everything fits up. If it doesn't fit, it's easier to fit the body without paint on the truck. Finish the body work.
  2. While the truck is together, plan out the truck. If you want to use an under dash mount master cylinder, mount it now. Mount the engine or make sure the engine clears the firewall. Do things like this.
  3. Take the body back apart and do final paint prep. Get it painted.
  4. Now is a good time to finish anything that is on the frame/under the body. It's easier now with no body on. Paint anything you need to underneath. Make sure you have brake lines run, park brake, fuel line, etc.
  5. Order the parts you'll need to mount the cab and install the front end: rubber pieces, fender welting, cowl lacing etc.
  6. Start organizing all the parts, bolts etc. for the front end and cab.
  7. Once the parts are back from paint, mount the cab. I leave the front end with just enough bolts to hold it in place. You'll probably be adjusting them anyway later. I like to put the doors on later so I don't have to walk out around them a million times while I'm doing stuff inside the cab. The hood sits kind of low so I try to do as much as I can before that goes on (wiring and stuff like that).
  8. Start wiring things up. Start under the dash and move out from there: Headlights, park lights, interior stuff like gauges, door switches and dome light etc.
  9. Install rubber bumpers, grommets etc., etc. You can do glass now or later.
  10. I don't know where that leaves us, but you should be able to go from there and finish up details.
  11. Last, attack the bed in similar fashion.
There are a ton of things I didn't type, but this will get you going. Remember to order parts in time so you can keep building. Don't let anything stand in your way...Good luck