Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Need Measurments for installing small block Chevy in 56 F-100 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/56079-need-measurments-for-installing-small-block-chevy-in-56-f-100-a.html)

deerel 03-04-2001 08:26 PM

Need Measurments for installing small block Chevy in 56 F-100

I am doing a ground up street rod version on a 56-F-100. Installed air bag suspension and disc brakes on all 4 wheels along with a 9" rear end and Mustang II front end. I bought much of the equipment from Air Ride Technology and Total Cost Involved. They took good care of me. Now I am trying to put a small block Chevy in it. Does anyone have any measurements on the motor mounts? I purchased the universal mount kit from Dennis Carpenter but it looks like I am going to have to fabricate motor mounts that will actually mount on the TCI crossmember. Does anyone have any experience on engine placement when using a Mustang II front-end? Any help with measurments would be appreciated.

Franklin2 03-05-2001 11:00 AM

Everybody's truck is different. Are you going with long water
pump or short? HEI or standard distributor? Type of fan and
radiator? What I am getting at is you are going to have to
temporarily mock everything in the engine compartment up, and
hang the engine and trans in the engine compartment. A general
rule is as low and to the rear as much as possible. This is
what I did when I put in a 351c/c4 combo. The only trouble I had was the exhaust. I finally found that 73 mustang headers fit except I had to cut the rear crossmember. Since you have an
independent front, cutting the crossmember shouldn't hurt. I am
going to have to fabricate a new crossmember since it supports
the rear leaf spring mounts. Oh, by the way, you might get some
flack about putting a chevy motor in, but it's your truck and
I look at it as another old Ford truck is resurrected.

Kenny 03-05-2001 04:32 PM

Why would you want to ruin a perfectly good classic truck by installing a brand X engine especially when there are so many great Ford engines to choose from?
Anyway, putting my own opinions aside.......Please check out the FTE charter link and look under the heading "Models covered": https://www.ford-trucks.com/charter.html
This is a pure Ford site, so talk of installing other brand engines is really frowned upon here. Thanks for your future cooperation.

Kenny
Volunteer Assistant Moderator
1948-60 Ford Truck forum

srider 03-05-2001 08:06 PM

Hey Kenny, wake up! There are alot of ford hotrods running chevy power. The reasons are availibility and price of parts and accesories not to mention the fact that the small block fits in some chassis so much easier, Some people are on a budget and need to use what is available to them. Personally I wonder how many participants in this site have camaro or valare front clips under their truck. Why don't don't you kick them off as well? If you guys feel this strongly about keeping it pure ford, I've got a 60 f100 you could have while it's still stock.

Kenny 03-06-2001 12:23 AM

srider,
First.... I know there are a lot of hotrod Fords with Chevy engines in them. Whatever floats your boat. Hey, it's your truck! My only point was that according to the FTE charter guidelines, THIS is not the place to discuss putting a Chevy engine in a Ford! (please click on the link in my last post)

Second.... Nobody has kicked anyone off this site! I only asked politely not to discuss putting a Chevy engine in a Ford here. If deerel would like to talk about the rest of his truck, I would love to hear from him.

Third....I'm sure that a lot of people here have camaro or volare clips. You ask why is that different?? Because there is nothing in the FTE guidelines that states it can't be discussed.

I would love to take that '60 F-100 off your hands. I just wish I had the means or the room to purchase another truck! :) I don't make the rules here, I just help out with enforcing them. Technically, this thread should have been locked, but I did not want to take it that far.

Kenny
Volunteer Assistant Moderator
1948-60 Ford Truck Forum

mtflat 03-06-2001 09:26 AM

I might pass along the following advice. Take a walk in the woods and find a good stout stick approximately 3 ft. long and about 2 inches thick, or as a substitute search the closets for a ballbat that approximates those dimensions. Hold it by one end with both hands. Start with the opposite end near the floor and swing it upward in a smooth, steady arc until it terminates its travel at your noggin. Repeat as necessary. When you come to your senses you should see a BLUE OVAL in your vision. Immediately embrace it and promise to never let such a thought enter your head again. :)
'Course this is tongue in cheek - I have one of every brand in my driveway, but my heart pumps blue.....

4byford 03-06-2001 10:07 AM

I wince whenever I see one of those bellybutton engines (everybody's got one) in a beautiful Ford- but hey, if blasphemy is your thing, it is your truck!
However, unless you plan to keep it forever, you might consider the resale value. With mongrel swaps, you turn off many potential buyers- the Chevy guy doesn't want it because it is a Ford, the Ford guy isn't interested because of the Chevrolet engine.

Frankly, unless it is a Y-block, that distributor better be in the front if it is under a Ford hood. There are a lot of old Chevies with stovebolt inline 6s that would die to have a Chev v-8 under the hood. After all, they didn't get one until 1955...(23 years after Ford).

tlak 03-06-2001 04:47 PM

How can this charter be changed because I had the same plans to put a 350 in my 55. I see this as a big problem if you would not help or suggest that somebody go somewhere else because of a different engine in one of these old trucks. I look at for sale ads quite a bit and the quaintity of different brand engines in these trucks are enormous. Ive seen ads with Chry, Chevy, Pontiac, etc.. to even include the cummins turbo diesel. This is a friendy help board not a concurs correct car show. Also for somebody to suggest that these trucks are of a less value should go look at these same ads. Just my .02 cents

tkbowman 03-07-2001 12:27 AM

Just out of curiousity, how did the TCI front crossmember installation go for you? Did you take any pictures of the installation that you'd be willing to share? I've purchased one and am getting ready to put it in my '56 F100 and am collecting all of the data I can before I start cutting and welding :-).

Re: motor mounts, I'm putting in a 302/C4 but still expect to have to set my own mount locations. My rear crossmember was already cut on the truck before I purchased it, so I'll have to construct a new crossmember to support the transmission.

Tim in Burien

fords2952 03-28-2001 03:28 PM

The cheap and availability arguements are past history,just about every Ford engine will fit between the frame rails! I agree that this doesn't have a place on a Ford board! What kind of reception do you think you would get on a Chevy board asking how to put a 351 in a 53 Chevy truck? We Ford guys know the answer to that!!!

darkman 03-28-2001 04:11 PM

I support Kenny and the charter. There are plenty of other forums for that topic or you can simple call any of the front end IFS kits manufacturers. I really prefer to keep Fords as original as possible understanding that certain pieces need upgrading for saftey issues. That doesn't mean that every car or truck needs to be concours correct. If it does need to be modified then I like to use Ford products if possible.

Thanks Charles

trouble 03-28-2001 07:41 PM

a x-brand motor doesnt belong in a FORD,, its funny i work around those x brand guys in the shop all day. I swear there dumb as the dirt they walk on

fatforty 03-28-2001 09:25 PM

Hi, I just have to have my say here. I bought a started project truck it is a 1940 FORD 1/2 ton it is being taken back apart because I feel that a Ford should be powered by a Ford and if you can fit a superchaged 454 between the fenders on a 40 then you can fit any ford engine they made!!!!! I also agree that you cant keep them all stock or even 100% ford mine has a different frame under it Chevy LUV japanese but it is a boxed frame with rack and pinion steering and disc brakes but the rear is ford and so is the rack and the engine will be soon!!! you guys that swap in chevy engines just do it for the ease of installation. True it is easy but so is a ford if you change the pan and oil sump. Another reason is its cheap well I have to give you that one it is cheaper to do it with a chevy but the ford will stay together longer I'm going to put a 5.0 H.O. in my forty and it will run better and longer than your chevy. Plus it will be all ford drivetrain in a ford. I bet you won't put a chevy rear in your truck will you? why not? because ford is better thats why and so is the transmission and the engine. Go with the ford guys its not that much harder orthat much more expensive and you won't catch all the flack about the engine. John
BTW good call Kenny!!!

ke6bnl 03-29-2001 04:48 PM

>How can this charter be changed
>because I had the same
>plans to put a 350
>in my 55. I see
>this as a big problem
>if you would not help
>or suggest that somebody go
>somewhere else because of a
>different engine in one of
>these old trucks. I look
>at for sale ads quite
>a bit and the quaintity
>of different brand engines in
>these trucks are enormous. Ive
>seen ads with Chry, Chevy,
>Pontiac, etc.. to even include
>the cummins turbo diesel. This
>is a friendy help board
>not a concurs correct car
>show. Also for somebody to
>suggest that these trucks are
>of a less value should
>go look at these same
>ads. Just my .02 cents
>
I am all ears because I also will be putting 350 in my 50 f1, because of access of available parts at a reasonable price, familiarity from previous vehicles, on and on. You know what every old truck kept running has its own life, and no two are going to be the same. Live and let live. Ed ke6bnl And I do what pleases Ed

Kenny 03-29-2001 11:15 PM

Ed, I'm glad you do what pleases Ed! It is your truck and you should be able to do whatever you want with it. :) However, this site belongs to Ken Payne, and he should be able to do what he wants with it. According to the FTE charter, it is his wishes that putting other brand engines into ford trucks not be discussed HERE. Clips, frames, etc., are not listed in the guidelines as unacceptable. Please understand that I am only a volunteer moderator (meaning I don't get paid to do this), and I don't make the rules. Sorry, but unless I hear otherwise from Ken I will continue to ask that it not be posted here. Thank you in advance for your future cooperation. :)

Kenny
Volunteer Moderator
1948-1960 Ford truck Forum