Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Modular V10 (6.8l) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum49/)
-   -   confused.01 v10 no power pls help (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/558292-confused-01-v10-no-power-pls-help.html)

01f-250v10 12-16-2006 09:21 PM

confused.01 v10 no power pls help

OK. I have a 2001 F-250 V10..44,000miles, 4.30 gears muffler and k&n. Truck has plenty of power when not loaded. i have driven others that feel gut less compared to mine. Now i hook up to a 19 foot toy hualer.weight i don't know but the GVWR is 11,000 pounds.. so it has to be 6,000 to 7,000lbs..it has the hardest time pulling it..the more gas i give it the less power it has when pulling. i have an 99 f-150 5.4 and it pulls it no problem 80mph...i have my pedal to the floor and it would't go past 60mph..some thing wrong..it has a brand new tranny. other was slipping..does anybody know what could be wrong..when i am pulling the intake is so loud..I can't understand it goes up a hill no problem,smoke the back tires and they are 35's..feels like a train when not loaded... but as soon as i hook up a trailer it has no power.......please help still under warranty....could i have a computer problem.. i just ordered a programer to see what that does for me.....any advise is helpfull...Thanis again Chris...

01f-250v10 12-16-2006 09:22 PM

please i love this truck....i don't want to get rid of it...but i think i might have too...,

NoMo 12-16-2006 09:41 PM

I'd start by installing a new fuel filter. If that doesn't fix the problem, take it in and ask them to check the fuel pressure at the rails.

01f-250v10 12-17-2006 12:30 AM

cool.. thanks very much.. i will try that....

krewat 12-17-2006 09:45 AM

Definitely check the fuel pressure. My 2001's fuel filter was almost completely clogged by 20K miles. I noticed a BIG difference in loaded power after changing it.

Also, clean the MAF. The MAF WILL, I repeat WILL, get dirty whether or not you use a stock paper filter or not. I ran a paper filter for the first 20K miles (at least 60K miles worth of fuel and air) and my MAF was dirty enough to effect shifting and it ran much better after cleaning it.

Check those two things out first, and then REPORT BACK and we'll work with you to try to get this thing running right.

But right off the bat, I suspect fuel pressure (filter or going-bad pump) and the computer not reading the right air flow so it's running lean (MAF).

Antelope V-10 12-17-2006 10:36 AM

The 4.30 gears might not be enough for 35 inch tires.

krewat 12-17-2006 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Antelope V-10
The 4.30 gears might not be enough for 35 inch tires.

Very good point, I didn't catch that.

That tire size puts you down into the range of 3.73 gears with stock tires.

Which we all know is not enough gearing for towing with the V10 ;)

biz4two 12-17-2006 10:26 PM

IMHO...DO NOT install the programmer until you correct the issue...or at least find out what the issue is. Especially if you have a low fuel pressure issue.

As others have said, check the fuel pressure, MAF, fuel filter. Also...so many folks go with the larger tires and it kills the towing performance. If you have 35" tires...you should have 4.88 gears.

NOTE: You did not mention if you have ever done a spark plug change. I recommend changing the spark plugs and inspecting the boots. Change those if necessary. YES, we think 100,000 miles, but also at issue here is age.

Good luck...

biz
8D

MadMedic20 12-18-2006 12:22 AM

I just recently towed a 7x14 enclosed trailer trailer from California to Colorado. The trailers about 3200 lbs empty, it is completly full and so is the bed of my truck. I didnt weigh anywhere but im guessing about 13,000 total weight of the truck and cargo. I started the trip on my 35s. Pulled horrible. I stopped in St. George Utah and had my stock wheels and tires swapped back on. Totally different animal. Pulled like a champ. Pulled the big grades in the Rockies in third sometimes second at 55-60mph.

My truck also has 4.30s and I thought the same way you did. It has plenty of power around town. It will smoke the tires. But those tall tires really knock you out of the V10s power band.

01f-250v10 12-18-2006 12:49 AM

changing fuel filter tomorrow as far as pressure have to wait until i go to the service center......also when i was pulling the trailer is was pinging very bad past 3,800rpm's..i even put 91 after that and still pinging.......i know what you are saying about the tire size but it didn't feel that way it felt like the ebrake was on or something of that sort......

01f-250v10 12-19-2006 07:55 PM

changed the filter... i have to say you guys are smart....feels much smoother now...revs all the way to 5,000rpm's than shifts perfect....before it would take for ever to rev out and shift hard now it's so smooth...thanks again....Chris

NoMo 12-19-2006 09:56 PM

Let us know if that fixes your towing problem.

Also, has the pinging stopped?

01f-250v10 12-20-2006 01:33 PM

yes the pinging stopped..and i was thinking it was bad gas.....i can't beleive how much different it shifts now......the ford dealer put a new trans in my truck because it wasn't shifting right...new trans same ****...new fuel filter shifts like crazy now....i can't stop driving it now i am looking for every reason to go to the store ect. just to be in it......thanks again guys...as far as pulling i will do that soon but there is a huge pass where i live called cojon pass and it pulled it in OD at 70mph no problem...before it would be OD off and on the gas to keep 60mph.....POWAFUL..i tell you what i no longer want a powerstroke........

krewat 12-20-2006 03:01 PM

This is great news!

Because the engine and tranny are now controlled by the same computer, any little problem anywhere in the system, and the tranny will certainly act funny.

When I cleaned the MAF (the sensor that measures how much air is going into the motor) in my '01, it shifted WAY better than it had been doing. It had gotten me worried that the tranny was going, the way it would slip and/or jerk.

Also, fill in your location, and other info, if you please. We'd like to know you ;) WELCOME to FTE!!! ;)

FirstTimeFordGuy 12-20-2006 03:45 PM

This is great news!! I`m going to install a new fuel filter on mine and clean the MAS. I haven`t really driven the truck much except 2 weekends ago I pulled a 7X18 enclosed trailer. Got 8 mpg and not much power in O.D. (3:73 gear but still 265 tires). Total weight of the trailer was about 4000#`s but it was very windy. I have noticed that my truck simply does not like to shift when the gas petal is stepped on hard, seems real slow at buildin rpm`s after about 3200 rpm. Droppin the truck off tonight at a local muffler shop to get a real Y pipe fabbed in........