Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   Recommend new rotor for front?? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/554984-recommend-new-rotor-for-front.html)

YOMAN 12-06-2006 05:44 PM

Recommend new rotor for front??

I had a bit problem with my local dealer related my truck 04 FX4 Screw from rotors that i felt a bit light pulse when brakes..they said its fine..ARGH! I showed them the TSB and they said not enuff cover for that!!

I decided to screw them and time for me to get new front rotors and pads.

Any recommend?? I have been search and it seems that Hawk Pads is pretty common customers happy with it.

rotors?? EBC ? powerslot ? i rather reasonable price on rotors... i do not towing that much, maybe once a month or nope.

Thank you!
YOMAN!

DWEELER 12-08-2006 11:04 PM

YOMAN,

So your dealer is telling you they can't "verify" the pulsing brake pedal? That suck's! You're right, there is definitely a TSB that covers warped front brake rotors. My '04 Lariat screw is on its third set of front rotors and it's second set of calipers. My dealer replaced them with no questions, but my truck is still under warranty.

I'd like to know just whats causing them to warp. Maybe they're not big enough for the weight of the truck or a bad alloy or something. The last two sets were supposidly "updated" versions, but they didn't last any longer than the originals. I had about 21000 miles on it when the last ones were replaced, so I'm only averaging 7000 miles on a set of rotors.

So far, this last set they put on, in addtion to the new calipers, are holding up. But I only have 5000 miles on them. We'll see.

Sorry that was so long winded, but I didn't want you to feel alone with brake problems!

wildcard30 12-09-2006 06:47 AM

A friend has Powerslot on his F-150 and likes 'em. He says, with the combination of upgraded rotors and pads (the pads are EBC) the braking performance is much improved.

Have you tried another dealer? Or called Customer Care? Just curious.

YOMAN 12-09-2006 08:29 AM

YUP! that suck :) !

My truck has 32,200 on it...and i decided to upgrade with fancy rotors/pads so i will expect it ll be a lot better quailty, good braking and less headache with dealership.

I think i m toward with R1concept rotors with EBC greenstuff pads or Hawk HPS.

As of this time, I cant spend $300-400 due to x-mas is coming so i ll have to wait till 2007 :(

Its alrite to driving around i ll deal with it.

Thanks!
YOMAN!

RVDave 12-09-2006 09:20 AM

I have an '04 Lariat with about 34,000 miles. A big part of those miles is pulling an 8,000# travel trailer. My brakes and rotor, at this time, look great.

RVDave 12-09-2006 09:22 AM

That's suppose to be 38,000 miles not 34,000.

Chris1450 12-09-2006 10:07 AM

how many of you with warped rotors keep your left foot resting on the brake peddle? Just something to think about

RVDave 12-09-2006 11:20 AM

Chris1450: Very good point. My brother-in-law (a driver's ed teacher!) used to complain all the time about the short life of his brakes. While riding with him one day I noticed he used his left foot on the brake. I quizzed him on it and he said he always has and TAUGHT his students to do that. I told him this was wrong but got no where that day. A long story short, his brakes last longer today and he doesn't use that left foot any longer. The big changing factor was, after following him one day, I told him that his brake lights were on almost all of the time. Guess where he kept his left foot while driving. I had the same problem early on after being used to a clutch, just had to do something with that left foot. In fact, I failed my first driver's test because of that left foot on the brake (and a cranky inspector). I don't see it as much any more but it was very common to see people driving down the interstate with the brake lights flashing. Mostly old fogies like me.