Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997 - 2003 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum25/)
-   -   Opinions on additives, such as seafoam, etc (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/554223-opinions-on-additives-such-as-seafoam-etc.html)

metal13x 12-04-2006 03:15 PM

Opinions on additives, such as seafoam, etc

I was just wondering what additives are good and what are bad. Personally, the only additive I ever use is Seafoam, it seems to fix everything! I've been told that it is good to use a fuel injector cleaner additive (or fuel system cleaner) every 6 months or so. My dad and I use seafoam in our older vehicles and have had good results, but is seafoam sufficient enough as a fuel injector/system cleaner for a newer vehicle such as my 97 f150? Any thoughts/opinions?

ATC Crazy 12-04-2006 03:36 PM

I ran it through my '97 in the summer...probably the first time the truck has seen anything like it...and I could tell a difference in throttle response. That stuff is amazing!

xtrford 12-04-2006 04:59 PM

I think it works excellent for the fuel system and intake cleaner, I also used it in the crank case for an engine flush, pretty drastic results, don't think I will do it again though. I also used Auto-rx with great results, it is a slow and safe cleaner for your internals. You could probably achieve the same results using redline oils, expensive stuff though.

steve(ill) 12-04-2006 05:21 PM

in Illinois most of the gas is 10% alcohol. Been using that for about 10 years. does a good job of eliminating the need for injector cleaner, waster buildup, etc. Thats waht the alcohol does.

amerimutt 12-04-2006 05:27 PM

I have seen this post b4 Hey do you work for seafoam?

If you do than I guess I can say seafoam works for my 97 too. It never seen anything like that b4, But I can say throttle response was evident. But however I did get a p0174 code soon after, I don't know if seafoam was directly related or it did exposed a weakness in the intake gasket. I retighten the bolts, code gone and still running better than b4 the use of seafoam it's been about 15k miles ago.

Originally Posted by metal13x
I was just wondering what additives are good and what are bad. Personally, the only additive I ever use is Seafoam, it seems to fix everything! I've been told that it is good to use a fuel injector cleaner additive (or fuel system cleaner) every 6 months or so. My dad and I use seafoam in our older vehicles and have had good results, but is seafoam sufficient enough as a fuel injector/system cleaner for a newer vehicle such as my 97 f150? Any thoughts/opinions?

metal13x 12-04-2006 07:32 PM

haha, actually, no i dont work for them, i was just wondering what other car/truck owner's experiences have been with the product.

mikieday 12-06-2006 08:07 PM

i love seafoam...works on tractors/lawn mowers/and trucks....

mikie

zman764 12-06-2006 10:58 PM

I have never heard of seafoam before. How does it work what does it do is it safe? If I run 87 in my 203k mile 4.6 i get a pinging but its not there with 93 I have been told I ping b/c of carbon. Would seafoam clean taht up? I am terrified at the thoguht of having something other than gas in my engine though

mikieday 12-07-2006 07:56 AM

i get my seafoam from napa