Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   cab weight? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/55313-cab-weight.html)

jwcnj45 02-15-2002 05:20 PM

cab weight?

a_larson16 03-14-2002 04:45 PM

cab weight?

I am to the point where the cab must come off and wanted to know how heavy it is. Unfortunately I did not park the truck near a tree so I will have to jack it up from underneath or is it light enough to pick up with a couple of people?

Andy

jniolon 03-14-2002 04:51 PM

cab weight?

if the cab is empty...no seats, junk, even doors... 4 guys can handle it with no problem...

I removed mine with an engine hoist and a nylon sling 3 times so far !!! and at least on more to go

john

ranger pat 03-15-2002 07:08 AM

cab weight?

Definitely the easiest is to get 3 other guys. I tried it with a hoist and straps, but it was to0 unstable to roll the hoist with the cab hanging and I could not roll the chassis out from under the cab with the hoist legs under the frame. You have the doors off and the steering column removed? I built a 4x5 platform on rollers to set the cab on and move it around.

slick 03-16-2002 10:14 AM

cab weight?

I'm with jniolon on this.I can never find three guys when i remove mine.I've had mine on and off 4 or 5 times ,used engine hoist through the door glass opening with nylon strap around the roof and a strap from hoist to firewall to balance it.

BlueOvalRage 03-16-2002 02:34 PM

cab weight?

I think I used the rafters in the shop with a chain hoist to get mine off. Here's an idea, though, to maybe save you from having to put it on and off the chassis so often to check fit and clearances - My old cab was junk, junk, junk, but it had a good firewall, cowl, dash, and front floor section. After I had located and bought a sweet new cab and was comfortable disposing of the old one, I used a smoke wrench to cut the roof posts off at the cowl and cut across the floor at the front of the door where the floor transitions from flat to the angle up to the firewall. Since 4 of the 6 mounting points are in this section, it is easy to sit on the frame and bolt down all by myself, check my clearances or whatever, and then set back off again. This came in really handy when I located the powertrain, hung my steering column, and put in the new firewall mounted booster and pedals. I even used it to test fit my wiper system and new guages. I even drove it around the block with everything in place on this firewall/dash mockup to make sure it drove OK. Of course, this only works if you've got a spare cab that you don't mind cutting up, but I know that most of us end up buying at least one parts truck, so I bet that quite a few of you do. I saved it and will use it again for the new project. Easy to handle, correct location and fit, and guilt free if you cut it and something doesn't fit right! Think about it.:-X22

a_larson16 03-16-2002 05:36 PM

cab weight?

Ok.....I was successful getting the cab up today! I used the engine hoist idea and it worked like a charm. I did do some things different though......instead of positioning the hoist under the chassis, I put railrod ties across the frame where the bed used to be and put the hoist on top of them. I used the strap idea and that worked great. I only needed to hoist the cab high enough to get underneath it to replace the mounts, paint the chassis, pull the gas tank, and do some wiring. I cleaned everything with a steam cleaner and they were right about desert trucks.......there is no rust! Thanks for the advice and I'll probably be back with another question real soon.

Andy