Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other; Brakes, Electrical, Hitches, Weight Distribution & CDL Discussion (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum290/)
-   -   Towing Package? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/553018-towing-package.html)

MicahInNY 11-30-2006 10:27 PM

Towing Package?

OK, I will fully admit this is the mother of all noob questions. I don't have access to the search function yet, but I did read back through many pages of the forum to make sure this hasn't been covered a zillion times already. Enough lead-in; my question is what all is included in a towing package and how can I be sure it is there?

Back story; I need a major hauling truck to support my wife's newly budding horse business (what we do for the ones we love, right?) and I have been shopping round. I checked out one of these Auction dealerships who pride themselves at getting whatever from wherever for stupid-cheap. I laid out what I wanted in a truck and I specifically asked for a Towing Package. The sales guy clicked away on his computer for a while and came up with a match. What made me suspicious was when he said that the description of the truck did not say that it came with a towing package, but he could tell from the pictures that it did. This seemed odd to me. I’m guessing that what he saw was a hitch, but that’s not all that makes up a towing package, right? I mean, you can slap a hitch onto anything but that does not mean it has a tow package. Right?

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o:p></o:p>

So, what should I look for to make sure that a truck really does have a tow package? There is a very nice 2000 F-350 7.3L at a local dealer (I’m done with those auction guys) and I would just like to make sure I’m looking for the right things and being a smart buyer. Thanks for any advice at all on the subject.

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]-->Micah <!--[endif]--><o:p></o:p>

Rick2001 12-01-2006 12:23 AM

You are correct! Just becaue there is a hitch does not mean there is a complete tow package. I would not buy anything that has an aftermarket hitch for one. other clues would be the wiring plug. It should not be any aftermarket brand. The truck would have an extra tranny cooler if it is an Auto. Tow package usually means lower gears too.

If you have a way to get the VIN number off of the truck you are looking to buy. Then take that to a dealer. They can put it into the computer and it will tell them everything that truck had on it the day it was built.

good luck in your search!

jowilker 12-01-2006 07:25 AM

Micah, A towing package is a add on package to a basic truck to assist the owner with the things normally associated with towing.

Higher amp alt. for running more lights, tranny cooling, lower rear gears, extra wiring. They are all add on features, like a receiver hitch. Every one that I have ever seen is bolted on and not intergrated into the chassis rails from the factory.

A 2000 F-350 7.3L is a towing package. IMHO

FWIW, When I started driving there were no brakes on trailers, and most didn't have any lights either, and on top of that were stopped with 4 wheel non power drum brakes.

John :-X06

MicahInNY 12-01-2006 08:00 AM

Cool guys, thanks for the info. I'll see if I can get the VIN #

Micah

YJ Ken 12-01-2006 12:46 PM

A couple of the electrical items are a either a 7 pin or 4 pin wiring harness in the rear and a plug under the dash to hook up a brake controller. The fuses for the brake controller may or may not be added under the hood.