Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.4L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum169/)
-   -   First posting..... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/551292-first-posting.html)

NashvilleBound 11-26-2006 06:32 PM

First posting.....

Hey everyone. I never realised how much info was available on these forums. I read the first post (sticky) and surfed the rest for info on the 08 F350, 6.4 info. I cant seem to search tho..... so I wanted to ask a few questions.

This fuel issue.... looks like it will be phased in....think there will be a cost difference?

Pricing on the 08's? Options? Looking for a 08 F350 CC 4X4 fully loaded King Ranch with navigation...is the 8 speaker with sub I read about available from Ford too?

I heard Jan we should start seeing trucks...one post said Feb....any updates?

Can I order one and pick it up at the plant in KY? Now that I live in Middle TN I would be just a few hours away and save the destination charges....

Appreciate any info.....look forward to keeping up with the new trucks with these forums.

NB :D

DFord79 11-26-2006 06:56 PM

I just received some information from Ford in the mail about the 08 super duties. But the same info is on the web site. As to cost for the new trucks. I talked with my local dealer last week. He said I could order an 08 but HE didnt have pricing yet?????? I talked to the owner. I went to HIGH School with HIM....LONG time aquaintances. He told me in HIS opinion the new diesels are extremely complicated. But Ford addressed some past issues and thinks there will be some teathing problems tho. Things are going to be exspensive. The new diesel is being phased in and that started on Oct 15 this year. All diesel has to be the 15 ppm fuel buy the first of the year and look for it to be more money. Maybe 50 to 70 cents more than regular gas. Diesel here in Washington already is 40 to 50 cents more than gas. For what you decribed above the sticker will be near 55 grand if you get all the bells and whisels. There is an 07 dualy in the lot yesterday and the price was 53,200. It was king ranch but of course its an 6.0 and no DVD or upgrades the 08s will have. Have deep pockets to buy one...and deep pockets to maintain one. I love Fords...but am scard to death for the first time when I think of buying new. I have bought many new fords over the years. I bought new trucks for company use. I know trucks..lol..but damn I don't like what I see with the complications ahead.

DFord79 11-26-2006 06:59 PM

O...when? I forgot that. He told me they should be on the lots buy March. The 08's with the 6.4.

NashvilleBound 11-26-2006 07:54 PM

Thanks for the info!!! Like you I have had many trucks....probably 10 new ones in almost as many years. I have waited and extra year or so now for this new setup but for the first time I am considering the V10. If I keep it for a year or so and things go well with the new diesel then i could always switch back. I doubt the V10 will have as much demand. Its almost rated at the same specs...lagging a bit in the torgue. Plenty of power to yank my Magic boat to the water 3-4 days a week in my limited summer here in TN. I'll keep researching and make a decision probably right after Christmas.....

DFord79 11-26-2006 07:59 PM

The V-10's will surprise you with thier power. My son drives one in a f-550 with a dump on it. HE has had it wayy overloaded. HE says HE never needs more. It pulls hard and is pretty much trouble free. Talk to the mechanics at a dealership..most love the V-10. It will run forever with little trouble. I want the diesel....bad...but I I don't think I can afford to own one. I can buy it...but can I keep it for 250,000 miles or more. A well maintained v-10 will last that long. I saw one with 324,000 on it. The guy said it never had a problem. He told me he replaced the water pump twice and two fuel injectors....that was it.

NashvilleBound 11-26-2006 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by DFord79
The V-10's will surprise you with thier power. My son drives one in a f-550 with a dump on it. HE has had it wayy overloaded. HE says HE never needs more. It pulls hard and is pretty much trouble free. Talk to the mechanics at a dealership..most love the V-10. It will run forever with little trouble. I want the diesel....bad...but I I don't think I can afford to own one. I can buy it...but can I keep it for 250,000 miles or more. A well maintained v-10 will last that long. I saw one with 324,000 on it. The guy said it never had a problem. He told me he replaced the water pump twice and two fuel injectors....that was it.

I hear ya. I would like the F450 but I transport family and such more then tow at this time, so dont want an uncomfortable ride. I usually take off the helper spring in the rear of the F350 and install airbags.
Only thing I really want to do is upgrade the brakes. It sounds like the V10 is a good setup. I really wanted the diesel too, cost not an issue...the DRAMA IS! I dont want to have to deal with repairs or anything....I want it to be drama free. Maybe the V10 will be available sooner...who knows;)
I think Ill swing into the dealership this week and make a friend.

NashvilleBound 11-28-2006 06:31 AM

Looks like the new Diesel will be almost a $6000 upcharge. That and diesel around $0.45 a gallon more......Im asking myself why in the world would I go diesel?!?!!? So I guess it looks like a V10 or a new Denali......
Im going to hit the local dealership and see what color combos are available for 08 on the King Ranch and Harley Davidson models. $60k for a pickup truck.......amazing.

2005 Ford 11-28-2006 08:25 AM

Heres a quick thought for what its worth. The current 6.0 charge is around 5300 bucks right. If the new 6.4 charge is is around 6000 then it only went up 700 bucks. For the power difference, I woud stick with the diesel and just go with the regular Lariat. And for the record, the 6.0 spanks the V10 hands down in every aspect. I get better MPG towing 12000lbs with my 6.0 then I get driving unloaded with my V10, and I dont have to keep my diesel planted to the ground to make any headway while towing. While my V10 is not the new 3 valve, I still believe that the 6.0 and eventually the 6.4 will do much better then any gasser could. Juat my opinion though.

DFord79 11-28-2006 10:12 AM

According to my local dealer the 6.4 is going to be close to $7,000 option but HE is only speculating.

As far as power I am not saying the V-10 will pull with the diesel, it won't. But I am saying that it will do the job. The new three valve V-10 is a big jump in power. I was pleased when I drove one. I talk to many RVers in my business. I always ask about fuel mileage. I know that you can't rely on every statement ( I have heard of ONE TON dualy Dodges getting 25 mpg.empty and 21 mpg pulling a 15,000 trailer..damn...people will tell you anything) when you ask someone about their fuel mileage. But after many inquirys my overall evaluation is that you grain about 2 mpg with the 6.0 over the V-10. Regardless of what you towing. And the price of diesel is...and is going to be 60 cents OR MORE a gallon than GAS. Ford says the new 6.4 will get better fuel milage than the 6.0. But they are not saying how much better. YET I just read an article that stated the new emission components on the diesels along with the .15 sulfur content of the fuel will cut fuel milegage about 2% to 3%. The only way we are going to know is drive one.

Another thing I hear on this site and others is...in 2010 the new engines will have to be redesigned. Thats not true. The changes in 2010 will apply to off road diesels mostly and things like ferries and locamotives. They will have to start using the .15 fuel in 2010. They have to use the .500 fuel till then. I see nothing that says the new 07 standards will change for light duty engines in 2010. This web site covers all the rules. http://www.api.org/ now an in 2010.

Don't get me wrong I love the diesels and thier power. I just said the V-10 will do anything you need to do and you will NOT be the slowest one up the hill. Matter of fact from what I hear from people is they can maintain speed limits up any freeway with any load??? And....It won't break you up in maintenance. But....I want a diesel....CAN I afford one in the long run????? I have decided to wait two years to buy a new truck. We are retireing and by that time WE should be able to get a read on what kind of reliability or quirks it has. I hope its a great engine. I want one....truly I do....Can I afford the 6.4??????????? They have a 100,000 warrenty too...but????

kw5413 11-28-2006 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by DFord79
According to my local dealer the 6.4 is going to be close to $7,000 option but HE is only speculating.

As is everyone else.

NashvilleBound 11-28-2006 05:20 PM

I would imagine there are aftermarket parts for the V-10 to give it a decent boost. I did drive a Denali today.... 380hp. I was pleasantly surprised....its been so long since I have ridden in a nice SUV like that... quiet, powerfull.... its making my decision very difficult. I am a Ford guy from day one. :D :D

Electro 11-29-2006 03:04 AM

I have a '02 v10 and it runs good.. gas mileage sucks hard.. its in a work van.. If I was buying in '08, I would wait until july or august to see what kind of engine the 6.4 is going to be.. then make the choice.

BTW- the Denali is awesome.. my neighbor just bought one and WOW! That thing rumbles! nice ride.

elemint 11-30-2006 04:50 AM

55 grand for a pick up???! That is rediculous. You all do know that the profit margin for loaded trucks and suv's is the greatest? To me this means they are overpriced these days...

magilla 11-30-2006 12:21 PM

Supply and demand, If they could sell it for 100,000 they would. once the market hits its limit, prices will adjust.

dunbar15 11-30-2006 03:09 PM

xlt or king ranch or lariat

Originally Posted by elemint
55 grand for a pick up???! That is rediculous. You all do know that the profit margin for loaded trucks and suv's is the greatest? To me this means they are overpriced these days...

Thats why I drive a XLT, I love the look of the king ranch and harley but I dont think you get that much bang for your buck, I saw a F150 nascar model and it was like 40G's , thats rediculous, another 10 for different wheels and a different hood / grille .. I would consider a lariat .. You can get a xlt cc 6.0 for around 38K..