Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum168/)
-   -   Canola Oil for Biodiesel...Better?? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/549842-canola-oil-for-biodiesel-better.html)

Wheatina 11-22-2006 11:52 AM

Canola Oil for Biodiesel...Better??

We're farmers in Eastern Washington state and are growing a lot of canola for crushing plants nearby next year. I've read that biodiesel made from canola oil is a superior quality to that made from other oils. Any comments?

I'd like to send a big "HOWDY NEIGHBOR" :-wink to fabmandelux...we're not too far away from you up here. :-D Good luck with your Merger plans!!!

http://logo.cafepress.com/nocache/3/2065193.jpg

Phydeaux88 11-22-2006 01:42 PM

This is a question for the Fabulous Fabman

superpony18 11-22-2006 07:56 PM

I just read a book someone gave me from the UK. It states that conola/rapeseed oil is the best to use.

Wheatina 11-22-2006 08:58 PM

Yes SuperPony...that's just what I've read too!! If you haven't seen a canola field before, it is a stunning treat!!! Vibrant, glowing, neon yellow, like the one shown in my bumper sticker image above. They are glorious fields, smelling sweet and fresh. Not like a stinky old crude oil field. We also try to get bee keepers to bring their bees on our fields. Then they are humming with bees and all kinds of life.

I have to confess, as a farmer, I feel very satified knowing that our canola will be part of the energy solution for this country and the world, instead of a source of the problem. Our tractors, combines, swathers, semis, etc., can all run on biodiesel. I'm looking forward to not being dependent on petroleum for producing not only food, but energy as well. It will be tough getting there at first, but I'm optimistic.

Wheatina

fabmandelux 11-22-2006 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Wheaties
We're farmers in Eastern Washington state and are growing a lot of canola for crushing plants nearby next year. I've read that biodiesel made from canola oil is a superior quality to that made from other oils. Any comments?

I'd like to send a big "HOWDY NEIGHBOR" :-wink to fabmandelux...we're not too far away from you up here. :-D Good luck with your Merger plans!!!

http://logo.cafepress.com/nocache/3/2065193.jpg:-D

Well "HOWDY NEIGHBOR" right back at ya! :-D Welcome to FTE :-X25 Questions! Questions! Where are you located? Are you planning to make the fuel for your farm, or just by it back from a biodiesel plant?

Canola is far superior to Soy! Much better yields, a lower gel point, and it thrives in Eastern Oregon, and Washington. When I went to the University of Idaho this summer they showed me some test plots that were producing in excess of 50 percent oil! AND the seed pods where much more resistant to "shatter" They just received a $5,000,000 grant to do more research on even better yielding Canola, and Mustard.

We planted 50 acres of test plots this fall, and they sure look good!
We're taking back another 1,600 acres this next fall that has been leased out. Hopefully the test plots do well, and we'll plant that to canola also.

Have you met Kent Madison from Echo, Oregon [just down the road from me]?
He is not only crushing canola for Sequential Biofuels, but is making 100,000 gallons per year for his own farm. This will be the wave of the future...........small to mid sized community based biodiesel plants that can utilize the local crops to make fuel for local consumption. LESS FOREIGN OIL!!!!

FABMANDELUX. :-X25 :-fire

Wheatina 11-22-2006 10:43 PM

Hey FabMan! Our canola is north of Connell on two circles, so around 300+ acres of irrigated. We're trying out 3 RoundUp ready varieties. It looks great going into winter. The drylanders up here have varied success with yields depending on conditions. Without perfect fall planting conditions it can be risky on dryland. We've grown it a few times in the past under irrigation and had pretty good success. This will be our first time with RoundUp ready varieties.

If it were up to me, I'd be crushing and making our own BD, but it's not up to me...:-D Anyway, basically we'll leave the processing to others and buy it back.

I don't personally know all the active biodiesel pioneers in the northwest, but have heard of Sequential in Oregon. I'm sure I read an article about Kent this past summer in either the Capital Press or other farming publication. Sure sounds like the right thing to do to me. Seattle Biodiesel, and others, has been over here on the east side actively pursuing growers and communities for BD development. I say, "BRING IT ON!!" There's a plant going in at Warden for sure and many other's rumored.

Keep me updated on your canola trials as they get into next spring. Are they dryland or irrigated? I'll let you know how ours do, too.

Wheat

fabmandelux 11-22-2006 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Wheaties
Hey FabMan! Our canola is north of Connell on two circles, so around 300+ acres of irrigated. We're trying out 3 Roundup ready varieties. It looks great going into winter. The drylanders up here have varied success with yields depending on conditions. Without perfect fall planting conditions it can be risky on dryland. We've grown it a few times in the past under irrigation and had pretty good success. This will be our first time with Roundup ready varieties.

If it were up to me, I'd be crushing and making our own BD, but it's not up to me...:-D Anyway, basically we'll leave the processing to others and buy it back.

I don't personally know all the active biodiesel pioneers in the northwest, but have heard of Sequential in Oregon. I'm sure I read an article about Kent this past summer in either the Capital Press or other farming publication. Sure sounds like the right thing to do to me. Seattle Biodiesel, and others, has been over here on the east side actively pursuing growers and communities for BD development. I say, "BRING IT ON!!" There's a plant going in at Warden for sure and many other's rumored.

Keep me updated on your canola trials as they get into next spring. Are they dryland or irrigated? I'll let you know how ours do, too.

Wheat

I'm really surprised you went with "Roundup ready" canola, with all the problems the Canadians have had with it. You need to talk with Ted Durfey in Sunnyside. I'm working with him on building his plant. He's already built the crushing plant, and has found some very interesting info in his field trials. He found that his yield INCREASED by 2,000 lbs/acre by not irrigating in the spring at all. He pre-irrigates in the fall, then nothing more in the spring. It seems that the canola plant is stressed by not watering in the spring, and that "stressing" makes it produce more seeds! This is further confirmed from the University of Idaho's field trials. His plan is to not use his water allotment in the spring, but pre-irrigate after canola harvest, then plant corn for another money crop after the canola.

We should talk.............If you use less than 30,000 gallons of diesel fuel per year you should be able to make your own fuel for about $.50 per gallon!

If your like us, you can make your own processer out of the "treasures" in your own "bone-yard" and be off-grid as far as fuel goes...................

Wheatina 11-23-2006 08:49 AM

Fab Man...We should probably take this off the board...I doubt people are very interested in reading about our junk backforties and canola varieties...:-missingtI'll send you a private message...

Happy Thankgiving to All!!!

Corner Gas 11-23-2006 09:51 AM

If you want to see Canola fields come to Northern Saskatchewan, just about every other quater is Canola. It is quite a view when everything is in bloom. As for Roundup Ready Canola it has its place. The farmers I know like to use it when the weed pressure is high and they want to clean up the field, which the Roundup does really well and the chemical is cheap. The thing most farmers don't like about it is having to buy seed every year. Most the farmers I know like to clean their own seed and buy new stock when needed. I have grown the modified canola with alot of sucsess and in the long run it is has a better bottom line for me.

kennedyford 11-23-2006 10:00 PM

Dont take this off the board. I soak up all of the info that is posted and regularly bother that ol fart Don at his house or at the shop.

Wheatina 11-27-2006 05:20 PM

Don...

Here's my email address: wheatina@hotmail.com

Thanks!!!

jeep1947 11-27-2006 08:38 PM

Wheatina, dont u dare take this off the board we all like to pick each others brain and share ideas. If it werent for the board and lots of talking with Fabman I would not be making my own bio. So keep up the flow of info we all benefit. Jeep1947

fabmandelux 11-28-2006 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by jeep1947
Wheatina, dont u dare take this off the board we all like to pick each others brain and share ideas. If it werent for the board and lots of talking with Fabman I would not be making my own bio. So keep up the flow of info we all benefit. Jeep1947

Geeze Jeep, off your med's today? :-missingt

Tom D 11-28-2006 04:07 PM

Wheatina, if you take it off the board, people like me who are trying to learn as much as possible from Fabman and other people like you will suffer from lack of necessary knowledge. I, enjoy reading this, especially knowing some day we will not be dependant on foreign oil anymore. Thanks

Wheatina 11-28-2006 07:45 PM

Ok...ok....ok!! Sorry!! I didn't know everyone would be interested in canola varieties or our junk yards....:-X14 Fab and I really haven't gotten back into talking about canola and our activities growing it, but we'll talk about it on here when we do.

I can see, now that I think about it, that people interested in biodiesel WOULD be interested in how those of us with the land and means to grow the oil seeds are bringing the oil to you!! IT IS YOUR CONCERN TOO!!! And, I'm very pleased to see that you all are interested. It is important...no...it's critical that people understand how important all this is to our nation's future.

Fab and I will keep you in on the discussion!!:-D