Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Modular V10 (6.8l) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum49/)
-   -   ABS Brake Light (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/546481-abs-brake-light.html)

450 RV 11-12-2006 09:22 PM

ABS Brake Light

My 99 E450 Motorhome ABS light came on this morning for the first time. I had been in the Sand Dunes in Southern Cal. and sat for three days and then when I started up to come home I noticed the light came on and stayed on. What is the culprit that makes it do that. Braking seems fine. I would appreciate any wisdom that anyone might have on the subject

V10'nr 11-13-2006 09:26 AM

Probably sand blocking the sensor. Try a good power washing the sensor ares and see if that does it.

450 RV 11-13-2006 11:00 AM

Thanks for the reply. I did get stuck in the soft sand and buried myself pretty good. I will do as you suggest as it needs it any way:)

Thanks again for your reply.

krewat 11-13-2006 03:37 PM

Yup, make sure those sensors are clear of crud. The 4x4 SD's have a unitized wheel bearing with the sensor and tone-ring inside the bearing, so there's no chance of external dirt screwing you up.

But on the E's, you definitely have an exposed sensor, I believe.

But being stuck like that? I'd check the wiring too while you're under there.

450 RV 11-13-2006 04:49 PM

I check things over real good and spoke to a local Ford Dealer Service Advisor and she said it was probably the ABS Sensor that screws in the top of the Diff Pumpkin on my year model. So I blew $30.00 and bought the sensor and changed it out, but no luck. In the process replacing it I now have the the Red brake light staying on all the time now along with the ABS light. I am confused at this point so it is back to the drawing board. The wiring harness that attaches to the senor is on top and the harness looked in good shape. So I am a loss where to proceed next. Thank you all for you input

biz4two 11-13-2006 10:04 PM

Need to get the codes read. Stop at an AutoZone type auto retail store and they will read the codes for free. Post back the results...

biz
8D

sglynx1 11-14-2006 12:03 AM

Autozone, Napa, Advantage... none of those stores read ABS codes... only "Check Engine Soon" codes.... :-lamesign

450 RV 11-14-2006 07:50 AM

Bummer Guys, I was hoping that I would not have to take it to a Dealer. I have drive 75 miles one way to find one and hopefully they will know what they are doing. Usually I repair my own stuff, but this electronic stuff is a pain in the you know where!

Thank you for all your help and wisdom. This too shall pass! Painfully no doubt!

projectSHO89 11-14-2006 08:03 AM

Do you have 4-wheel ABS or Rear-only?

Steve

450 RV 11-14-2006 08:16 AM

Steve, It sensors on both front wheels and on the rear pumpkin. One dealer close to me said she thought it was the rear sensor that is located on top of the Rear Diff as that seems to be the one they have most trouble with. So I went and picked one up and put in. Didn't change a thing. What is strange is when I pulled the old one out reinstalled after cleaning it I then got the other brake red light on the dash along with the ABS light. I checked conunity of the wire pig tail that is easily removed and it checked out out showing no breaks in it, etc. All I did was drive up on some blocks and set the E Brake and pulled the sensor. Strange.

I haven't pulled the front sensors yet. After some more research here I may pull them and see what I find today. This RV only has 36,000 miles on it and I am not a heavy brake user. Any wisdom any one can give is deeply appreciated.

Thanks

krewat 11-14-2006 10:05 AM

Did you check the front sensors for dirt or other road grime YET?!?!?!?

450 RV 11-14-2006 12:06 PM

I did try to wash them out, but I am going to pull the wheels this morning and see what I see in there. Thanks for reminding me again. Externally I see no broken wires, etc. When I do get to the source of the problem I will tell you all. I was told again the rear sensor is the most common one on this year model. But, as I said I replaced it with no change in my problem.

450 RV 11-17-2006 09:33 PM

Well after exhausting what knowledge I had on the ABS system I was able to talk to a local small Ford dealer Service Mgr to test my 450 with their computer. The service manager said their dealership was too small to support a motor home, but for 75 dollars would run a check. Turns out it was the left front wheel ABS sensor. I have a shop bigger than theirs and I brought it home and went to work removing the front wheel and hub to get to the sensor bolted on the splash shield inside the hub area. Put in the new sensor and fired up the old V10 and the lights are out! Yahoo. Cost me two hundred dollars to get them out with me doing the labor. Can you imagine what the cost would have been if left at one of our Stealer Dealers? Don't even want to think about it.

I carefully opened the wire loom on the sensor and found a hidden broken wire inside it. The break was in the area where the loom gets a lot of flexing. Over time I guess it just fatigued. But, this truck only has 36,000 miles. Who would have suspected this at such low mileage?

Thanks guys and gals for all yor help on the subject.

krewat 11-18-2006 02:02 PM

I'm glad it worked out for ya!

Now what you have to do is get a scanner that can read the ABS and never have to go back to that dealer again ;)

I bet that broken wire was a defect. Or, the insulation got stiff from age and didn't flex as much as it should have and overworked that one spot in the wire.

Good luck with it, and be sure to come back and peruse the V10 forum (or the SD forum too!) and if you see anyone with the same problem, share your experience in the matter. It's the only way this place works...

Thanks!

450 RV 11-18-2006 08:57 PM

Thank you, it is great to have web sites like this to go where we all learn together about problems and how to care for for our equimpment in general. As to buying the computer I don't think so right now as Ford is the only place you can get that particular scanner and program. The Tech told me the set up cost 4000 bucks to the dealer, but it was worth the 75 bucks just be able to get to the source of the problem. I was very fortunate that the Shop Foreman was kind enough to test it for me and let me do the work in my shop. I figure I saved myself at least 250 dollars as it was mostly labor intensive having to pull the front tire, hub and brake caliper to get to the sensor. I am sure in the shop it would have been 400-500 dollars to do the job.