Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Flathead multi carb linkage (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/543098-flathead-multi-carb-linkage.html)

464Saloon 11-03-2006 01:18 PM

Flathead multi carb linkage

Hi,

Just joined here. Have a Weiand 2x2 mainfold that I have had for years and am finally getting around to putting on my 51 F-1. Does anyone make any linkages to work with this set up?

Thanks,

ALBUQ F-1 11-03-2006 01:29 PM

I believe both Speedway and Flathead Jack have them, others probably do too. You are probably better off getting a "universal" kit that is adjustable. Are you going to use Holley 94's or Strombergs? Staying with the generator or using an alternator? (Clearance issues)

bobbytnm 11-03-2006 01:45 PM

OK, first of all....I don't have a clue about the linkages, I think I have seen them in the Speedway catalog but thats where my knowledge stops.

Second, Welcome to the board!

Third, don't just tease us with small question about milti carb, give us some pics!!! (we love pics) Brag a little bit, tell us all about what you are working on, show us some pics, what that status of it is, pics, future plans, etc, etc, etc. Did I mention pics?

Good luck with it
Bobby

464Saloon 11-03-2006 01:55 PM

I have heard that Speedway has them, but I can't for the life of me find anything in their catalog on line. I just got a paper catalog in last night so maybe I will find it there. Flathead Jack doesn't show anything online, they want you to buy their 10.00 catalog. I either have one buried somewhere or my Dad has it because he is restoring a 50 F-1. My 55 F-100 is purdy and has won a trophy or two, but the F-1 is still waiting it's turn. About the same condition as the truck on Sanford and Son. The manifold is setup for carbs close together in the middle so no generator issues there. Carbs are actually Ford 94 but I believe they were made by Holley. Used to be really up on the Flathead and Y-Block stuff, but have got a little rusty working on my two Oldsmobiles and my Hudson the last couple of years.

4tl8ford 11-03-2006 02:46 PM

Welcome to FTE
Glad to see another Flatmotor person.
As Bobby said we like pictures (He likes them more cause he can't read.)
For a refresher on Flatheads go here:
http://www.btc-bci.com/~billben/flathead.htm

mtflat 11-03-2006 03:03 PM

Just remember you don't want progressive linkage with 2x2's or half your engine will run lean until you have your foot in it...unless the Weiand intake changed the runners from stock locations.

One problem with 94 on a reg dual intake is the rear carb's forward bolt on the bowl hits the front carb. That's why 97's were usually used. Or 94's on super dual intakes. Some guys get around it by grinding off the front bolt boss, hoping 4 bolts will seal the bowl.

Also you may have timing issues if using the stock distributor. It relies on venturi vac off the back of the carb body, not manifold vac. Not sure what might happen there. But if you don't get enough advance to run wot, look into it.

L M C truck has progressive linkage in their catalog. 3 1/2", 7" or 9" varieties.

464Saloon 11-03-2006 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by mtflat
Just remember you don't want progressive linkage with 2x2's or half your engine will run lean until you have your foot in it...unless the Weiand intake changed the runners from stock locations.

One problem with 94 on a reg dual intake is the rear carb's forward bolt on the bowl hits the front carb. That's why 97's were usually used. Or 94's on super dual intakes. Some guys get around it by grinding off the front bolt boss, hoping 4 bolts will seal the bowl.

Also you may have timing issues if using the stock distributor. It relies on venturi vac off the back of the carb body, not manifold vac. Not sure what might happen there. But if you don't get enough advance to run wot, look into it.

L M C truck has progressive linkage in their catalog. 3 1/2", 7" or 9" varieties.

Well I didn't think Progressive would be a good idea with this setup either but you list here a place with progressive linkage which by the way I clicked on and all I saw on there was late model truck stuff. Have to look into that bolt up issue, hadn't thought or got to that point yet. Could just make my own linkage, but thought for sure with the popularity of the V8 and multi carbs, there would for sure be kits out there that would be easier to go with. Seems like you see that stuff everywhere until you want it. So what is the process for posting a pic here. Each forum I am on for my different cars is different and I have a heck of a time keeping memory on which does what.

Thanks,

4tl8ford 11-03-2006 06:07 PM

Try Sac. Vintage Ford: http://www.vintage-ford.com/
In the Hotrod Section they have dual carb non-progressive linkage setups.

464Saloon 11-04-2006 09:48 AM

Thanks,

I'll check them out.

NumberDummy 11-04-2006 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by 464Saloon
Hi,

Just joined here. Have a Weiand 2x2 mainfold that I have had for years and am finally getting around to putting on my 51 F-1. Does anyone make any linkages to work with this set up?

Thanks,

"Say why and Weiand."

Check around at swap meets promoted by the Early V8 Club...and you might score the linkage at one of the older Ford Obsolete stores.