Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Nebraska Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum176/)
-   -   Thinking about a job change/move (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/540842-thinking-about-a-job-change-move.html)

cowboywanabe 10-27-2006 02:15 PM

Thinking about a job change/move

Hey guys,

It looks like I'll have a chance at a job up in the Sioux City area. The job is currently located in Nebraska, but they are most likely moving the office across town to South Dakota sometime next year. Definite tax advantages to that (no state income tax...).

I'm still waiting for the offer details in writing, but they did say they'd give me relocation package if I wanted it. Probably have to commute for a few months, we don't want to pull the kids from school in the middle of the year. The wifey ain't too keen on moving, but her job with the feds will probably allow a transfer.

After the fiasco with the car theft, and the frustration with property taxes here in the big O, I am ready to bail out. Also, my job here has been a royal 24/7 pain... too little staffing, way too much work, and OT is demanded but unpaid. I don't know what's worse, working all weekend or feeling guilty about not working all weekend!

Anybody got any good/bad news on the Sioux City area?

fellro86 10-27-2006 04:55 PM

Just watch where you choose to live, the stench downtown can get pretty bad from the packing plant, and maybe a sewer plant in that area as well... Other than that, doesn't seem to be all that bad an area. Might even consider living on the South Dakota side too, because in order to cash in on the no income tax, you need to be a resident, Live in Iowa or Nebraska, you will still have to pay income tax to your respective state. I loved it in South Dakota, but the area I was in just wasn't cutting it, and the family being 8 hours away wasn't working out to well (minor daughter that distance) legal wise, they are pretty relaxed out there. Not nearly as many dumb laws and such to put up with like I have here in Misery, or even Iowa. Title laws are wonderful! Say you find a truck you like, but they can't find a title or something like that... what you do is go in to the county couthouse or wherever you go for license and title, and it can go two ways... they check for a last registered owner. If it shows up, they supply the address given, you send a certified letter to that address. If the last registered owner replies, well, hard to say what will happen, likely no problem, but you never know... but if they don't reply in 30 days, you show the clerk the receipt of the certified letter, and you now have a clean title! The other way is if it doesn't show up on the computer, you show them a bill of sale from the person you got it from, all the info on it, and once again, clean title! Also, you don't have to register a vehicle to get the title, you go in, tell the title only, and for $10 (it went up, used to be 5) you have a title, just no plates or license. There is no back license, only the current year. Damn I miss that! :'( :-X04

67nukeford 10-28-2006 01:57 AM

Hey Rob, I'd hate to see you move out of Omaha, but hey, man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. Let us know what you decide. Don't know much about the SC, so can't help ya' there.

CBSuperduty 10-30-2006 02:01 PM

Hey Rob, I know it is hard to make these decisions but you need to do what is right for you and your family. Watch out for the stink and you will be OK. Don't forget to come visit us once in a while. Good luck.

cowboywanabe 11-01-2006 04:45 PM

Well, it's a done deal. Got the offer and couldn't say 'no'. Now the next few months will be an adventure.

CBSuperduty 11-01-2006 05:41 PM

CONGRATS to you and the family.

1979 Ford 11-01-2006 08:19 PM

Dakota Dunes is pretty nice, so is Elk Point or even North Sioux City. Not that bad a drive from Sioux City either.

67nukeford 11-02-2006 03:53 PM

Congrats on the job Rob! Hate to see you leave the Omaha area, but I'm sure you'll do fine up in SC. Do you have a date for when you start up there?

cowboywanabe 11-02-2006 07:16 PM

I'll start working up there on November 13th. I'm looking forward to it. I'll be around Omaha for a while, doesn't look like houses are selling too quick. Plus, we are not even going to put the house on the market until sometime after the new year.

I am thinking about finding a studio apartment so I don't have to commute every day. It'll be cheaper to license the new truck in SD too :-D

FordTrucksKickGM 11-09-2006 10:45 AM

I work in Sioux City but I live 30 miles west in Nebraska. Let me know if you come up for a visit.

cowboywanabe 11-09-2006 06:32 PM

Hey Mark... I thought one of 'us' lived up that way, we'll definitely have to get together sometime.

FordTrucksKickGM 11-10-2006 08:31 AM

Send me a private message or something before your next trip up here and we can go do something.