Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   02 upfitter install complete (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/534217-02-upfitter-install-complete.html)

cef2lion 10-06-2006 11:24 AM

02 upfitter install complete

Took awhile but I have the upfitter switches functional.

First step was replacing the lower dash panel with one from an 05. Had to get the 05 cup holder and trash hook. Have to trim behind the panel a bit. Fit looks good.

Second step was mounting the relay box that comes with the kit. It mounts above the pass glove box. Had to drill one mounting hole. Other was there. Had to trim part of the glove box but not by much. I them routed the wiring harness over to the upfitter switch and plugged that in. You then attach the ground. I pulled the fuse box down and routed the end of the harness to there and stopped. Needed to figure out how I was going to complete the wiring. researched it a lot.

Last phase an it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. There is a connector called C270K on back of the fuse box. On the 05 an up models that is where you plug in the upfitter harness and your done. There is a C270K on my 02 but wasn't wired for this purpose. Looking at wiring diagrams from the 05 and 02 showed that Ford used powerport fuses for the upfitters. The trucks didn't have them anyway. They were in the fuse box for the Excursion I bet. What I did was remove the existing C270K connector an transfer the 2 existing wires to the upfitter connector. I pulled wires 4 an 5 out of the connector. 4 was a conflict with an existing wire. I think it has something to do with the trailer setup. Wire 4 on the upfitter harness powers the relay box. I connected it to the customer access wire. Find a hot wire if you want the AUX switches hot all the time. Wire 5 lights the switches. I ran a wire to the back of the headlight switch.

I tested each of the blunt upfitter wires an they all have power. AUX 1 uses fuse F2.108. AUX 2 uses F2.109. AUX 3 uses F2.3. AUX 4 uses F2.5. I read someone else with a different year, 04 I think, found that fuses F2.3 and F2.5 were not connected in the fusebox itself and had to pull those wires from the connector and power them elsewhere. I lucked out I guess with my 02. They must have changed the fusebox.

I recently added the newer tow mirrors. Had the lights all wired up and working. I waited on for the upfitter switches to connect my heated mirrors. Connected them to AUX 4. Works great.

Next project is getting the Ford remote entry/start installed.

PowerstrokeJunkie 10-06-2006 03:59 PM

wow, that looks really trick. i am surprised it fit as well as it looks. what do you have switches 1,2 and 3 wired for?

mjlewis 10-06-2006 04:33 PM

that is one sharp install! if you dont mind me asking, where did you get the dash panel and uplifter switches from?

one heck of a good job! thanks for sharing

-mike

Kwikkordead 10-06-2006 05:43 PM

Whoa, that IS a nice setup.

cdiddy 10-06-2006 10:25 PM

Man looks like a job. I had just started looking into doing this same mod in my 02. How diffucult is it to hook into the fuesbox? I think that I can handel doing everything execpt hooking into the fuesbox. How did the color match up on the new 05 parts next to the 02 parts. Didnt know if there would be a color diffrence. Also I guess I would have to also buy the little black plastic backing for my 4x4 switch to add my pedal switch to it.

AustinS 10-08-2006 09:11 PM

Nice Job! I do believe I have found my next mod. I bet having that little glovebox so close is real handy. I just need to figure out where I'll move my trailer brake controller. One thing about storage, there is never ever enough!

Thanks for the nice write up,

Austin

cef2lion 10-09-2006 08:31 AM

Wasn't on all weekend. Thanks for the comments.

I only have my heated mirrors on AUX 4 right now. No plans for the rest just yet but they are there now.

I got the lower panel an trash hook off ebay by chance. He sold them separate an with no cupholder. Got the cupholder and upfitter kit from powerstrokeshop.com, a sponsor. Took a long time for seller to ship panel. Panel color is the same from what I can see. Some trimming required but nothing major. Drivers glovebox is a bonus. Very nice and handy in that location. Little cubby next to switches is perfect for the cell phone.

Tapping fusebox took longest not in labor but research. Looked over wiring digrams for 02 and matched them up with upfitter install paper. That showed me that Ford used the unused powerport circuits to power all the AUX switches. Just had to move those existing 2 wires to the upfitter connector and pull those other 2 an connect them to proper location.

mjlewis 10-17-2006 12:49 PM

i started to do some research on this mod. found the upfitter switch kit on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...QQcmdZViewItem

i'm looking for the lower panel now.
has anyone else tried this mod yet?

thanks
-mike

cef2lion 10-17-2006 02:54 PM

I bought my kit from a sponsor for just over $80.

mjlewis 10-17-2006 08:33 PM

www.powerstrokeshop.com has them for $80. i might try this mod out. i would make adding things like a lcd and a dvd player alot easier.

powerstrokin007 10-17-2006 10:47 PM

That's the same mod I was looking at doing but I was also looking at putting in the electric brake too. Though I heard that it won't work with the computer.

Wolverine69 10-18-2006 03:19 PM

Can upfitter switches be installed in a 2000 F450?

1. Can this same install be done on a 2000 F450?

2. Will the driver's glove box interfere with the manual transfer case shift lever that sticks up out of the floor?

cef2lion 10-18-2006 03:35 PM

1. I see no reason why not on a 2000 F450.

2. I don't know about the transfer shift lever. Any chance someone might be able to peak at an 05 or newer with the transfer shift lever an see if the driver glove box is there.

mjlewis 10-18-2006 08:02 PM

here's the TBC on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...QQcmdZViewItem

i dont know if it'll work with pre-2005's. anybody have any thoughts... the whole kit might be a pretty cool upgrade of our 7.3's

Add The Intergrated Electronic Trailer Brake Controller To Any 2005, 2006, 2007 Ford Super Duty. F250 F350 F450 F550. A Factory TBC will provide you with the ability to assure smooth and effective trailer braking. the TBC powers the trailers electric brakes with a proportional output based on the towing vehicles brake pressure.

Factory TBC can only be used on trailers with electronically actuated drum brakes, (One to Four Axels) See pages 171-174 in your owners guide.

The dealer won't tell you that your truck is ALREADY pre wired for adding a TBC. EVERY WIRE IS ALREADY IN PLACE FROM THE FACTORY.

Three step installation:

1. Pop Out Dash Coin Tray, There are 2 plugs on tha back of this tray. Unplug them from the tray and plug them into the New TBC Unit. Snap unit back in the dash. Your all done inside.

2. Replace the Master Cylinder. (Included In Kit) There are additional switches on the new cylinder, The wires that plug into the new cylinder are located under where the cylinder mounts. Bleed Brakes.

3. This is where you need the Dealers help. Your Instrument Cluster needs to be told that the truck now has TBC. Dealers Charge on average one hour or less labor for this operation.

DEALER reconfiguring of your cluster is REQUIRED. (NO EXCEPTIONS)

When a tow command system (TBC) trailer brake controller is installed on a 2005 2006 2007 F- Super Duty that did not come from the factory with the tow command system, the controller may not operate and function as designed unless a brake pressure transducer equipped master cylinder is installed (INCLUDED IN KIT) and the instrument cluster is reconfigured. To configure the cluster using WDS (cannot use NGS): identify vehicle; select toolbox icon; from list on left side of screen select "module programming" and hit tick button; select the programmable parameter item and a sub-menu will appear. In this sub-menu, select "personality" and hit tick button; select "trailer brake controller" then select "equipped

Kit Includes Everything Needed to Add TBC. Exact Same Parts & Instruction Sheets As Ford Sells For Well Over $500.00. Does NOT INCLUDE UPFITTER SWITCHES. See My Other Auctions For Upfitter Switches.

Please Provide Your VIN# with your payment so I can be Sure To Send You The Parts You Need. Also If Your Truck Is Not Equipped with the 7 pin trailer plug on the rear bumper, Please see your local Dealer. Here is the part number and the wires are already back there. 5C3Z15A416BA Retails for $31.37

sneak 12-07-2007 11:55 PM

I actually think this would be a good mod to combine with some other things at the same time, as of now I'm comtemplating doing this, a tc lock up, an ebpv brake, and high idle all together on my 02. It would solve my problem of finding somewhere to mount the small switches for the mods, I'd have 4 auxiliary power sources, and a clean looking install where he put his trailer brake controller.

Edit: How much did the pannel, cup holder, and hook cost from the newer model truck?