Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Issue with Mile Marker hubs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/526354-issue-with-mile-marker-hubs.html)

rlh68050 09-11-2006 01:30 PM

Issue with Mile Marker hubs

I installed Mile Marker hubs on my 2001 Ex a few months ago. After two set of ESOF hubs that failed and were stuck in the lock position, I was done. The install went very easy, and I haven't really paid much attention to them as I have not had to use 4wd. Yesterday, while cleaning the wheel, I noticed that the hub seemed loose. I took my allen key and checked the bolts and they were tight. I then removed the outer dial of the hub, and the inner part that is held in place with the snap ring was loose. It was like the snap ring was not holding it tight eneough. I removed the snap ring and reinstalled it, same thing. I then went to the other side, and it was fine - nice and snug, with no movement. I ended up flipping the snap ring over and this seemed to help a bit, but I really do not know what is wrong. There doesn't seem to be anything broken, or any damage to the hub or the axle. Any ideas???

:-X25

BFR250SD 09-11-2006 03:18 PM

Did the 2001 Ex have the D50 front end?

I remember a few guys posting that on one side or the other of the D50, the inside of the hub had a piece of th stub shaft that stuck out a little farther than the other and you would get that loosness, but this was mostly with the Warn hubs, not the MM's.

What guys were doing with the Warns was ordering another snap ring and installing with the first one and the rattle was gone.

My MM's on my '04 fit perfect though, no play at all.

rlh68050 09-11-2006 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by BFR250SD
Did the 2001 Ex have the D50 front end?

I remember a few guys posting that on one side or the other of the D50, the inside of the hub had a piece of th stub shaft that stuck out a little farther than the other and you would get that loosness, but this was mostly with the Warn hubs, not the MM's.

What guys were doing with the Warns was ordering another snap ring and installing with the first one and the rattle was gone.

My MM's on my '04 fit perfect though, no play at all.

Good thinking, yes I believe that adding an additional snap ring will do the trick. BTW, it is the passenger side that has the issue.

BFR250SD 09-11-2006 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by rlh68050
Good thinking, yes I believe that adding an additional snap ring will do the trick. BTW, it is the passenger side that has the issue.

Honestly, off-hand I can't remember which one it was. I just remember the discussion a few of us were having about MM's, Warn's, Superwinch, etc. We were just going over the goods / bads and why's and the rattling of the Warns came up.

rlh68050 09-11-2006 03:37 PM

Honestly, off-hand I can't remember which one it was. I just remember the discussion a few of us were having about MM's, Warn's, Superwinch, etc. We were just going over the goods / bads and why's and the rattling of the Warns came up.

Thanks, I just e-mailed Mile Marker asking where to get an additional snap ring. What I did was to take out the MM hub and reinstall it with the snap ring on the oppisite way it was and the play was reduced quite a bit. Don't know why, but it worked. What's funny is that the looseness didn't turn up for quite a while after I had them installed.

John311t 09-11-2006 04:58 PM

I am about ready to buy the Mile Markers and it says i need a conversion kit because my vechical has automatic hubs. I dont need them right? I just dont want to install them and have them not work.

rlh68050 09-11-2006 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by John311t
I am about ready to buy the Mile Markers and it says i need a conversion kit because my vechical has automatic hubs. I dont need them right? I just dont want to install them and have them not work.

No, you don't need the conversion kit. The issue I am having is a minor one, probably corrected by doubling up on the snap rings.

BFR250SD 09-12-2006 08:41 AM

You don't need the conversion kit. That was for some of the older trucks that had the full-time 4wd. None of the SD's neeed that, all you need is the hubs.

Here is the write up I did when I installed mine:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/lc/lc.ph...Conversion.doc

It'll take you step by step.

krewat 09-12-2006 10:38 AM

The loose snap-rings can be either side, it's really a manufacturing irregularity that shows up because the groove isn't always the same width.

Warn was quick to send me snap rings for both sides when I asked about the rattle. I put them in on both sides, no more problems. I have a Dana 50. It had nothing to do with the axle stub. It was the groove for the snap-ring that holds the hub in.

Contact Mile Marker, they probably will be quick to help you out ;)

rlh68050 09-12-2006 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by krewat
The loose snap-rings can be either side, it's really a manufacturing irregularity that shows up because the groove isn't always the same width.

Warn was quick to send me snap rings for both sides when I asked about the rattle. I put them in on both sides, no more problems. I have a Dana 50. It had nothing to do with the axle stub. It was the groove for the snap-ring that holds the hub in.

I have sent an e-mail requesting the additional snap rings. If I do not hear from them soon, I think I will give them a call.

John311t 09-12-2006 02:15 PM

Thanks BFR i looked into it last night so more and found your write up. It was very informative.

BFR250SD 09-12-2006 03:11 PM

Thanks BFR i looked into it last night so more and found your write up. It was very informative.

Glad it helped ya!

rlh68050 09-18-2006 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by krewat

So far, I have gotten nowhere with MM regarding this (via e-mail). I finally found a phone number and am going to call them this morning. If they don't help, any ideas where I can get one of these lock rings locally?.

BFR250SD 09-18-2006 09:03 AM

Just for giggles, take the other one out of the other side and put it in there and see if helps, first.

Otherwise, you could try a local off road shop, they would probably have a few laying around.

rlh68050 09-18-2006 10:49 AM

Just for giggles, take the other one out of the other side and put it in there and see if helps, first.

Otherwise, you could try a local off road shop, they would probably have a few laying around.

Good idea!!. Do you think that leaving it in there while it is a bit loose is doing any damage to anything?.