Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Minnesota Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum86/)
-   -   Bumper laws, anyway around them? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/526225-bumper-laws-anyway-around-them.html)

lanceh13 09-10-2006 11:51 PM

Bumper laws, anyway around them?

What is the Minnesota bumper height law's? Also, is there anyway around it. I have collector plates on my 79' F-250 (pictures in gallery) and I got pulled over by a state trooper. He was very nice and really admired my truck and said himself that its prolly just easier in my case to risk getting a few tickets then spend the money and alter my trucks look to get it within the mn law.

But I've heard from some of my friends that because it has collector plates it should be exempt is that true?

Just so you know...I have yet to actually get a ticket...one nice thing about being active duty military...they're a little more forgiving.

Ford79 09-12-2006 05:26 PM

Don't know about the collector plate deal, but 25" from the ground to the bottom of the bumpers is all that is allowed by law. I've seen a lot of trucks driving around the Twin Cities area that don't conform to that law.

lanceh13 09-12-2006 05:54 PM

for the most part as i said the local and state patrol cops seem to be pretty cool about it. Specially if its a good looking truck and not a heap. I've only been pulled over twice for it...and never got a ticket. But I'm just curious if there is anyway that you guys have heard about people getting around this. Without something like drop bumpers. i want to keep the clean look.

Ford79 09-13-2006 09:52 PM

Short of drop bumpers or (gasp!!) making the truck lower, I haven't seen any other ways around it. What time span were your two pull overs? If it's only once or twice a year it shouldn't be too big of a deal. Maybe the officers just wanted a closer look to get ideas for their rides.

backwoodspuller 10-13-2006 09:54 PM

i went throu the same thing but i did get tickets i just ended up runnning homeaid nice looking tudes under my bumpers i had them bent to flow with the bumpers and monted them on squair tubeing hidden on the back side of the stock bumpper and welded smaller tubeing on the back side of the homeaid bummpers so it worked like a reciver tube and 2 pins and it was all hidden and easy to take off for show or wheeling but it did take away from the clean look thou i am kinda glad i got out of the jacked up truck thing they look cool but i always got harassed about it but than again the open headers gutted interior and no lights combined with a heavy foot might have also been a issue

mizzitch 10-17-2006 09:08 PM

I thought that I read that 1 ton and up vehicles do not have to comply with the 25" rule, so I don't know if that does you much good. The cement trucks with driven front axles are definately over 25" for example.

Josh88Ford 10-18-2006 03:40 PM

Put trailer recievers in both the front and back, and fab some custom bumpers. I guy in town has a simple drop bumper thats a closed 2x6 metal strip, about 5 foot long welded on an upside down L. Slips it into the trailer reciver in town, and takes it off muddin. Quite simple, and can make it look good. I plan on doing this when i put a roll pan on

mizzitch 10-18-2006 10:47 PM

I have a receiver hitch on the SD classifieds that you could take the clamp hitch off and bolt up a plate or square tube???