Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Need help on water leak!! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/524468-need-help-on-water-leak.html)

fleastang 09-05-2006 05:57 PM

Need help on water leak!!

I have a 99 F-250 Super Duty 4WD and here lately when it rains alot I have alot of water getting in on the passenger side floorboard coming from somewhere under the right front under the dash. I have looked under the cowling and don't think it is from there. I heard of someone having water funnel in from the 3rd brake light gasket and I did replace that because it had some leakage but after last nights heavy rain it has soaked my carpet again. Once i dried it I drove it and lots of water came from somewhere and completely soaked a bath towel. Anyone think it may be from the heater blower area and filling up the box under the dash till it runs out??? Any ideas on fixes?? Thanks for any HELP!!

crazyrwe 09-05-2006 06:09 PM

I usually just get under the dash and close the door,and let someone run a garden hose with no attatchment on it in various places.Do it slowly,and if it gets tough,mix up some food coloring in a bucket or 2 and try that. Al.

fleastang 09-05-2006 06:18 PM

Looks like more rain so mother nature my do it for me. I wondered if there was a way water was entering the blower housing somehow. Thanks for the info crazyrwe.

Cuda444 09-05-2006 06:21 PM

I've had this problem in the past also... never found the answer though. And, knock on wood, it has stopped... Hasn't done it for months now, which is fine with me... But I still gotta get in there and replace the insulation under the carpet.

Let me know what you figure out! :)

Tom

crazyrwe 09-05-2006 06:21 PM

Fleastang,just a dumb question. Are you sure it's just water,no antifreeze.Are you running straight water in your cooling system? I was thinking maybe your heater core?

fleastang 09-05-2006 07:06 PM

No it is just rain water. No antifreeze to be seen or smelled. It is just clear water and only after we have our gully washer rains here of lately. After I dried it up, I layed a towel down under the carpet and mats to try and absorb some of the moisture in the padding and when I took off under hard acceleration (and uphill) it came out and completely soaked the towel which makes me think it may be leaking into the plastic housing area maybe thru the blower where it attaches at the firewall.............I am at a loss right now.

bobbo7915 09-05-2006 07:07 PM

ha i have the same problem with my '99 crew cab, the passanger floor is slighty damp but under the sill plate is soaked, its not anti-freeze but just water. its just in the front so its not the third brake light gasket. im gonna have to look into it more and see what i find.

fleastang 09-05-2006 07:18 PM

Sounds exactly like my problem. Under the sill plate it is full of water every time I notice the leak. I know it is rain water but how it comes in is a mystery; I just know it is coming from under the dash somewhere. I may have a windshield person look at it.

Cuda444 09-05-2006 09:01 PM

Are you guys leaving your blower on something other than off when the truck is off and parked during the rain? Like defrost?

Just curious

Tom

fleastang 09-06-2006 04:38 AM

I always turn off the blower in regards to the defrost/vent control. I have noticed that the off position leaves the door under the dash at the blower open to where you can see the "squirrel cage" of the blower fan visible thru the upening. I can post pics if needed....................

Studenut65 09-06-2006 06:31 AM

I had the same problem. I would get water sitting in under the door sill plate. I culked the windshield better, but the leak persisted. It seams that the carpet on the passenger side would absorb the water from the sill...I think. Anyhow, I had the rear light sealed and the rear window checked for leaks. Well, I found the leak, but it wasn't the window or light. It appears that the welded seam at the back of the cab leaks water and it runs right down to the sill plate/carpet. I pulled out my entire interior one weekend and ran a garden hose over the rear seam. When I saw it leaked, I used culk (black on my black truck) and culked the seam on the outside. Don't culk on the inside b/c water will sit in the seam and rust it out eventually. Let me know if I can be of more help.

Nate

bobbo7915 09-06-2006 10:19 AM

see the rear of my cab is dry, its only the front. would leaving the blower on something other than off cause it to leak? i guess if it was taking outside air in.....

krewat 09-06-2006 10:46 AM

Make sure the AC drain is clear. If water runs in the air intake, it has to drain out the bottom of the AC box, otherwise it fills up, and runs into the passenger compartment.

At least, that's what it did in my '97 Cougar ;)

fleastang 09-06-2006 02:21 PM

Where is the A/C drain located? I know water drips from the passenger side for the A/C but where the drain is I am not sure. I do know it is rain water from the quantity and I wondered about the air intake (if that is what is under the cowling on the passenger side) and it sealing with the "air box" underneath in the engine compartment where the blower motor housing is located. At that point I wondered if water was getting in the blower housing (squirrel cage area and beyond). Just an idea since it is getting at least a quart minimum of water coming in after a heavy rain......................thanks for the replies thusfar!!

Studenut65 09-06-2006 03:19 PM

If you pull your kick panel off and your carpet back, can you run a hose over the windshield and down over the air box under the hood to see if there are any "streams" of water? Just a thought. I have a regular cab, that is why my front carpet got soaked with a rear cab leak. Sealing the top of the windshield cured my front leak for the most part. Im interested to see where you will eventually find the leak.

Nate