Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   ZooDad Mod and Horizontal Rain (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/519876-zoodad-mod-and-horizontal-rain.html)

Uzumati 08-21-2006 12:46 PM

ZooDad Mod and Horizontal Rain

After driving about 15 miles in horizontal rain at about 30 -35 MPH water will not make it all the way up the snorkle to the element. I am working on a diverter that would deflect water but not sure if I need to finish it as only about the first 2" of the snorkle were wet after this drive.

jtharvey 08-21-2006 03:03 PM

I doubt you need to worry about the snorkel. Water in the zoodad has been a topic of discussion for quite some time. I've yet to hear of a filter getting wet with the zoodad done.

PSNut 08-21-2006 03:21 PM

Kwikk,who lives in Seattle ,can attest to this fact. No wet filter.

Nut

Markadeck 08-21-2006 03:46 PM

At 70 mph all rain is horizontal rain.

AlaskaF350PS 08-23-2006 11:58 PM

Newbie question....

I've tried to find the exact mod by searching, but after reading many pages of posts I'm still in the dark as to what exactly a zoodad mod is.... :-banghead

I've gathered it has something to do with increasing the cold-are intake ability of the AIS (which I'm installing this weekend, weather permitting), and that some have put in screens to avoid excessive bugs in the filter. This would be an ABSOLUTE NECESSITY in Alaska for all things--it isn't just a rumor that we have mosquitoes the size of airplanes up here--ask Markadeck!!

However, can I get the exact specs on what a zoodad is?? Thanks :-D

Kevin

hink10 08-24-2006 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by AlaskaF350PS
I've tried to find the exact mod by searching, but after reading many pages of posts I'm still in the dark as to what exactly a zoodad mod is.... :-banghead

I've gathered it has something to do with increasing the cold-are intake ability of the AIS (which I'm installing this weekend, weather permitting), and that some have put in screens to avoid excessive bugs in the filter. This would be an ABSOLUTE NECESSITY in Alaska for all things--it isn't just a rumor that we have mosquitoes the size of airplanes up here--ask Markadeck!!

However, can I get the exact specs on what a zoodad is?? Thanks :-D

Kevin

Here is a pic. Just use a hole saw and cut a hole in front of the air inlet. I drilled two holes then shaped to an oval. :)

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...id=126189&.jpg

7.3powerstroke 08-24-2006 03:13 AM

yeah I havent had a problem with rain either. I live in puyallup south of seattle and I have checked my filter after a hard rain and its dry as a bone.

AlaskaF350PS 08-24-2006 04:32 AM

Thanks, and.....

Thank you hink10, excellent pic. That clears up a lot. :-X22 Just put the holes right in front of the snorkel, then, huh? Pretty clever--why didn't Ford come up with it???? :-X19

Just out of curiousity, do most recommend the Zoodad over the foam sleeve into the wheel well (which I understand increases drone) when upgrading to the AIS?

How long does it usually take, and how much of the front grill/facia do you have to remove to do it? Where do people usually put the bug screen (is regular window screen ok??), and how do you clean it well to avoid clogging problems (I've got a heavy-duty grill guard that restricts access somewhat)?

Finally, do people notice an increase in the frequency of filter changes?

Whew! Sorry for the length, but I'd rather do one long post with all rather than several for each question....

Thanks again. I don't know how many mistakes I'd be making if it weren't for you guys, and I can't even do as much as I want! :-X25

Kevin

PowerstrokeJunkie 08-24-2006 06:42 AM

i really opened mine up, here is what it looks like. i just used an air die grinder, and kept grinding away until i couldnt do much more.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t/DSCF2393.jpg

you can actually see my open element air filter.
you only need to remove the grille, which is 4 simple phillips drive screws on the top, and use a flat screw driver on the bottom to pry the 4 little clips upwards so the grill can come right out!

hink10 08-24-2006 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by AlaskaF350PS
Thank you hink10, excellent pic. That clears up a lot. :-X22 Just put the holes right in front of the snorkel, then, huh? Pretty clever--why didn't Ford come up with it???? :-X19

Just out of curiousity, do most recommend the Zoodad over the foam sleeve into the wheel well (which I understand increases drone) when upgrading to the AIS?

How long does it usually take, and how much of the front grill/facia do you have to remove to do it? Where do people usually put the bug screen (is regular window screen ok??), and how do you clean it well to avoid clogging problems (I've got a heavy-duty grill guard that restricts access somewhat)?

Finally, do people notice an increase in the frequency of filter changes?

Whew! Sorry for the length, but I'd rather do one long post with all rather than several for each question....

Thanks again. I don't know how many mistakes I'd be making if it weren't for you guys, and I can't even do as much as I want! :-X25

Kevin

You can still do the fender sleeve, to be honest, I don't think the zoodad really does a whole lot. I did a test a while back with a temp sensor inside the 6637 filter and the temps were not much different. In your case you are looking for more air flow so it may help some but the fender sleeve will be better. The zoodad may not help too much, but it won't hurt either. The zoodad shouldn't effect filter changes. If you are worried about bugs, etc. getting in, you could always put a piece of screen over the hole. :-wink

RAMPAGE_F350 08-24-2006 09:18 AM

OK guys I've wanted to spill my thoughts on the AIS for a while, the AIS is known to bottom-out the more sensitive filter minder that comes with the unit. So people put the stock filter minder in its place and still have issues with it bottoming out. Of course, this varies from truck to truck and the mods that each truck has.

This tells me one thing, the AIS filter box is creating restiction in your engines time of need. Even with the zoodad and the fender sleeve. So which is the lesser of two evils, the AIS with the cooler outside air induction, best filtering and a semi-restrictive box or an open style filter that sucks heat-soaked air,has pretty decent filtering and no restriction? Fire away...}>

PowerstrokeJunkie 08-24-2006 12:40 PM

Chris, i think you should have started a new thread, this is going to get firey.

i have always thought the same thing as you, but i let the AIS guys do their thing, and i'll keep on doing my 6637 thing. to each his own.

jtharvey 08-24-2006 07:32 PM

I've done some real world testing of the intake temps, using my AIT sensor just sitting in the engine compartment. Only at slower speeds do you see the increase in the incoming air. But at slower speeds your boost levels are down, so the air going into the motor is actually cooler. (There's another temps sensor in the intake manifold). At upper speeds, the air in the engine compartment isn't that much above ambient, but the increased boost levels make the air going into the engine hotter than the slower speeds when the engine compartment has hotter air. Bottom line is the temp of the air going into the engine is less affected by the intake air temp and more affected by the boost level.

I've got a thread on it: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...-readings.html

Uzumati 08-24-2006 08:36 PM

That is exactly the same thing I am seeing with autoenginuity jtharvey and you are dead on on the conclusion. Any time you compress a gas heat is generated as a byproduct of the energy used to compress it. But with this fuel leak i just fixed (drain valve o-rings) I am glad i have a box around my air filter there is diesel residue all over everything under the hood (never seen one spray that bad before).

Flywest 01-27-2007 06:41 AM

Dumb Question

Dumb Question?

Sorry for probably a dumb question....just showing I'm still a newbie at this!

Do you just cut out this hole thing on one side of the radiator - where the air feed is to the air filter box behind the battery on the Left hand (drivers side in your country, passenger side in mine) of the truck?

It seems to me the intercooler pipes things seem to point down toward there on each side of the radiator and I was just wondering if the zoodad holes were supposed to be cut both sides of the radiator to get more air into them big pipes or something?

Sorry - it is a dumb question isn't it!!

I can't see jack shyte inside all that radiator shrouding, how am I sposed to know whats going on back in there?.. I ain't a mind reader!

So one hole or two please - and is it Ok to do the zoo dad mod with the stock air intake box and filter?

Thanks again!

Cheers!