Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   V code, B code upgrade finished (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/518774-v-code-b-code-upgrade-finished.html)

Stewart_H 08-17-2006 11:38 AM

V code, B code upgrade finished

Well, I finally finished the spring upgrades and Bilstein shocks all the way around.

For all those interested, here is what I added to the Ex:

Front V code springs: Part #2C3Z-5310-HA
Rear B code springs: Part #3C3Z-5560-CB
Left side 3.5" tapered block: Part #F81Z-5598-FA
Right side 3.5" tapered block Part #F81Z-5598-GA

...and the Bilstein part numbers if you use the above springs:
Front: BE5-2818 (OEM length for the F250 4x4)
Rear: BE5-6209 (OEM length for the Excursion 4x4)

And I topped it off with a Hellwig rear anti-sway bar.

When I talked with Shane at Bilstein. He recommended using the shocks for the F250 4x4 on the front of my Ex, but to stay with the Bilsteins for the 4x4 Excursion on the rear.

Shane said the fronts can use the extra length the F250 shock gives because the front V code springs raise the Ex about an inch an a half, but the Excursion Bilsteins for the rear are long and have a lot of travel. He said you could put a 3" lift on the Ex and still use the stock Bilstein for the rears.

I reused the front U-bolts, but had to obtain some OEM F250 U-bolts for the rear because of the bigger block I added. I don't have those part numbers because I didn't order them from Ford, but rather, obtained them from a 4x4 shop. They were take-offs they had lying around.

The Ex has a slight lift to it now. Very noticeable over the stock 4x4 height. I like it.

The install was pretty straightforward and anyone who has any wrenching skills should be able to handle this modification.

All I have left now is to replace the steering stabilizer.

As for the results on the road, the handling is much improved and the wander has been eliminated.

The Bilsteins give excellent road feedback and coupled with the spring upgrade and Hellwig bar, you now can anticipate how your Excursion will handle and respond on dips and bumps in the road.

I should have done this a long time ago...

Stewart

MadMedic20 08-18-2006 12:06 AM

You need to get new U bolts on there ASAP. U bolts are not ment to be re-used.

I have been wanting to do this to my X, especially since I have the stock 250 springs from my truck sitting around. My wife wont let me do it though. She says it will ride to rough like my truck. I tried to explain to her that the X has more weight and it wont ride bad at all. Sometimes driving the X can be darn scary after driving my truck for long periods and being used to how it handles.

Stewart_H 08-18-2006 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by MadMedic20
You need to get new U bolts on there ASAP. U bolts are not ment to be re-used.

Why? They aren't torque-to-yield bolts.

Not arguing with you, just asking why you feel they can't be used again.

Stewart

MadMedic20 08-18-2006 09:46 PM

No they are not torque to yield, but everything I have ever heard is they are not reusable. I have been told by two different spring shops to never reuse. My Grandpa was a heavy diesel mechanic that owned and worked on his own equipment, he also said to never do it.

Stewart_H 08-19-2006 02:05 AM

Gotcha!

Thanks for qualifying your response. :)

Stewart

XHunter 08-20-2006 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by S_Harvey
For all those interested, here is what I added to the Ex:

Front V code springs: Part #2C3Z-5310-HA
Rear B code springs: Part #3C3Z-5560-CB
Left side 3.5" tapered block: Part #F81Z-5598-FA
Right side 3.5" tapered block Part #F81Z-5598-GA

...and the Bilstein part numbers if you use the above springs:
Front: BE5-2818 (OEM length for the F250 4x4)
Rear: BE5-6209 (OEM length for the Excursion 4x4)

And I topped it off with a Hellwig rear anti-sway bar.

The Ex has a slight lift to it now. Very noticeable over the stock 4x4 height. I like it.

Stewart

I'm very seriously considering doing this mod, I want a tiny bit of a lift in the front to fit bigger rims/tires. What do you think the approx lift height is over the stock height?

Stewart_H 08-20-2006 09:55 PM

I knew I should have taken pictures and measurements from before and after. But it wasn't important to me, and I didn't think about it (to help others) until after I finished the job. :(

This coming from a guy who takes pictures to document EVERYTHING on my Lightning when I modify it.

Go figure!

I can measure from the center of the front wheel hub, to the bottom lip of the fender, so you can do a comparison with your stock setup, if you want.

Stewart

RACERX7775 08-21-2006 12:38 AM

does anyone know how to access the spring code chart thats on here. its the one that has all the heights and stuff on it. MONSTA, i think you know which one?? i found it once and cant find it now. i ordered the v code springs and am thinking that i should have ordered the x code. darn.

Stewart_H 08-21-2006 01:04 AM

I think I found it. I bumped it back to the top.

Is that the one you're looking for?

Maybe someone should make that thread a sticky?

Stewart

XHunter 08-21-2006 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by XHunter
What do you think the approx lift height is over the stock height?

I found the chart.

chart says with the PSD V code lift should be +1.50

S_Harvey, any chance you could post some pictures? Would you say that it "levels the Ex" front to rear?

78crewcabjohn 08-21-2006 11:00 AM

If you don't mind me asking.....about what was the total cost involved. I'm considering spring upgrades. THANKS JOHN

RACERX7775 08-21-2006 11:06 AM

x hunter, can you tell me where to see it?

XHunter 08-21-2006 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by RACERX7775
x hunter, can you tell me where to see it?

Its about 10 threads down on the Excursion page by mikerich "front spring replacement chart"

but I found it by searching for V code spring, it was on the main page after I searched.

RACERX7775 08-21-2006 11:28 AM

x hunter, thanks, i dont know how i missed that. i ordered the v's because i think the x springs would be too harsh?

has anyone done the x or w springs on their X? please report your knowledge. thanks

Stewart_H 08-21-2006 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by XHunter
I found the chart.

I found it by searching for V code spring, it was on the main page after I searched.

Is it the same one I bumped back to the top? Or a different one?

X, I'll be glad to take some pictures. Gimme a bit of time and I'll have 'em up for you.

Stewart