Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Diesel Discussion (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum171/)
-   -   Curb Weight of F350, 6.0, LB, Crew Cab?? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/518335-curb-weight-of-f350-6-0-lb-crew-cab.html)

bardave 08-15-2006 07:36 PM

Curb Weight of F350, 6.0, LB, Crew Cab??

Called my dealer and then two other Ford dealers to find out what my newly ordered F350, 6.0 diesel, SRW, LB, Crew Cab will weigh. Was told to look in the door (I dont have my new truck yet to look) but did look in my brother-in- laws new truck. NO curb weight posted there, only GVWR for axels.

Finally got a return call from one dealer who says he "thinks" it weighs 6,850 pounds.
Does anyone really know what it would weigh, and does this weight include a 150 pound person and half tank of fuel --- I have heard the weight of the truck assumes the weight of an average man and a half tank of fuel.

I have searched this site for weights...and my searches come up empty

This information is important in calculations to figure total weight of truck and 5th wheel - (dont own the 5ver either, just want to buy one I can haul with this truck)

any expert help will be appreciated

Customz 08-15-2006 09:00 PM

7600 lbs full tank no driver...bet the farm

CAFordDude 08-16-2006 05:24 AM

Curb Weight
Curb Weight is the weight of your tow rig by itself as it sits in your driveway, with a full tank of fuel, but with no one or nothing in the truck. Key point: Manufacturers usually publish the Base Curb Weight in their manuals. The Base Curb Weight usually includes only a bare minimum of common options. So if you bought the dual rear wheel version of a truck with the optional extended cab, tow hitch and sunroof, the weight of those options is probably not reflected in the Base Curb Weight. Your truck's actual Curb Weight might be as much as 500 or more pounds heavier than the manufacturer's published number.

2006 Ford F-350 Super Duty
Axle Ratio 4.3
GCWR 26,000
Curb (published) 7,750
Curb (measured) 8,180

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...2/pageId=98012

glsurratt 08-16-2006 05:38 AM

This one's a dually and you didn't specify 4x4 or 4x2, but maybe this will give you an idea:

Tow Vehicle is a 2006 Ford F-350 6.0L PSD, DRW, 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Signature Series 18K hitch, 3/4 tank of fuel, driver on board. The truck has the Tow Boss Package with 4:30 rear axle ratio.

4800 Front axle - Rated for 6000
3600 Rear axle - Rated for 9000
8400 Gross - Rated for 13,000
GCWR - 26,000

bardave 08-16-2006 07:12 AM

Thanks for the help...
are you saying your vehicle weighs in at 8400 pounds with driver, fuel, hitch, 4x4 etc...if that is the case my vehicle will be much lighter...

reason this is so important, my max tow capacity for truck and trailer is 23000 pounds...I am considering a trailer that weighs in at 14400... so I am allowed to tow 15,900 lbs.... leaving me with 1500 to put on board...that is plenty of weight to haul....However my max weight of both vehicles, truck and trailer is 23000 pounds ...sooooo if I have a truck that weighs in at 8000 pounds ( I included in this weight me/wife/full tank and 200 lb hitch) this would leave me with only 600 pounds to put on board....14400 +8000 = 22400.

now if my truck is 400 pounds lighter (as compared to the dually and 4x4 above) I am back to 1000 pounds I can carry.... I want to have carry capacity of 1000 to purchase 5th wheel... that is why it is so important to figure weight of truck...

guess I am going to have to wait until truck arrives (mid september) and take it to the scales. Trying to find an accurate answer from Ford is like trying to nail jello to the wall....

02PSD4ME 08-16-2006 11:46 AM

You will not be able to get the REAL weight of the truck until you get it and weight it yourself, untill than all you can do is guess. My guess is 8,000 lbs.

You say the trailer weighs in at 14,400 lbs, is this the GVWR of is the trailer? or is this the empty weight? We all know how close the empty weight of a trailer is...

if it is the Empty weight, It does look like you are going to be close if not over with the SRW, might want to look at a DRW. With that much weight I would want a DULLEY! just for the stability. That is alot of trailer

I have a SRW F350, 4x4, LB, CC.. so IM not bashing a SRW.

bardave 08-16-2006 02:19 PM

Yes I know UVW of 14400 for a 5th wheel is heavy for my truck... I can tow 15900...so I am OK there...using just that part of the formula I could carry 1500 pounds in the trailer.....my target is 1000 pounds in the 5th wheel

but I need to be concerned with total weight of truck and trailer - 23000 pounds... IF my truck with me/wife/fuel and hitch comes in at 8000 pounds like you say... add that to 14400 and that brings me to 22400..leaving only 600 pounds for the 5th wheel.. certainly not enough.

I will start looking for another lighter 5th wheel. However if the truck comes in at 7500 pounds then that gives me another 500 pounds for the 5th wheel.... and 1100 pounds for the 5th wheel would be OK as my target is 1000 pounds in the 5th wheel

I was told by Ford they "think" my truck weighs 6850 pounds....so I add the 840 my wife and I and fuel and hitch weigh.... that brings me to 7690... but still 190 pounds away from my target. I have ask ford if that weight they gave me includes fuel ... they dont know....

38 gallons of diesel times 7.2 pounds per gallon = 273 pounds.... that means I could purchase the 5th wheel..... yes it is still cutting it close, but I would be within limits and still have over 1000 pounds to put in the 5ver

I have already ordered the truck, wife does not like the looks of the dually (and I dont care for it either) Yes the Dually carries the 500 pounds more Im looking for....but guess I will just relook at 5vers...
it all depends on what my truck will weigh

but thank you for your feed back.....

Kwikkordead 08-16-2006 02:54 PM

I just came across this thread Bardave.
I own a 14,000 lb 5th wheel and pulled it with a SRW for a very short time. In my impression that was way too much trailer to tow safely with a SRW. The biggest problem was the brakes were underrated. I have also passed two different pickup and 5th wheel setups on the side of the road with enormous 5th wheels, SRW, and one of the rear wheels came off because the rims were overloaded. One of them was trying to pull his with a 1/2 ton with the single rear wheel bearing and the entire axle had come out! I assumed the wheel bearing had gotton hot from all the weight and it simply broke out. The other one was a 3/4 ton and it simply lost the wheel. The highway patrol was there and the look on the guys face was complete speechlessness.
On mine, I warped the rotors on the first trip and I know that you cannot lean on the brakes to slow down. You have to give yourself tons of room and give a very light touch on the brakes. Mostly let the speed bleed off slowly if you need to stop. You have to use them as if I was driving a semi fully loaded to 80,000 lb . They still overheated and warped.
Personally I would keep the trailer weight limit to 10,000 lb. You'll also find that negotiating a very large trailer through a parking lot requires very careful planning on the route that you can take. Most places are simply unaccessable due to the sheer size of the rig. You are limited to truck stops for fuel, neighborhood sized gas stations don't allow you enough room to get in and out without forcing you to unhitch and bob-tail in.
That alone starts to make an auxiliary fuel tank look attractive so that you have the range needed to drive to the next suitable fuel stop. That adds more weight to consider.

Kwikkordead 08-16-2006 02:59 PM

I also just checked your signature. You say you have 3.73's. That is going to make towing a very heavy trailer an experience you won't care to repeat. It will do ok on the flat, but the slightest hill will be very noticable.

Customz 08-16-2006 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by bardave
Yes I know UVW of 14400 for a 5th wheel is heavy for my truck... I can tow 15900...so I am OK there...using just that part of the formula I could carry 1500 pounds in the trailer.....my target is 1000 pounds in the 5th wheel

but I need to be concerned with total weight of truck and trailer - 23000 pounds... IF my truck with me/wife/fuel and hitch comes in at 8000 pounds like you say... add that to 14400 and that brings me to 22400..leaving only 600 pounds for the 5th wheel.. certainly not enough.

I will start looking for another lighter 5th wheel. However if the truck comes in at 7500 pounds then that gives me another 500 pounds for the 5th wheel.... and 1100 pounds for the 5th wheel would be OK as my target is 1000 pounds in the 5th wheel

I was told by Ford they "think" my truck weighs 6850 pounds....so I add the 840 my wife and I and fuel and hitch weigh.... that brings me to 7690... but still 190 pounds away from my target. I have ask ford if that weight they gave me includes fuel ... they dont know....

38 gallons of diesel times 7.2 pounds per gallon = 273 pounds.... that means I could purchase the 5th wheel..... yes it is still cutting it close, but I would be within limits and still have over 1000 pounds to put in the 5ver

I have already ordered the truck, wife does not like the looks of the dually (and I dont care for it either) Yes the Dually carries the 500 pounds more Im looking for....but guess I will just relook at 5vers...
it all depends on what my truck will weigh

but thank you for your feed back.....

That truck is alot heavier than ford says. Mine weighs 7600 lbs full tank, no driver and is pretty well stripped down. It is 4x4 CC LB PSD Auto. With myself and full toolbox it is right at 8,000 lbs and I still don't have anything in the bed or any passengers. I'd consider a towboss.

glsurratt 08-16-2006 05:18 PM

Thanks for the help...
are you saying your vehicle weighs in at 8400 pounds with driver, fuel, hitch, 4x4 etc...if that is the case my vehicle will be much lighter...

reason this is so important, my max tow capacity for truck and trailer is 23000 pounds...I am considering a trailer that weighs in at 14400... so I am allowed to tow 15,900 lbs.... leaving me with 1500 to put on board...that is plenty of weight to haul....However my max weight of both vehicles, truck and trailer is 23000 pounds ...sooooo if I have a truck that weighs in at 8000 pounds ( I included in this weight me/wife/full tank and 200 lb hitch) this would leave me with only 600 pounds to put on board....14400 +8000 = 22400.

Yes, I'm saying my truck as I described it is 8400 lbs.
Now, let me throw another monkey wrench in your figures. You are counting on the fifth wheel being 14400. Consider the following on the trailer I just purchased (pay close attention to the "advertised dry" weight vs the "actual" weight!!!

The new trailer is a 2007 Nu-Wa HitchHiker Champaign Edition 37CKRD triple axle with 4 slides, dual A/C, Combo Washer/Dryer.
Advertised weights are:
Axles - 6084 each for 18,252 Total
Dry - 14,180
GVWR - 18,700
Both of them across the scale under the same condition listed above (3/4 tank of fuel, driver on board)
Front axle - 4900
Rear Axle - 6620
Trailer Axles - 12,500
Gross Combined - 24,020
Calculated Pin weight - 3020.
Actual trailer weight (GCW - Truck) 15,620

As you can see, my trailer was 1,440 lbs heavier that what I expected. And you won't know until you latch onto the trailer and actually put it on a set of scales!

02PSD4ME 08-16-2006 06:38 PM

Exactly what glsurratt said... You can not go by the unloaded weight. Your trailer will be heavier, and believe me when I say that weight adds up very fast when going on a trip. I blam the wife for this... :-D

I think you need to wait until you get your truck to get the REAL weight and look for a smaller trailer. You would be safe by going by the trailer GVWR and add that to your truck, of course after you weigh it.

bardave 08-16-2006 06:52 PM

thanks forall the responses.... especially notes from quickordead and glsuratt....
y'all may (did) save me a lot of heartburn... I notice you (quick) pull with a 550 now and the Cedar Creek looks nice....guess they dont sell them here in Houston as I have been in and out of over 100 5th wheels on about 15 different lots. I looked at the F450 and doesnt seem to be much more pulling power than the 350 dually.

I am looking at a Mobile Suite 5th wheel.... the label in the coach (they ) say is accurate...brochure is not accurate....actual weight is 14430 on label in coach. think I will have it weighed before buying, if I continue to proceed in this direction. it is really not that large, just heavy... outside measures 36'10", but very well made. Has two 8,000 pound axels with G or H rated tires and GVWR of 17500. I lived in a 40 foot Newmar diesel pusher for three years pulling a jeep, so I have a little experience getting in and out of fuel stops. However I am clueless regarding the truck and pulling a 5th wheel

sooo if I want this trailer I am going to have to switch to at least a 350 dually with at least a 4.1 axel ratio. (still think they are ugly...but rather be safe and ugly than good looking and broke down in the moutains in colorado)

even though I have ordered the truck, I inquired about switching...no problem,as they will sell truck that I ordered and I can get dually out of lot...

will the dually have better brakes? will I have warped rotors with the dually or do they put bigger brakes on the 4.10 duallies.... guess I should go for the 4.3

Now if I get the dually with the 4.3 LS axel ratio... I can tow 18.6 and my gross combined weight goes from 23000 pounds to 26000 pounds.
(what does LS stand for?)
since I will not haul a 5ver all the time, does the 4.3 axel ratio burn up that much more fuel than the 4.10 or 3.73.

the key here is to be safe and have the correct size truck........ or simply go back to the drawing board and get a lighter 5th wheel...

again thank y'all so much for the info...certainly gave me good information to worry about and to considerr...have made up my mind to at least switch to the dually regardless of 5th wheel, now the decision is the axel ratio.

glsurratt 08-16-2006 07:05 PM

Now if I get the dually with the 4.3 LS axel ratio... I can tow 18.6 and my gross combined weight goes from 23000 pounds to 26000 pounds.
(what does LS stand for?)
since I will not haul a 5ver all the time, does the 4.3 axel ratio burn up that much more fuel than the 4.10 or 3.73.

LS=Limited slip.
Here's my numbers for mileage with the 4.30s in the truck as noted above. Be aware that these are computer generated and I don't have a lot of samples yet with only 1 fillup and 1049 miles.
Running up and down I-64 from Norfolk to Richmond at 60 mph = 17.5 mpg.
Same road pulling the trailer I described earlier at 60 mph = 10 mpg.
Anybody with 4.10 or 3.73 got something bardave can use for comparison?

Kwikkordead 08-16-2006 08:11 PM

I have 4.88's on my F-550.
My mileage is considerably less than yours, and it's calculated by actual use, I don't have the overhead display.
Empty going 65 mph @ 2500 rpm (4.88's are LOW geared.) = 14 mpg
Towing, same speed = 9 mpg, 8 if I have a lot of hills or a head wind.