Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum168/)
-   -   Titration Test (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/517382-titration-test.html)

blieux1 08-12-2006 01:59 PM

Titration Test

Getting ready to make a second batch of biodiesel. Did my titration and came up with 4 tenths of a milliter to reach a ph of 8. The test was the same last time I made a batch.I'm using peanut oil from local resturaunt that only cooks in it for three nights a week. Just wanted to see if anyone else has ever titrated oil this low. I would also like some input on mist washing .

phatbulldog 08-12-2006 10:03 PM

I wouldn't think even pure veggie oil would titrate that low, but then again peanut oil is a higher quality.. I mist wash, Just lightly mist the first time then step it up with a bubbler on the second go around. After that I drop a heater in there for about 2 hrs or leave it in the sun. I let it sit afterwards for about 2 days just to make sure everything dropped out (soap and water) Also whats your base on titration? Your doing 5 as your base?

blieux1 08-12-2006 10:29 PM

I'm using KOH so my base is 7. The guy I got my oil from said he was using the best peanut oil he could find,so maybe that is why it tested so low.He only cooks three nights a week four hours a night so its not used much. He changes the oil every week.

kennedyford 08-14-2006 03:48 AM

Standard formula if your not a tree hugger and trying to save every single penny you have is....25 gallons oil, 5 gallons methanol, and 3lb of Koh or if your still using sodium 2 lbs. Heat oil 150 and add the contents of methaloxide and mix for one hour. Drain to holding tank and wait.

Drag_N_Fly_One 08-14-2006 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by kennedyford
Standard formula if your not a tree hugger and trying to save every single penny you have is....25 gallons oil, 5 gallons methanol, and 3lb of Koh or if your still using sodium 2 lbs. Heat oil 150 and add the contents of methaloxide and mix for one hour. Drain to holding tank and wait.

After all is said and done using this formula, how much fuel do you end up with?

cookie88 08-15-2006 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by kennedyford

Are you saying that formula can be used in lieu of the titration test?

monsterbaby 08-15-2006 08:58 PM

Cookie that formula will work almost everytime, the titration test will allow you to usually drop the amount of KOH or lye that your using, thus saving money and usually reducing the amount of soap produced.

Drag_N_Fly_One 08-17-2006 06:36 PM

Waits quietly 4 an answer.

fabmandelux 08-17-2006 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Drag_N_Fly_One
Waits quietly 4 an answer.

If you get full conversion you should get about 98 percent of your WVO converted to Biodiesel.

FABMANDELUX. :-X25 :-fire

Drag_N_Fly_One 08-17-2006 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by fabmandelux
If you get full conversion you should get about 98 percent of your WVO converted to Biodiesel.

FABMANDELUX. :-X25 :-fire

Thanks :) Ok.. another dumb question.. What's WVO stand for? It's gotta be sum sort of oil... i think i got that part figured. lol

monsterbaby 08-17-2006 08:59 PM

waste vegetable oil

cookie88 08-17-2006 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by monsterbaby
Cookie that formula will work almost everytime, the titration test will allow you to usually drop the amount of KOH or lye that your using, thus saving money and usually reducing the amount of soap produced.

Cool, thanks.