Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Virginia Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum147/)
-   -   Master blasters! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/515711-master-blasters.html)

afinepoint 08-06-2006 08:13 PM

Master blasters!

Dropped this one off in the General Discussion forum but want to stick it here as well.

Bought some Nathan horns and did a test mount on the truck. The horns were mounted on my Trac Racs. Ran temporary hoses and fittings in and out of rear window.

We've all heard trains as they approach crossing. That was me today. My wife sitting on the front porch could hear me well down the road. She said she was chuckling when she heard the blasts. I had to laugh as I sounded them off at the front of the garage last night. Scared a cat from under her car in the street.

Can't wait to install the onboard compressor and tanks. Sleepy-drifting, distracted-text-paging, "I-can-park-in-the-fire-lane-and-make-you-go- around" and I-like-to-roll-my-windows-down-and-play-my-music-so-loud-Canadians-can-hear-it drivers stand by.

Will post the results of the final installation.

Reg

01 F350 CC 7.3L LB dually

Franken-Truck 08-14-2006 08:15 PM

Lol, you might scare the sheet out of someone and cause em to crash! When you get it done, try and post a few sound clips :-headbang

afinepoint 08-14-2006 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Franken-Truck
Lol, you might scare the sheet out of someone and cause em to crash! headbang

I know. Giving a stranger a heart attack at a crossing would be the world's shortest and most regrettable practical joke.

I only plan to get people I know well - at the train crossing that is. Elsewhere "you reap what you sew."

If you want to hear what they sound like got to groverairhorns, click on Horn Sounds and scroll down to Nathan P3. Another place is trainweb.org. There are other sound clips as well on each of these sites.

Once I figure out how and where to mount the tanks in the frame rails the rest should go easy.

Reg

afinepoint 09-21-2006 04:50 AM

Finished the mounting plate for the horn. It bolts up nicely to the Trac Rac bar.

Am working on the tank and compressor skid. Plans are to mount the two tanks and compressor to iron bars and bolt these to the underside. I haven't figured out where to put the SOVs. Probably close to a heat source to prevent cold weather problems and away from tire thrown debris.

I can only do this outside so between my job and the weather the going is slow. I hope to get all done by Halloween. The kids have come to expect something special from our house each year. Boy are they in for a surprise this October 31st.

Reg

65vamonster 09-21-2006 09:00 PM

I have a similiar plan for my truck, have the horns and an expansion tank. What did you use for air compressors. All the 12v ones I run across are so expensive.

afinepoint 09-22-2006 07:42 AM

It's an Air Lift model. I know already that I am not going to be completely pleased with it. The output is low at <2 cfm at 0 psig. This means limited use of the air horns. The compressor is rated as continuous duty but should not run > 30 min or it may thermal out. I just needed something to get started.

All of these horns use lots of air. My shop compressor and tank has the same volume as the two on board ones which is 12 gallons. With it pressurized to 90 psig and the compessor OFF the horns lost volume after 5 -7 blasts . My small 120V shop compressor will not keep up with these air horns with the supply valve open. A 12V one doesn't stand a chance for more that a few short toots which is all I want - for now.

Working pressure for train horns is approx. 135+ psig so I will get more useage but the compressor has put back in what is taken out.

I have talked with a train horn enthusiast who uses a 25 gallon tank. He also uses a larger compressor. He does horn demonstations and says a smaller air volume just depletes too fast.

I would like to go with a 24V Oasis compressor but can not justify the $1000+ price tag. The Air Lift runs around $250. I haven't rigged up the tanks, compressor and horn off of the vehicle to test the SOVs and refill time and probably should but I need to find more air line first.

I can't do anything til my next day off which is next week.

Reg

afinepoint 11-01-2006 04:15 AM

Project complete. Will do a write-up and post in the Super Duty Forum.

I did do the train thing for Halloween. Made tracks from 2X4's nailed to planks leading from the street to the darkness of the house's side . Painted the top edges silver. Had the truck in the shadows with one headlight covered. Tapped on a metal bowl as the kids started up the drive. Then hit them with one high beam and the horn.

A new high has been reached for scaring the **** out of the kids. Although they loved it. They came from all over looking for the "train".

Franken-Truck 11-01-2006 06:53 PM

Before you drop it in the SuperDuty forum, contact Ken, an Admin or one of the SuperMods and see if they are still offering goodies in exchange for tech articles for the main page. Might be able to get some free T-shirts or $$ out of it :-X22

I'm glad you got to scare the crap out of kids, sounds like they had. . .a BLAST! Get it? I know, lol. . .

I didn't get a chance to scare anyone, it was all parents with 2-6 year olds that came around my way :-lamesign

afinepoint 11-02-2006 05:29 PM

Will do. Also the Air Lift pump did OK though I used the shop compressor to pressurize the tanks to 80 psig and the on-board took it from there. It took several minutes to make it to 140 psig. Not high output.

I have a few finishing touches to do. The lines are stout but I want to add some protective sheathing on each to guard against thrown rocks and where two pass through the fire wall.

Will probably join so I can include pictures vice having to link them. I see this as a large post.

afinepoint 11-24-2006 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by afinepoint
It's an Air Lift model. I know already that I am not going to be completely pleased with it.
Reg

I am pleased with it. It does a good job. You just can't lay on the horn. About 4-5 bursts from full tank pressure, which is 140 psig, drops pressure to about 115 psig where the compressor kicks in. A few minutes later you are back at 140.

Reg

Franken-Truck 11-24-2006 10:39 AM

Excellent! What did they say about that article?

afinepoint 11-24-2006 02:41 PM

I finished up the article several days ago. My wife is proofreading it. I need to decide if it requires more pictures.

My job with the overtime hasn't left much time. I hope to finish and then post next week.

What type of pictures would you like to see of the installation?

Reg

Franken-Truck 11-24-2006 10:20 PM

Me personally, outside of the standard install pics. . .The finished product of course :-D Oh, and I'd be really interested in how you routed any/all lines and wiring. You know, the tough to describe installation stuff. . .hows that saying go? A picture is worth its weight in gold, if gold were words and you had a thousand of them :-down

P.S. A sound clip would be awesome! That is if its possible :-X03

afinepoint 11-25-2006 01:19 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I forgot to take pictures of the setup while off the truck but I think I can get a few good ones of the finished product.

Good idea about the wires. I had planned to show the air lines and a wide view of the engine compartment wire runs but close-up might be better.

I felt this type of project doesn't need the step-by-step photos found in others since the possible layouts are endless. There's no one-way of doing it.

Sound file? Hmmmm I can try to attach one but have never done such. Might have to recruit my daughter for assistance.

Oh by the way, I ran to the mall yesterday - I know, I know black Friday and all but my anniversary is tomorrow, and as expected the parking lot was packed. I had to "honk" and talk about a response. People jumped well away from me. After parking a man approached and asked if the sound was I. I apologized if I had startled him but he was amused. He said he was wondering where the train was. I then told the story of my Halloween prank and by the time I was finished a small crowd had assembled.

What fun.

Hope you and all in the forum had a great Turkey day and should I forget to say later the best of holidays to you.

Reg :-X06

afinepoint 11-29-2006 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by afinepoint
I hope to finish and then post next week.

Reg

Still working on photographs. Wanted to clean up the wiring then retake a few pictures.