Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1978 - 1996 Big Bronco (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum44/)
-   -   351w crown vic police interceptor engine (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/513496-351w-crown-vic-police-interceptor-engine.html)

cw95bronc 07-29-2006 11:57 PM

351w crown vic police interceptor engine

I can get my hands on one with 50000 miles, fuel injected it was running strong until the car was totaled but nothing is wrong withe the engine, I know it will fit blaa blaa blaa. My question will this engine work well in a 95 with the 96 upgrades bronc as is, don't have time or the ability to rebuild? Mostly looking as a drop in. I know the 302ho out of mustang or what ever else is not a good set up for for the bronc wrong power range. Just wondering about this. I did search the forums found plenty on the 351 swap but none involved this type of engine.

Thanks for any info.

greystreak92 07-30-2006 12:02 AM

You are still dealing with an engine with the cam and valvetrain for a car rather than a truck. While the Crown Vic is a bigger car than an Mustang, the torque developement may still be a bit on the high side for the Bronco.

What exactly do you mean by "96 upgrades"? The entire engine family underwent the change from the original EEC-IV system to OBD-II between the 95 and 96 model years in the trucks. Not sure about the cars. There are significant differences in computer and sensor arrangements between the two years. It really depends upon how much of the setup you want to use. If you are talking just the longblock, then the only concern is that suggested in the first paragraph.

cw95bronc 07-30-2006 10:39 AM

Thanks greystreak, I enjoy reading your posts, good info

Yea, that is what I was thinking about the torque and hp band. I thaught maybe it would be close enough to the truck version due to weight of pi vics. I don't know much about vics, also might be a cam to gear ratio problem. I know cams are sensitive to the gear ratio running. Mostly looking at the long block.

My bronc was manf. 06 95 so most parts I've been finding is the same as 96. For some reason there is a difference from late 94 to 04 95.

What about this train of thaught, if the rear axle is a 3.55 ratio on the bronc and the vic is 3.23 roughly again if, with the numerically higher ratio, wouldn't the 355 gears counter act the higher power band of the vic. Or should I say the gears allow the engine get to its band quicker? Or am I not in the ballpark with this thaught.

Again Thanks for the info

greystreak92 07-30-2006 07:01 PM

It might... I say might because I have no idea what the gearing through the transmission is on the C/V's. The only time you are dealing with JUST the rear end gear ratio is at cruising speeds or after the torque has been developed and the vehicle is moving. Perhaps with taller rear end gears you could achieve the necessary rpm's to put the C/V engine into its band. You would need to compare results from the tire size/gear ratio formula (I've posted it several times in various threads or you can check out gear vendor websites that have this calculator built into them) to see how similar the two setups are and just how much it would change based on the difference between the Bronco tire size and the Crown Vic's along with the gear ratio difference.

BroncoRoadKill 08-01-2006 05:24 PM

They may have a better cam cause I think ford dropped marine cams into those engines just like they did the 302HOs in the GTs

bossind 08-02-2006 03:07 PM

Those police intercepter motors didn't have anything special in them, just dual exhaust, silcon hoses.

GypsyR 08-02-2006 08:09 PM

Bossind is quite correct. Even the Police 5.0 Mustangs used as "Interceptors" had absolutely nothing special done to the engines themselves by Ford. Likewise though many a 351W was used in a Police car none of them were "Interceptors" nor special in any way. And since Police cars starting in 1991 used 4.6 modular engines, we KNOW the engine you're looking at isn't a roller cam. Roller cams didn't show up until 1994 in trucks with block casting numbers starting with "F4TE..". So you may have a roller cam engine now and will most likely be trading down to a "flat tappet" engine.
BTW, some of the newer 4.6 Police engines (and cars) ARE designated as "Interceptors" by Ford and do in fact differ a bit internally from mainstream 4.6 engines.

cw95bronc 08-02-2006 08:33 PM

cool

I can accept that, thanks for more good info. The main question was cam in relation to gear ratio. I did not realize that they would have been non roller. So I'll pass on that set up. Thanks everyone.

AlfredB1979 08-02-2006 09:25 PM

A 351 engine from a PI is carbed.

You are losing power over a 302 if that is truly what you have in your hands.