Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   2005 F150 Fuel Injector Problem (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/513118-2005-f150-fuel-injector-problem.html)

jimmy24 07-28-2006 02:05 PM

2005 F150 Fuel Injector Problem

I bought a 2005 F150 supercrew w/ 5.4 Triton engine brand new. It now has 16000 miles on it and all was well until...

I was driving to work 2 days ago and all of a sudden my truck started acting all wierd. I couldn't accellerate and it seemed as though I was driving over rumble strips. I went directly to the garage and they told me that 2 fuel injectors mal-functioned and that flooded everything with gas. I needed 2 injectors and 8 spark plugs. The next day the garage called and said that they replaced the parts but now there is a treeible knowcing noise and that I needed a new engine.

Has anyone else ever heard of somethig like this? I am not a car wiz so what other things should I be aware of? What other questions should I be asking?

Jim

Cavtrooper06 07-28-2006 02:18 PM

Did you take it to a local garage or to the dealer. If your truck has less than 36,000 miles on it you are still covered by the factory 3yr/36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.

There have been some TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) concerning engine knocking and rough idling. Take a look, see what applies, and talk to your dealer.

Hope this helps.

jimmy24 07-28-2006 02:32 PM

I took it to the local Ford dealer which is also where I bought it. It is being covered under warrenty but this is the first time I ever had to have an engine replaced. Seems pretty major.

Jim

IB Tim 07-29-2006 06:00 AM

...Welcome Jim, to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

See you on the boards.:-X22 ….

jedfx4 08-04-2006 12:31 PM

I'm new to the forums, but in response to Jim's question, I have an '04 FX4 SC that went through the same thing. Funny thing was, it was at the dealer when it happened. It was in for another issue and when they were driving it back to the dealership, it pretty much died. To make a very long story short, the fuel injectors failed, causing damage to the block. I had to have a new block, PCM, and fuel injection system installed. The dealership also spoke with Ford and Ford told them of a spark plug issue and a new version of these were installed. This happened with 25,000 miles. It has been about 8 months and 12,000 miles and no problems. I was fortunate that the dealership I worked with was so detailed and took their time diagnosing the issues.

Koosh 08-09-2006 01:11 AM

I just bought my grandpas 04 F150 FX4 from him and Ive been driving it for about a month now. Just yesterday, I noticed an engine miss. I checked all the cylinders and the #5 (first plug, drivers side) is not firing. I changed the spark plug, but that didnt solve the problem. Then I switched the coil with a good cylinder and the problem was still at #5. Then I switched injectors.......you guessed it, #5 still wasnt firing. I made sure the injector and coil were both getting power (noid light). I know its covered under warranty, but I'm leaving in a few days and need my truck so I'd like to fix it asap. Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can rent a compression tester. Does anyone have any other ideas of what I could check?

Koosh 08-09-2006 01:25 AM

I just bought my grandpas 04 F150 FX4 from him and Ive been driving it for about a month now. Just yesterday, I noticed an engine miss. I checked all the cylinders and the #5 (first plug, drivers side) is not firing. I changed the spark plug, but that didnt solve the problem. Then I switched the coil with a good cylinder and the problem was still at #5. Then I switched injectors.......you guessed it, #5 still wasnt firing. I made sure the injector and coil were both getting power (noid light). I know its covered under warranty, but I'm leaving in a few days and need my truck so I'd like to fix it asap. Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can rent a compression tester. Does anyone have any other ideas of what I could check?

BigDogg715 08-22-2006 11:13 AM

Same problem with '05 f150

Same problem here with my '05 f150 screw with 11,000 miles. A couple of days ago the truck started misfiring and found that it was cylinder #3, and it was running lean. Took into the dealer they replaced a bad fuel injector and the truck runs great. Heard from a few folks running the triton 5.4 having the same issue with bad fuel injectors.

BigJoe2005 02-09-2011 03:43 PM

I am in the same boat 5.4 triton 2005 . I replaced a bad injector .Started right up w/o a miss. Now it sounds like a hammering on the flex plate. I am thinking about putting the bad injector back in . Anybody w/a better soulution than replacing the block that i'm not buying?

2Fords1Jeep 02-12-2011 05:08 PM

Same thing happened to my '05, but the leaking injector took out the catalytic convertor which was covered under warrantee.

fx4_truck 02-13-2011 04:19 PM

ford have a extended warrenty for faulty injector than caus domage to your moteur...(8year or 180 000km) I have a fx4 2005 5.4l ...it's the same thing happening to me last week. free ford rebuilt moteur .it's all warranty.

ryan70asu 02-13-2011 09:30 PM

Ya, I agree, Ford sent out letters to owners notifying them that the Injectors on the trucks could be faulty so they extended the warranty to 100k miles on the injectors. I've talked to a few mechanics who say that this particular problem with the injectors will frequently trash the motor.

tyree 08-17-2012 04:33 AM

There is a recall on the injectors they hang in the open position and can cause bad problems even engine complete failure and Hydrolocing. Sometimes the engine must be replaced.
Ford will do the repair work for free and provide a rental vehicle for you. However there are unscrupulous dealers out there so beware. My F 150 had an injector problem and it hydrolocked in Pilot Mountain NC the dealership there fixed the injector and put my wife and daughter back on their way to Canton Ohio where my daughter was to be married however 2 hours down the road it began to act up again they managed to limp to Canton and get it to Mullinax ford in Canton they fixed the injector but then said that there were other problems that would be our cost. I flew up there and went with my wife to pick it up. my dealership here in St. Cloud Fl. is Kissleback Ford and the service manager had told me that when the engine Hydrolocks raw fuel inadvertently into the Cat. converter and will burn it up. So at Mullinax I told the service manager that and I could hear the cat converter rattling badly but he just gave me the keys it was running badly and we didn't get far when the engine light came on and I took it back. I got a rental and made sure ford paid for it. The cat converter cost 1700 buck just the part! I argued with the service manager about the other codes they had listed but he said it would be my cost. so I called the ford hot line and they checked with the dealer and there the dealer said only the Cat. Converter code was present and that was all. After I got the truck back I took it straight to auto zone where they put the code reader on it and NO Codes were present. They had ERASED IT. I got back to Ford hot line and told him about it and nothing..... I am back in St. Cloud now and I am taking it to my dealership along with the paper work from Mullinax in Canton that shows all the codes they erased.

rgoodrich 02-12-2013 08:41 PM

i used to own an fx4 with to many problems 109000 miles on it traded it off fo 8000 paid 19000 drove it for 5 years.now i got a new toyota. i drove ford trucks from 1995 till 2013.ford needs to make recalls on crappy products. admit your mistakes.

70f100longbed 02-12-2013 09:55 PM

Reported. Everyone knows Ford extended the warranty on 2005 fuel injectors for 10 years/120000 miles. Go troll somewhere else